2B Platoon Mateo-Vavra

Pat Kelly

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I have serious doubts that Varva would have been able to provide the requisite launch angle to do that given his in ability to handle Major League velo up in the zone. 

Did you watch the majority of his MLB ABs? Pitchers consistently attack him at this level up in the zone because he offers no power threat whatsoever. And I'm not just talking about home runs, I'm talking about exit velo/the ability to drive/hit a baseball hard.

Well first off, I’m not necessarily advocating that he could’ve done so, just that that’s what meant by bat control.

For second, hell, a double play could’ve worked with the run scoring on the DP.  His 2022 K% and BB% put him at less likely to just strike out there uselessly. Even if it is just a DP.  A softly hit ground ball likely results in a  DP that allows the run to score. Bat control.

Lastly, in only 109 PA’s in 2022, he managed at least a few sac flies (the first of which is on an up in the zone 93.6 MPH sinker):

https://www.mlb.com/video/alek-manoah-in-play-run-s-to-terrin-vavra

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/video/bal-tor-87195b

Edited by Orioles Jim

37 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

Well first off, I’m not necessarily advocating that he could’ve done so, just that that’s what meant by bat control.

For second, hell, a double play could’ve worked with the run scoring on the DP.  His 2022 K% and BB% put him at less likely to just strike out there uselessly. Even if it is just a DP.  A softly hit ground ball likely results in a  DP that allows the run to score. Bat control.

Lastly, in only 109 PA’s in 2022, he managed at least a few sac flies (the first of which is on an up in the zone 93.6 MPH sinker):

https://www.mlb.com/video/alek-manoah-in-play-run-s-to-terrin-vavra

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/video/bal-tor-87195b

So now he should be up based on his ability to hit into a ground ball DP? are you being serious or are you just trolling

5 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

So now he should be up based on his ability to hit into a ground ball DP? are you being serious or are you just trolling

Thanks for the two options, but I’ll go ahead and go with C, none of the above and that you’re missing my point.

He asked what bat control means. I answered the question.

I always liked Vavra. Them moving LF fence back hurt his defensive value. He’s a great piece to have in the organization in case of injury. His arm was never great prior to injury. I would have much rather him hit in Hays spot last night with bases loaded.

What saves Urias is his ability to play 3B and give Westburg some time off. Vavra has played 5 games at 3B at Norfolk without an error and Nick Maton 8 without an error. 

If Urias goes, Maton would probably have first shot at replacing him though it's clear they are trying to see if Vavra can play 3B effectively.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

What saves Urias is his ability to play 3B and give Westburg some time off. Vavra has played 5 games at 3B at Norfolk without an error and Nick Maton 8 without an error. 

If Urias goes, Maton would probably have first shot at replacing him though it's clear they are trying to see if Vavra can play 3B effectively.

Interesting! I know the knock on him was his arm (which, for 2B was particularly glaring), but maybe post shoulder surgery his arm is doing better?

7 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

Thanks for the two options, but I’ll go ahead and go with C, none of the above and that you’re missing my point.

He asked what bat control means. I answered the question.

I'll go with option C too, was just having a little fun, sorry

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

From Roch:

“Triple-A Norfolk infielder Terrin Vavra had another health setback. He’s going on the injured list with a left groin strain.”

Poor Vavra makes David Segui look like Cal Ripken Jr.