Red Sox series May 27th-29th

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Haha I really don’t care. I’m sure he’s got a stick up his ass cause I said the goal is 2 out of 3 which he apparently thinks is stupid. But winning 66% of your games across a season would be pretty historic, that seems to be over his head. 

I am not looking forward to our offense facing this guy today.  

As the Joker said, wait till they get a load of me.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Can we get MLB to maybe add a Blue Sox, Black Sox, any color Sox. 8 straight now vs Sox teams (maybe more going back to last season). 

Pretty sure we lost the season finale to the Red Sox last year. 

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pretty sure we lost the season finale to the Red Sox last year. 

Yeah you’re right. We clinched the division against them on the Thursday first game of a four gamer, and then lost 2 of 3 over the weekend that didn’t matter, including the finale. 

So 8 in a row it is. 

I said this in the game thread but it’s amazing to think Connor Wong is hitting three hole for Boston today. A storied franchise with tons of revenue. We are use to Manny, Papi, Garciaparra, Betts, Boegarts.

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I said this in the game thread but it’s amazing to think Connor Wong is hitting three hole for Boston today. A storied franchise with tons of revenue. We are use to Manny, Papi, Garciaparra, Betts, Boegarts.

Connor Wong is slashing .333/.367/.488 with an OPS+ of 137 coming into today. He would have the second-highest OPS on the Orioles behind Gunnar.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Red Sox are 3 games under their Pythagorean record of 30-23, so they’ve underperformed.  If you’re looking for reasons why, you can start with their shoddy defense.  

The shoddy defense was on full display today.  In the big 4th inning, Cowser reached on an error, Stowers got a double on a somewhat lazy fly to deep LF that the outfielder got a terrible jump on, and then Mullins hit a ball into the gap that should have been a double but the outfielder kicked it into a triple.  Before that, the $50 mm CF Rafaela made an incredibly weak throw home that allowed Mateo to score easily on a 258-foot fly out.  Then later, he chose to coast back on a Cowser fly out with runners on 1st and 2nd, rather than hustling back and positioning himself to throw, allowing Mountcastle to tag up from 1B and reach 2B, and then score on Stowers’ ground single.  They are just not a fundamentally sound defensive team at all.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

The shoddy defense was on full display today.  In the big 4th inning, Cowser reached on an error, Stowers got a double on a somewhat lazy fly to deep LF that the outfielder got a terrible jump on, and then Mullins hit a ball into the gap that should have been a double but the outfielder kicked it into a triple.  Before that, the $50 mm CF Rafaela made an incredibly weak throw home that allowed Mateo to score easily on a 258-foot fly out.  Then later, he chose to coast back on a Cowser fly out with runners on 1st and 2nd, rather than hustling back and positioning himself to throw, allowing Mountcastle to tag up from 1B and reach 2B, and then score on Stowers’ ground single.  They are just not a fundamentally sound defensive team at all.

It sure was. should be a reminder to those that want to swap Norby, Mayo for Urias and Hayes. Many here have become used to our above average to very good to great defense that its taken for granted. Guys (Vets) like Mateo, Mullins Hayes, and even Mountcastle (Urias not so much) are her for a reason. This front office values  Defense and its not for free.

16 hours ago, Malike said:

Connor Wong is slashing .333/.367/.488 with an OPS+ of 137 coming into today. He would have the second-highest OPS on the Orioles behind Gunnar.

He’s also 28 years old with career 711 OPS and only 190 games played. Connor Wong is more than likely a career back up catcher who is having a good 2 months. The ownership and management has really let that fanbase down since Betts debacle. I’m not complaining.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

He’s also 28 years old with career 711 OPS and only 190 games played. Connor Wong is more than likely a career back up catcher who is having a good 2 months. The ownership and management has really let that fanbase down since Betts debacle. I’m not complaining.

He got his first real shot in MLB last year. He's hit everywhere he's played so it's not that surprising that a catcher in his first full season at the MLB level took a year to hit some. He was the 16 overall prospect in 2020. He's not void of talent.

Edited by Malike