Who will be All Stars?

Who will be All Stars? Multiple Choices  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be All Stars? - Multiple Choices

14 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Not enough homers to move the needle for an all-star game. 

He's sub .800 OPS right now also. He's trending in the wrong direction. When he was blistering hot against the Sox in April I said I'd be happy with a .750, I'm holding that position.

35 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's sub .800 OPS right now also. He's trending in the wrong direction. When he was blistering hot against the Sox in April I said I'd be happy with a .750, I'm holding that position.

I don’t disagree with the broader point, but over the last 11 days he’s had a .678 OPS and a .948 xOPS (.404 xwOBA).  He’s had some bad luck but is having good at bats. I’m not sure it’s fair to say that he’s trending in the wrong direction.

• Upvote 1

The first four. 

Tough to predict pitchers because one month can go a long way to solidifying their case or removing them from the conversation.  Bradish, Rodriguez, and Irvin all in the conversation, in addition to the obvious one (Burnes). 

Irvin could be a surprise All Star. He's certainly earned consideration this season.

Bradish hasn't had a full 2024 season but might be elected based on his success from 2023 to go along with how good he's been pitching since his return.

Adley and Gunnar are shoe ins and Westburg has played more consistently good than they have. Westburg isn't as big if a name but he deserves to be an All Star just as much as they do, if not more.

Corbin Burnes is Corbin Burnes so he's going to be an All Star, no doubt.

2 hours ago, Malike said:

Agreed anything between 750 and 800 would be a nice first season. 

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Agreed anything between 750 and 800 would be a nice first season. 

Both he and Miller are at 1.1 bWAR, it would be great if Cowser can play well enough to win ROY for the pick.

12 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Irvin could be a surprise All Star. He's certainly earned consideration this season.

It would be a huge surprise. He is 46th in the AL in innings, so probably not really under consideration

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

We could just wait until after the all star teams are named. Then we would be extremely informed.

I’m partly venting because I hate the fact that the all-star voting starts so early.  And this discussion is even earlier than that, by 2+ weeks.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m partly venting because I hate the fact that the all-star voting starts so early.  And this discussion is even earlier than that, by 2+ weeks.  

Its is stupid. I remember going to games and being like why am I getting a all-star ballet right now.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Understood. But I knew who was going to be good and who wasn't on April 1st.

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

It would be a huge surprise. He is 46th in the AL in innings, so probably not really under consideration

Realistically, Irvin probably gets 6-7 more starts before the AL manager chooses the pitching staff in early July.  Considering he’s only made 8 starts (plus two relief appearances) so far, those 6-7 starts will have a huge impact on his ERA and on how his innings total looks.  Right now he’s 1.1 innings short of qualifying (50.2 IP in 52 games) but easily could make that up over 6-7 starts if he pitches well.  I have a feeling that if he has a 2.84 ERA as of early July, his innings total won’t prevent him from making the all star team.   But right  now, there are 13 qualified starters who have a better ERA than that.  I doubt there will be 13 in July.  

Just as an aside, there’s an awful lot of starting pitchers around the league who are doing well.   Whenever we get critical of our offense, we need to remember that this has been an extremely pitcher-friendly season throughout MLB.  Teams are scoring 0.29 runs/game less than last year.  

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Really?  I don’t have your powers.   I only have educated guesses on April 1, half of which turn out to be wrong.  That’s why I watch the games.  

50 minutes ago, Malike said:

Both he and Miller are at 1.1 bWAR, it would be great if Cowser can play well enough to win ROY for the pick.

For sure.  I didn't realize Miller was eligible.  I can't see Cowser beating him out at present since Miller has been so dominant.  Cowser is going to have to accumulate more of the counting stats to beat an otherworldly closer season.  

34 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I think the ole DB made a self incriminating joke. If so well done. If not…well never mind.