Weiters in Frederick/Bowie in 2008

AVencill

Loewen was consistently in the 93-95 range with his fastball last season, and that's with some serious cutting action. You are seriously underestimating his stuff. I may be in the minority, but I think it's better than Bedard's.

I am in that minority with you. I think Loewen's stuff can be better than Bedards.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Loewen was consistently in the 93-95 range with his fastball last season, and that's with some serious cutting action. You are seriously underestimating his stuff. I may be in the minority, but I think it's better than Bedard's.

I've never seen Loewen consistently in the 93-95mph range. When I've watched him (virtually every major league start he's made) he's worked in the 89-92 range, with an occasional fastball at 93-94.

I've never seen Loewen consistently in the 93-95mph range. When I've watched him (virtually every major league start he's made) he's worked in the 89-92 range, with an occasional fastball at 93-94.

Well maybe we're watching two different radar guns, because every time I've watched him, his fast ball sat comfortably at 93, and he's cranked it up to 95 when reaching back. Sure, he takes some off at times, but he can still pitch (from what I've seen) in the 93-95 range.

I'm with you. I've seen him touch 93-94, but the great majority of the time he's 88-92. No way was he ever consistently in the 93-95 range. Anyone who states otherwise should get their eyes tested or change the orange colored tint on their shades to something more neutral.

There's a great way to make your point...insult everyone who disagrees. It sounds like people have seen two different readings on the gun. The scouting report on Loewen since he was drafted was that he threw comfortably in the low-mid 90s. With some of the injuries and questions about his mechanics, it seems he has varied between that and a less impressive (~90) range. Either way, it certainly is disputable and it's both childish and errant for you to insult/denigrate all who hold the opposite view of yourself. Not to mention, you have provided all of ZERO evidence that your argument is correct.

Also, I think O's fan from NC may be onto something, considering Loewen's preference for sinkers/cutters v the 4-seamer.

There's a great way to make your point...insult everyone who disagrees. It sounds like people have seen two different readings on the gun. The scouting report on Loewen since he was drafted was that he threw comfortably in the low-mid 90s. With some of the injuries and questions about his mechanics, it seems he has varied between that and a less impressive (~90) range. Either way, it certainly is disputable and it's both childish and errant for you to insult/denigrate all who hold the opposite view of yourself. Not to mention, you have provided all of ZERO evidence that your argument is correct.

Also, I think O's fan from NC may be onto something, considering Loewen's preference for sinkers/cutters v the 4-seamer.

Where Loewen's velocity sits isn't really on opinion or a viewpoint, though. I've never seen him sit at 93-95 for most of a game. He's almost always in the 88-92 range. He can dial it up faster, but he certainly hasn't had games where he stays that high all game.

Where Loewen's velocity sits isn't really on opinion or a viewpoint, though. I've never seen him sit at 93-95 for most of a game. He's almost always in the 88-92 range. He can dial it up faster, but he certainly hasn't had games where he stays that high all game.

What he said.

Loewen's fastball velocity is usually 88-92.

Elite college ball is nowhere near Double-A level. The vast majority of the players playing the top college ball are not even pro prospects. I would say it's a lot closer to Sally League or Rookie level....

High-level college ball might not be AA, but it's not Rookie League, either.

The problem with any of these college-pro translations is that college teams and leagues have a wider spread of talent than in a pro league. In a sense NCAA ball is more like Japan or Mexico, or any independent league that isn't automatically funneling 100% of their best players to the majors - you'll have players in college who'd never be drafted in a million years, but you also have guys like Weiters who're nearly MLB hitters right now. Yes, there are pitchers at the back end of college pens with 72 mph fastballs, but you also have guys equivalent to Huston Street who'll go from the College WS to closing major league games in six weeks.

And that goes for whole teams and leagues, too. Georgia Tech or Miami could probably step in and play well in the Carolina League, but a mid-level Big East team might have problems in the NY-Penn League. There's just a wide diversity of talent.

High-level college ball might not be AA, but it's not Rookie League, either.

The problem with any of these college-pro translations is that college teams and leagues have a wider spread of talent than in a pro league. In a sense NCAA ball is more like Japan or Mexico, or any independent league that isn't automatically funneling 100% of their best players to the majors - you'll have players in college who'd never be drafted in a million years, but you also have guys like Weiters who're nearly MLB hitters right now. Yes, there are pitchers at the back end of college pens with 72 mph fastballs, but you also have guys equivalent to Huston Street who'll go from the College WS to closing major league games in six weeks.

And that goes for whole teams and leagues, too. Georgia Tech or Miami could probably step in and play well in the Carolina League, but a mid-level Big East team might have problems in the NY-Penn League. There's just a wide diversity of talent.

I think this is a spot on statement. I would think the scouts would look at how players do when they face the cream of the crop to try to determine at what level a college player is at. Now this screams sample size problems, but I would imagine it is how it is done anyway.

I think I will trust Jordan's view that he is already at the AA level in his play.

Georgia Tech or Miami could probably step in and play well in the Carolina League, but a mid-level Big East team might have problems in the NY-Penn League. There's just a wide diversity of talent.

There is no way the current GaTech roster could "play well" in the Carolina league over the course of a season. They would not have appropriate depth either offensively (moving to a wood bat) or (especially) pitching-wise - going five starters deep.

There is no way the current GaTech roster could "play well" in the Carolina league over the course of a season. They would not have appropriate depth either offensively (moving to a wood bat) or (especially) pitching-wise - going five starters deep.

Isn't that essentially what I was saying? The top level talent in the ACC is probably just as good as that in high A, maybe better, but the back ends of the rosters don't match up. Hence the unaffiliated league comparison.

I'd have a hard time believing that the level of play at any ACC school is near the Carolina League. No doubt the very best players like Weiters or Teixeira are good enough to thrive at a level that high. But just looking over the guys drafted out of GT the past few years, and it's all guys who started out no higher than low-A. And these guys didn't exactly dominate in the way you'd expect if they were playing one or two levels below where they should be.

I agree 100%. Just look at Frederick's rotation and any of those 5 would easily be No. 1's or 2's in any top Division 1 league(ACC, Pac-10, etc)

Archived