Lance "Born Ready" Stephenson ditching Maryland?

terp89

I'm not too sure how accurate this website is, but it says:

Lance Stephenson will make his college announcement April 1 at the McDonald’s All-American Game in Miami and will likely choose from between defending NCAA champion Kansas and St. John’s.

The 6-foot-5 Stephenson, ranked No. 1 in the Class of 2009 by Hoop Scoop and No. 9 by Rivals, had initially said he might announce after Saturday’s PSAL championship game at Madison Square Garden.

Top-seeded Lincoln is seeking its fourth straight PSAL title and will face No. 2 Kennedy at noon at the Garden.

Instead, Stephenson will wait until April 1, with Kansas or St. John’s the likeliest destinations. Kansas assistant Danny Manning and St. John’s head coach Norm Roberts have been tracking Stephenson in recent weeks.

Stephenson has taken an official visit to Kansas and has seen St. John’s unofficially on numerous occasions.

He also took a much-discussed official visit to Maryland but a source with knowledge said Maryland is basically out of the picture.

Source: http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/17/stephenson-to-announce-at-mcdonalds-game/

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the UA story isn't the reason he ends up going elsewhere. The other ACC coaches who ran with this story to the Washington Post should be ashamed for what they did. His visiting a shoe company has nothing to do with his attending MD. If UA'S corporate offices were in Charlotte would it have made a difference? You know it would have or if they were in Blacksburg, VA? VT did a number on the Terps and probably the other big name coaches in the ACC who would not let their names be used for the story. If his parents send their son in another direction they are making a mistake. It's a lot easier seeing their son play in College Park driving or taking a train down from NY than flying to Kansas in a Kansas Corp Jet. St Johns is terrible and Lance is not turning their program around. Plus he would get more National TV coverage playing in the ACC. I still never heard what schools the Post writers attended. This should be easy to research. Does anyone know?

Guest Sailor Jerry

Oh for crying out loud. The Post isn't to blame, and the story they wrote raises legitimate questions. It never came out and alleged anything was wrong. It merely raised some questions that anyone not blinded by their love of Maryland (and I'm an admitted homer) will admit exist. The whole idea that the Post is out to ruin Maryland and is anti-Gary is paranoid absurdity.

And lastly, no way the Post is going to have that much influence on some hyped-up 18-year-old. All this fawning over him has been pathetic as it is. He's still just a teenage kid and there's never been any certainty he's going to Maryland. Kansas gets on national TV every once in a while too and has a little bit of a reputation.

I hope the UA story isn't the reason he ends up going elsewhere. The other ACC coaches who ran with this story to the Washington Post should be ashamed for what they did. His visiting a shoe company has nothing to do with his attending MD. If UA'S corporate offices were in Charlotte would it have made a difference? You know it would have or if they were in Blacksburg, VA? VT did a number on the Terps and probably the other big name coaches in the ACC who would not let their names be used for the story. If his parents send their son in another direction they are making a mistake. It's a lot easier seeing their son play in College Park driving or taking a train down from NY than flying to Kansas in a Kansas Corp Jet. St Johns is terrible and Lance is not turning their program around. Plus he would get more National TV coverage playing in the ACC. I still never heard what schools the Post writers attended. This should be easy to research. Does anyone know?

I love how many followers of recruiting often feel they know what's best for a recruit they don't even know.

And, if this was the other way around, you would most certainly be ripping that other school for trying to gain an unfair recruiting advantage.

Of course he's not coming. Seriously, as Maryland fans your best bet is to convince yourself Maryland won't get any top recruits under any circumstances. Even if we get a commitment from a top player it seems there is less than a 50/50 chance he'll actually end up on campus. Heck, being on campus and taking classes doesn't mean a kid will end up playing for this program. Between Gary being a poor recruiter and other administrative issues getting highly regarded kids to step on the court for Maryland seems nearly impossible.

Of course he's not coming. Seriously, as Maryland fans your best bet is to convince yourself Maryland won't get any top recruits under any circumstances. Even if we get a commitment from a top player it seems there is less than a 50/50 chance he'll actually end up on campus. Heck, being on campus and taking classes doesn't mean a kid will end up playing for this program. Between Gary being a poor recruiter and other administrative issues getting highly regarded kids to step on the court for Maryland seems nearly impossible.

I can't believe folks actually thought he might. Though less due your institutional incompetence argument than the simple fact that we make a lot less sense than either St. Johns or Kansas.

I can't believe folks actually thought he might. Though less due your institutional incompetence argument than the simple fact that we make a lot less sense than either St. Johns or Kansas.

As a one and done player Maryland made some sense as he would've been guaranteed a starting spot and the ability to showcase his talent in the premier basketball conference. At Kansas he might not start, and even if he does he has to defer to a good bit of talent around him. At St John's he probably has free reign but he's playing on a pretty irrelevant team getting very little national coverage.

Yes, IMO most of the recruiting issues stem from institutional incompetence but we are pretty snake bitten too. Even when we think we catch a break and there is good news it never seems to go off without a hitch.

This team needs Born Ready.

If he comes, then Vasquez stays, and that could be a great team.

But if he doesn't come, then Vasquez will leave and the team would be awful.

I still think Maryland is still in the running though.

If all he really cares about is playing for a year and securing himself a lottery spot, I think he's going to St. John's.

Exactly. My thought too. And if he wants to be vetted by a "legitimate" program, he's going to go to Kansas. Maryland is just some middle ground that doesn't fit either way.

Two quotes give me hope:

I don’t base my decision on that,” he said. “I base my decision on the players surrounding me, the coach and wherever I feel comfortable at.”

I want a coach that’s going to push me, the players surrounding me are good, and I just want to have a chance to win the tournament,”

There so many factors at play here that looking at this rationally may be a waste of time but he would be a perfect fit on the wing in Md's offense. I can't help but think he is referencing GV's ability to set him up for jumpers with his ability to penetrate and GW's pushing him on defense. I have not seen a lot of Kansas but he would be in great shape for a "one and done" at Md-not sure he would be the same offensive option at KU and he certainly won't be set up at SJU. Also on Md's side is that nice UA contract waiting after he declares....:scratchchinhmm:

Zags Blog updates status on Stephenson

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/18/lance-stephenson-has-decided/#more-13643

Stephenson states he has made up his mind, and that he will announce April 1st. Says that he speaks to St John's, MD, and Kansas everyday, and it will be one of the three.

It's kind of strange that - if he made up his mind - why does he still talk to coaches on the teams he didn't choose. My guess (just a guess) is that he's narrowed it down to those 3 and really hasn't decided which one is his final choice. He says he's chosen so adoring/annoying fans will stop saying - Please choose us!!!!!!!

It's kind of strange that - if he made up his mind - why does he still talk to coaches on the teams he didn't choose.
He keeps talking to everyone because he doesn't want the coaches to know what he's chosen yet.

If he says he's made up his mind, then I think he's telling the truth. I just hope he chooses Maryland. We're a top-15 team with him and Greivis next year.

Archived