The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

this isn’t a knock against Holliday but 

Manny Machado, Bryce Harper, Juan Soto, Acuna, Vlad Jr … 

should I keep going 

Yes, please keep going. Because that's FIVE in how many years??

1 hour ago, SilentJames said:

I would love to see Trout on the Phillies. 

God, Harper and he on the same team - I can't hate on the Phils man, i feel like they are our cousins in vibes. 

Adding Trout and God to the Phils? Not sure their farm system is deep enough.

• Haha 1

What does everyone think would be the price for Tarik Skubal if the Tigers are out of it at the deadline? I saw this article suggesting Holliday or Holliday + Povich/Bradfield. 

https://birdswatcher.com/posts/this-jackson-holliday-trade-would-be-orioles-smartest-deadline-move-tarik-skubal-tigers-01hykb1sw3ds

Ideally we don’t trade Holliday. What about Kjerstad, Norby, plus either Povich or Mcdermott for Skubal? Maybe not enough, but it would be nice for Norby to look good enough in the majors to raise his value for a trade like this to work. Skubal and Burnes would make a nasty 1-2 combo in the playoffs this year and Skubal has 2 more years of control after this year. 

3 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

What does everyone think would be the price for Tarik Skubal if the Tigers are out of it at the deadline? I saw this article suggesting Holliday or Holliday + Povich/Bradfield. 

https://birdswatcher.com/posts/this-jackson-holliday-trade-would-be-orioles-smartest-deadline-move-tarik-skubal-tigers-01hykb1sw3ds

Ideally we don’t trade Holliday. What about Kjerstad, Norby, plus either Povich or Mcdermott for Skubal? Maybe not enough, but it would be nice for Norby to look good enough in the majors to raise his value for a trade like this to work. Skubal and Burnes would make a nasty 1-2 combo in the playoffs this year and Skubal has 2 more years of control after this year. 

Holliday, Mayo or Basallo have to be in the deal and it won’t end with them.

Skubal is really good and is putting up some numbers we haven’t seen since Pedro’s historic run. 

There is an injury/durability concern though and I don’t think that should be overlooked.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I guess that would be fine. But what is the plan to fix the pen along with that? Because unless they are throwing 9 inning games, that won't be enough given the shaky nature of the pen. 

15 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Kjerstad + McDermott for Crochet.  Controlled for 2025 and 2026 beyond this year.  Big 3 of Bradish, Gray Rod, and Crochet in 2025. 

Is that any better than what we have now? I get that it's cheaper. But with a team that has an extremely low payroll like ours, I don't really see why we are trying to go cheap. If we are saving money by doing this kind of acquisition, where/what would be the plan for using/spending money to improve the roster? 

3 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I think there is a reason Tommy Pham has played with 8 teams in his 11 baseball seasons...

He’s got more “incidents” than your average player.

Former teammate calls Tommy Pham out.

After seeing the viral incident between Pham and the Padres fans, former teammate and roommate Josh Wilson ripped the outfielder to shreds in an online post.

Tommy Pham’s MiLB roommate REALLY coming for him on Twitter… pic.twitter.com/wcM0Iuqy6h

— Neil Kucera (@NWKMF) August 20, 2023

“Pham is my former roommate in the minor leagues. He’s an absolute waste of a human being. Literally the worst person I’ve come across in my 36 years of life.”

Wilson isn’t the only baseball player with a beef.

Last season, Pham and Joc Pederson got into a pregame scuffle where Pham reportedly slapped Pederson across the face. The altercation apparently sparked from a fantasy football disagreement.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I think who Elias may be open to dealing is interesting, as not only does he need to consider what he's getting, but the makeup of the roster in the coming years... especially 2025.  Odds are that Santander will move on, but that's not a certainty.  Mullins and Hays may also find themselves on the outside looking in, despite having one year of control remaining.  (FWIW I understand there are a lot of games to be played, and both Hays and Mullins could perform much better.)  The infield is stronger, with Mountcastle, Henderson, Westburg and Rutschman, and the hopeful return to 2B of Jackson Holliday.  DH is in flux, with O'Hearn often getting AB's there, or Rutschman when he's not catching.  So, the possibility exists that two outfield positions could open up to internal competition, with Cowser taking the third in either CF or a COF.  Kjerstad, Norby, and Stowers would be in the mix, and possibly Mayo down the road. So, these sorts of things are part of what Elias must consider in trade talks.  Naturally, internal options are just one avenue, as we can always add a FA to the mix or trade for an OF.  Anyway, there is so much to weigh; this year versus the coming seasons... who stays, who goes, etc.  Again, so very interesting.  

Edited by Greg Pappas

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Is that any better than what we have now? I get that it's cheaper. But with a team that has an extremely low payroll like ours, I don't really see why we are trying to go cheap. If we are saving money by doing this kind of acquisition, where/what would be the plan for using/spending money to improve the roster? 

The plan is to improve the roster, whether spending money or not.  This would open a spot in RF for Norby.  Kjerstad is probably better than Norby at the plate, but that doesn't help the O's in 2024.  Crochet gives the O's another elite arm in 2024.  I would have Crochet start and put Irvin in the pen.  Irvin was a real weapon in the pen and he would be a difference maker in the playoffs.  Playoff rotation is:  Burnes, Bradish, Crochet, Gray Rod.  Health problems might knock Bradish out of rotation.  Still need back end arm for bullpen.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Skubal has never pitched more than 150 innings and he'll be 28 next year. I dunno man. The results are legit for sure, but not sure he's worth Holliday. 

Yeah ideally we don’t have to trade Holliday. I’d do a package that’s headlined by Kjerstad and one of our top pitchers though. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Holliday, Mayo or Basallo have to be in the deal and it won’t end with them.

Skubal is really good and is putting up some numbers we haven’t seen since Pedro’s historic run. 

There is an injury/durability concern though and I don’t think that should be overlooked.

He’s looked good since his surgery 2 years ago. Are there any pitchers that could be available that don’t have any injury/durability concerns? Seems like that’s a risk we are going to have to take with just about any pitcher we trade for at the deadline.

With that in mind, maybe a cheaper bullpen option is a better way to go at the deadline, but I feel like adding Skubal puts our rotation in a really good position to make a deep playoff run. Burnes, Skubal, Rodriguez, and Bradish would be an amazing top 4. 

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s got more “incidents” than your average player.

Former teammate calls Tommy Pham out.

After seeing the viral incident between Pham and the Padres fans, former teammate and roommate Josh Wilson ripped the outfielder to shreds in an online post.

Tommy Pham’s MiLB roommate REALLY coming for him on Twitter… pic.twitter.com/wcM0Iuqy6h

— Neil Kucera (@NWKMF) August 20, 2023

“Pham is my former roommate in the minor leagues. He’s an absolute waste of a human being. Literally the worst person I’ve come across in my 36 years of life.”

Wilson isn’t the only baseball player with a beef.

Last season, Pham and Joc Pederson got into a pregame scuffle where Pham reportedly slapped Pederson across the face. The altercation apparently sparked from a fantasy football disagreement.

Didn’t he get stabbed outside a strip joint? 

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The plan is to improve the roster, whether spending money or not.  This would open a spot in RF for Norby.  Kjerstad is probably better than Norby at the plate, but that doesn't help the O's in 2024.  Crochet gives the O's another elite arm in 2024.  I would have Crochet start and put Irvin in the pen.  Irvin was a real weapon in the pen and he would be a difference maker in the playoffs.  Playoff rotation is:  Burnes, Bradish, Crochet, Gray Rod.  Health problems might knock Bradish out of rotation.  Still need back end arm for bullpen.

Mayo is probably going to have to play RF next year (or Kjerstad if we are keeping him). Holliday we almost assuredly occupy the only INF spot available at 2B (next year).

For this year, I don't want Norby starting over Santander in RF. Nothing about that seems wise/appealing to me as it would almost inevitably be a step backward. I don't see it being very realistic/probable that Norby out OPS's Santander for the rest of 2024. Santander most likely is beginning to heat up (like he did last year after a slow start).

I'm not that keen on the idea of banking on Irvin to be a shut down reliever in the Fall. I don't really believe that he has the stuff profile for that.

IMO the rotation will be fine as is when Kremer returns. But I have ZERO confidence that this bullpen can pitch us to multiple rounds of postseason success against the best hitters and teams. I can already foresee Cano and/or Kimbrel surrendering late leads in October.