The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Now I dont want to see Norby traded..but I am prepared for it if he is is dealt..Id rather lose Stowers and Urias and Mateo for pitching...

Why don't you want good pitching?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Now I dont want to see Norby traded..but I am prepared for it if he is is dealt..Id rather lose Stowers and Urias and Mateo for pitching...

Not big on losing Mateo. I’d sub him out for Hays. 

Posted (edited)

I'd prefer Elias to nab at least one bullpen piece (preferably a closer) before looking to add to other spots (preferably a starter with a couple of controllable years.)  The order in which the trades are made is not necessarily important, as the players/prospects that get discussed may not overlap.  It's impossible to know this, of course.  But as a fan, knowing we have strengthened our one area of true concern (bullpen) would be comforting.

Edited by Greg Pappas

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Trade Mayo for Mitch Keller

Sign Burnes in the offseason

Burnes, Keller, Rodriguez, Bradish (Kremer, Irvin, Povich) rotation for a few years

It would be nice if we were able to re-sign Burnes, but that likelihood is low.  Keller is almost certainly not available, as he's signed with the Pirates through 2028 and they sit only 1.5 games out of the wild card.  Now, if they fall out of it be the deadline, it could get interesting.  Even though Keller is a key piece of their rotation with Skenes, Jones, and Falter, they do have plenty of holes to fill offensively.  So, them peddling him for offense could become a possibility.

Edited by Greg Pappas

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

It would be nice if we were able to re-sign Burnes, but that likelihood is low.  Keller is almost certainly not available, as he's signed with the Pirates through 2028 and they sit only 1.5 games out of the wild card.  Even if they fall out of contention, I have serious doubts they'd entertain moving him as he's a vital piece of their rotation.

You are probably right, but their bats stink and they aren’t going anywhere without offense, which they could acquire with the savings from unloading the Keller contract.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

You are probably right, but their bats stink and they aren’t going anywhere without offense, which they could acquire with the savings from unloading the Keller contract.

This is a good point, and I edited my post a couple of minutes ago to note that possibilty.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Of course we would all rather part with the players with the lowest value possible. But more than likely Urias has no trade value and Mateo has little. Certainly not the kind that can bring us a reliable to dominant power arm to go at the back of the bullpen.