The 2024 Trade Deadline

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Maybe get Kopech in the deal as well.

I personally don’t believe there will be a stud reliever/closer type guy out there.

But Kopech and a guy like Nardi could be good and I doubt we have to give up much to get them..at least much in the grand scheme of things.

Nardi’s good. If we’re looking at RH’s I think Hunter Harvey, Yimi Garcia, and Fernando Cruz would be my top 3 options if Helsley costs too much or STL doesn’t sell. 

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you can get Robert without giving up your top 3 prospects, I think you look heavily into doing that.

The only one I'd hold onto for Robert is Holliday.   I'm happy to give up Mayo, Kjerstad, or Basallo for him.

Honestly I don’t get the outsized fascination several on here have for Detmers and Kopech.  While their FB velo is intriguing and have 1st round pedigree, it hasn’t translated to success as both are kinda train wrecks this season.  Any trade would be banking on Os pitching lab to unlock their potential, and that doesn’t happen overnight, so I really struggle to see either one as viable 2024 pitching solutions.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Hallas said:

The only one I'd hold onto for Robert is Holliday.   I'm happy to give up Mayo, Kjerstad, or Basallo for him.

That's insane. You know this guy is never healthy right? He's worth maybe a couple AA or lower pitchers at most.  

Edited by interloper

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I wouldn’t give up Mayo or Basallo for him straight up.  I think they have a similar offensive profile without the injuries. Can’t overlook the injuries he has had.

Availability is a real concern.

2 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Honestly I don’t get the outsized fascination several on here have for Detmers and Kopech.  While their FB velo is intriguing and have 1st round pedigree, it hasn’t translated to success as both are kinda train wrecks this season.  Any trade would be banking on Os pitching lab to unlock their potential, and that doesn’t happen overnight, so I really struggle to see either one as viable 2024 pitching solutions.

You must have not really looked much into Detmers numbers.

He’s an excellent target for us, for so many reasons.

The A’s are apparently listing to offers for JP Sears.  He seems like a nice trade option cost won’t be too bad and you have control for a few years.  If I am gonna give up a relatively high prospect I don’t want to just get a rental then next year we need another starter with no Burns, no Means or Wells going into next year.  Sears is a solid middle of the rotation guy and if you can get an A’s reliever not Mason Miller in the deal that would be nice.  Sears also allows you to put Suarez back in pen and maybe even Kremer for playoffs,  

• Upvote 2

Just now, bpilktree said:

The A’s are apparently listing to offers for JP Sears.  He seems like a nice trade option cost won’t be too bad and you have control for a few years.  If I am gonna give up a relatively high prospect I don’t want to just get a rental then next year we need another starter with no Burns, no Means or Wells going into next year.  Sears is a solid middle of the rotation guy and if you can get an A’s reliever not Mason Miller in the deal that would be nice.  Sears also allows you to put Suarez back in pen and maybe even Kremer for playoffs,  

I've been mentioning Sears for a couple years now. He's basically John Means with maybe a little less upside. Dependable lefty innings eater. We could use a guy like that, especially next year. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I think it is time to move Chase McDermott into the pen

I think they want him to profile as a starter to increase his trade value.  I would be kind of surprised if they did.  I wouldn't be upset, I said at the beginning of the season I hoped that's the role he'd fill, but I just don't see him as an O's type pitcher.  I think they will cash in on his value and use as a trade chip.  Teams always want pitching back in a trade and  he'd be the ideal guy. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I think it is time to move Chase McDermott into the pen

I think if he comes up, he'll come up in the bullpen. I don't know that they need to convert him to a reliever while he's in Norfolk. But I agree the bullpen is the only way he's helping us this year. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's insane. You know this guy is never healthy right? He's worth maybe a couple AA or lower pitchers at most.  

I agree that I would not give up Holliday, Mayo or Basallo to acquire Roberts, but he's still more valueable than, "maybe a couple AA or lower pitchers at most."  And, to be clear, I don't think it's likely at all we'd be targeting him.

Edited by Greg Pappas

36 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think if he comes up, he'll come up in the bullpen. I don't know that they need to convert him to a reliever while he's in Norfolk. But I agree the bullpen is the only way he's helping us this year. 

Not sure why they couldn't do with him what they did with DL Hall last year. Doesn't make sense not to prepare a guy for a role in which he could help the major league team this season.