The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

You're playing O'Hearn at 1B full time or calling up Mayo? Because RM is GG caliber at 1B and he mashes. I'd rather keep him and trade Mayo straight up, no Kjerstad, only because I don't think HK and Norby gets it done.

Both. O’Hearn at 1B vs RHP. Mayo at 1B vs LHP and DH vs RHP.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Both. O’Hearn at 1B vs RHP. Mayo at 1B vs LHP and DH vs RHP.

That was my thought when I read your post, but it's a big drop off defensively unless Mayo can play capably there. Any reports on his defense of late? His at 1B exclusively now?

Edited by Il BuonO

Just now, Il BuonO said:

That was my thought when I read your post, but it's a big drop off unless Mayo can play capably there. Any reports on his defense of late? His at 1B exclusively now?

I don’t know. Doesn’t matter - would never happen. But to get a starter from Seattle it would take major league bats that they feel help them have a chance this season. Mountcastle would be one that makes sense with two more years of team control.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

I don’t know. Doesn’t matter - would never happen. But to get a starter from Seattle it would take major league bats that they feel help them have a chance this season. Mountcastle would be one that makes sense with two more years of team control.

It's a nice thought experiment. Not sure they'd want to give up on Kirby either. They are in first place and pitching is more valuable come playoff time.

6 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

It's a nice thought experiment. Not sure they'd want to give up on Kirby either. They are in first place and pitching is more valuable come playoff time.

They wouldn't, 4 and half years of team control headed by Mountcastle and 2 players we have no where to play with defense issues,not likely. Norby and KJerstad likey to be used to upgrade pitching but it wont be for Kirby  

13 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

They wouldn't, 4 and half years of team control headed by Mountcastle and 2 players we have no where to play with defense issues,not likely. Norby and KJerstad likey to be used to upgrade pitching but it wont be for Kirby  

They are 23rd in the league in OPS. There hasn’t been a WS Champ anywhere close to that position in recent memory.

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

They are 23rd in the league in OPS. There hasn’t been a WS Champ anywhere close to that position in recent memory.

Addition by subtraction for Seattle but I would do that trade yesterday and so would Elias, Reason he has not is its not available for that package.

15 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Addition by subtraction for Seattle but I would do that trade yesterday and so would Elias, Reason he has not is its not available for that package.

Yeah, would require younger, higher ceiling prospect.

I would trade Basallo for Crochet from the WS.  An elite starter is what the O's need to advance in the playoffs.  Povich and Suarez ain't it.  Crochet slots in nicely atop the O's rotation next year too ( 2 1/2 years of control). 

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would trade Basallo for Crochet from the WS.  An elite starter is what the O's need to advance in the playoffs.  Povich and Suarez ain't it.  Crochet slots in nicely atop the O's rotation next year too ( 2 1/2 years of control). 

🤦‍♂️

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Regarding spending: since AJ Preller took over in San Diego, he has spent money like Sailors on shore leave, traded everyone but his grandmother and has almost nothing to show for it except a huge payroll.

One doesn’t solve a problem by flinging money at it, and I pray Mike never does.

Padres are definitely a cautionary example of using your top farm system to trade for top tier MLB talent, only to end up treading water. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

No one has any thoughts on them going after Mason Miller? He seriously upgrades the pen this year and he started in the minors and six games with the A's last year. Then, when Bautista returns next year you develop him as a starter and can always return him to the pen if he doesn't have success as a starter. Or, insert him as the closer if Bautista isn't ready to start the year or they want to ease him into things.

I think Mason Miller is a fantastic fit. I’m nervous what he will cost, but maybe it’s time for such an expenditure. 

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

I wonder if we might consider trading Cowser?
On an unrelated note, I like Jose Soriano of the Angels.

I would be surprised if Cowser is untouchable.

I’d be interested in Framber. First because of his 64% ground ball rate and our IF defense. Second for his postseason experience. He may not be CY Young pitcher 2 years ago but he’s not that far off either.

• Upvote 1