The 2024 Trade Deadline

Dodgers are the club to give Toronto a little something for Cavan Biggio.

We'll see if Dodgers player development has some ideas to bug Blue Jays fans.

Biggio was never Vlad/Bo, but did maybe have Westburg kind of expectations coming up.

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

G Rod is the Mountcastle of pitchers.  Lots of pretty charts, RL results, not so much.  G Rod seems to lack that bull dog mentality to make it thru the 6th or 7th inning.  In a big game, G Rod will likely have to exit after 5 innings with lots of flashy Ks and impressive velocity.  Irvin will go 6 or 7 with less Ks and get the job done.

The absurdity of this post is impressive.

But just an FYI…GRod averages more innings per start than Irvin does although it’s close.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

G Rod is the Mountcastle of pitchers.  Lots of pretty charts, RL results, not so much.  G Rod seems to lack that bull dog mentality to make it thru the 6th or 7th inning.  In a big game, G Rod will likely have to exit after 5 innings with lots of flashy Ks and impressive velocity.  Irvin will go 6 or 7 with less Ks and get the job done.

Grayson has a 2.89 ERA since he was called up last July and has been worth over 3 WAR in 140 IP. I’d say those are pretty good RL results. 

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

I hope not. His stuff+ has fallen off a cliff and his results have been awful too. Throws his slider almost 70% of the time but it’s just not a great pitch anymore for him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

Grayson has a 2.89 ERA since he was called up last July and has been worth over 3 WAR in 140 IP. I’d say those are pretty good RL results. 

Yea but he had a bad outing vs the Angels, so he’s not any better than a 4th starter.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The absurdity of this post is impressive.

But just an FYI…GRod averages more innings per start than Irvin does although it’s close.

Until Grayson has a decent postseason start, he will carry the stink of last October

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Dodgers are the club to give Toronto a little something for Cavan Biggio.

We'll see if Dodgers player development has some ideas to bug Blue Jays fans.

Biggio was never Vlad/Bo, but did maybe have Westburg kind of expectations coming up.

MLBTradeRumors says there has been discussions between the Cubs and Blue Jay's about Vlad.  Looks like the Blue Jay's might go into rebuild mode.  It seemed like 2 years ago the sky was the limit for them.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/06/cubs-have-reportedly-privately-discussed-vladimir-guerrero-jr-trade.html

Just now, DirtyBird said:

1.2 IP, 6 hits, 4 walks, 5 runs

Completely embarrassing garbage that lost the series.

Yea it was an awful singular start in a series where they got swept. 

Your overall point is absurd albeit not surprising.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

MLBTradeRumors says there has been discussions between the Cubs and Blue Jay's about Vlad.  Looks like the Blue Jay's might go into rebuild mode.  It seemed like 2 years ago the sky was the limit for them.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/06/cubs-have-reportedly-privately-discussed-vladimir-guerrero-jr-trade.html

That's not what the article says.

this morning that Chicago’s brass have “privately discussed”

The Cubs were talking internally.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea it was an awful singular start in a series where they got swept. 

Your overall point is absurd albeit not surprising.

In a game where the offense put up 8 runs.

If you suck ass in the playoffs, it's likely you only get one start.

25 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

IMHO we will not pursue Roberts, as tempting as he is.  The injury history makes him too risky, and if we are seeking a (preferably young) RHH outfielder, we can look elsewhere without the same risk.

I think your summation of the situation was a very good one — you raised most of the relevant issues there, except for his very reasonable contract, that will keep him under control through the 2027 season (3.5 years) for somewhere between $60-65M. With two club opt-outs in the last two years, in case the body does break down.

The one (probably semantical) quibble I have is that surely we will pursue him. He’s gotta be one of the 20-ish most talented players in the sport, he’s young, he’s affordable, he’s under control through the Adley years, and he slots perfectly into this lineup as a right-handed power hitter who can form a defensive dynamic duo with Cowser. I think he’s probably the highest-ceiling addition Elias could possibly make to the roster at this trade deadline.

Where I agree with you (and why the previous paragraph is probably just semantics) is that I don’t think we’ll pursue him to the point of actually landing him. I think the White Sox will ask for the moon, and as good as he is, you just can’t count on the man to be on the field. I expect that combination of price/risk will cause us to drop out of the pursuit — just saying that I think we will (and should) be in it initially, just in case the stars align.

• Upvote 1

I don’t understand why the discussion is including talk about getting an outfielder; that’s like importing sand into the Sahara.

But if we’re talking about a RH OF, how about Brent Rooker? He’s pushing 30, so only a year or two away from his downhill, but he’s playing very well, and Oakland would love to move him, even if only for younger versions of the same thing, because Rooker won’t be contributing when they contend again(if they ever do, sadly) and a 24-yo guy or two might be appealing to them.

PS Oakland needs everything, so any outstanding young prospect would have appeal for them, but in the case of Rooker, getting back a ~equivalent player who also has 5+ years of control remaining, but is 5-6 years younger would be attractive.

Edited by Philip

21 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What in the world are you talking about?  If you don't want to look at the statcast #s which is kinda wild, let's look at the traditional numbers

Irvin : 2.87era / 1.181 whip / 3.63 fip / 8.9 h9 / 0.9 hr9 / 6.2 k9

GRod: 3.27era / 1.232 whip / 3.31 fip / 8.0 h9 / 0.9 hr9 / 10.2 k9

Even without the dominant #s you can see that GRod has done better.  His era & whip are slightly higher, the fip is better, he gives up less hits and strikes out more.  And he's also covered more innings.  

I like Irvin as well, but to say he's been better by 'quite a bit' is just flat our incorrect.  All his #s suggest he's been a bit lucky and will likely regress as the season continues.  

GRod likely 5 & dive?  WHAT?!?!?  Grod has pitched 6ip more than Irvin has on the season.  

• Upvote 2