Elias addressing media at 4:05 today

1 minute ago, rjslomo said:

Well just draft some stud college starter that will go straight into the rotation like Garrett Crochet and be fine! ….. I wish.

Slomo!

(I know who you are 😂 )

Terrible news for both.  As bad as this is for Means I’m glad he was able to come back and have that game against the Reds when he was as good as he ever was.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Is Means career over?

Major league career?  Maybe.

Assuming he has a successful surgery I'm sure he'll at least get a ST invite from a team.

My prediction is he makes it back to the majors in 2026 and pitches through 2028 but doesn't accomplish much.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Major league career?  Maybe.

Assuming he has a successful surgery I'm sure he'll at least get a ST invite from a team.

My prediction is he makes it back to the majors in 2026 and pitches through 2028 but doesn't accomplish much.

That’s quite a prediction.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

That’s quite a prediction.

Go big or go home.

I don't think it's quite as bold a statement as saying that start against the Reds was as good as the No hitter he threw when he lost the perfect game on WP third strike.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Morgan423 said:

On a related note, I want to bring up my desire again to have the team take 4 or 5 position minor league position players a season that are about to fail out of the system, and convert them into knuckle ball pitchers. 

It would pay off if even one of them makes it to the rotation, and those guys have noodle arms and could pitch with a much-decreased worry of common pitcher injuries. 

Apparently (heard this on a podcast, believe said by Eno Sarris so fair warning), the key is to be able to throw a decent knuckleball at 80 mph or above.  That’s when hitters’ effectiveness against the pitch drops off a cliff, all else equal. 

Edited by Emory Eagle

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That was about the most poorly timed DFA either.  Since that day, Means and Kremer went on the IL (Means now out for the year, and Akin (who could have been optioned rather than losing Baumann) has had three horrific appearances.  He pitched well right up to the day we dumped Baumann.  

I am pretty sure they had a good idea on Wells prior to letting Baumann go as everytime they were asked they kinda ignored question or said nothing new to report.  It felt like they knew what was coming but still were hoping for a miracle.  Means was definitely bad timing but it isn’t like Baumann is very hard to replace.  Our buddy Jorge Lopez was pitching as good as him and. Now availabile. 

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It makes sense to call him up and move Suarez back to the pen.

Agree that it does but is that temporary until Kremer is back with the way Irvin is pitching?

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Go big or go home.

I don't think it's quite as bold a statement as saying that start against the Reds was as good as the No hitter he threw when he lost the perfect game on WP third strike.

I think he pitched as well.  Just not as long.  Of course, the no no is his best game ever.  

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I know I'm a broken record on this, so I'll keep it short. For me the mistake isn't even really about Baumann specifically, it's that they could have just delayed the decision a little longer. And Elias usually does delay as long as possible and keep as many guys as possible. It was a little out of character and it didn't work out. 

I agree it seemed a bit strange but there may have been other internal issues that led to it.  I remember the day or two before they let him go he came into the game and Elias seemed to be paying a lot closer attention in his appearance.  It may have been nothing but maybe they were trying to get him to make adjustments and he wasn’t being as willing as they wanted him to be in changes.  You don’t usually let a guy with ERA close to 1 for the month go.