Elias addressing media at 4:05 today

9 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

Apparently (heard this on a podcast, believe said by Eno Sarris so fair warning), the key is to be able to throw a decent knuckleball at 80 mph or above.  That’s when hitters’ effectiveness against the pitch drops off a cliff, all else equal. 

I think all velocities of knuckler could be effective, but it seems to me that the higher velo versions have less of an opportunity to radically swerve completely out of and away from the strike zone.  It stays closer and forces more swings from hitters. 

I think that's why Dickey had success with it when he had it working.  

Pitching depth just got more thing. Thankfully we still have Povich and McDermott in case anything else happens to our starters.  Hopefully Seth Johnson is getting closer to being ready and moving up  levels too after coming back from his surgery.

Most of all, we just have to hope our starting pitchers stay healthy and perform at the level they have been this season. 

Our current starting options can hold up, but if we have another serious injury that all changes.

I still think we are, and should be, shopping for relievers via trade. 

1 hour ago, gamiliel said:

No, this is an issue. We are one more injury away (Bradish, Grayson?) from being in big trouble.  Assuming they stay healthy then Bradish, Burns, G-Rod is good top 3 for playoffs. But we definitely bullpen help.

No. No it’s not. 

3 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I think all velocities of knuckler could be effective, but it seems to me that the higher velo versions have less of an opportunity to radically swerve completely out of and away from the strike zone.  It stays closer and forces more swings from hitters. 

The issue with Knockleballers is so few of them can be effective and even the good ones mostly end up as back of the rotation guys or swing men.

I'd rather just burn through a bunch of 24 year olds.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Yes, I wonder if effectiveness manifests itself as more induced weak contact or more swing and miss / chase.  Perhaps both.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Is Means career over?

I hope not.  He'll always be part of O's history with his no hitter.  It seems like he really knows how to pitch.  If he can ever get his arm right, he'll be at least a middle of the rotation starter.  At this point, you're looking at 2025 All Star Break optimisticly.

49 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I am pretty sure they had a good idea on Wells prior to letting Baumann go as everytime they were asked they kinda ignored question or said nothing new to report.  It felt like they knew what was coming but still were hoping for a miracle.  Means was definitely bad timing but it isn’t like Baumann is very hard to replace.  Our buddy Jorge Lopez was pitching as good as him and. Now availabile. 

Must be harder to replace Baumann than you think.   Right now Vieira has his spot.  That does not look like an upgrade to me.

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't have to replace them on the 15 day IL just because they go on the 60.

I guess it's Suarez and Thyago. They need to lose more often, then I will who will replace Means and Wells. Will you still say 60 day IL is the answer to make us better?

17 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I guess it's Suarez and Thyago. They need to lose more often, then I will who will replace Means and Wells. Will you still say 60 day IL is the answer to make us better?

I was making a joke since Wells and Means have been injury prone for a while now. 

I don't think anyone was really expecting them to shoulder a lot of innings this season.

45 minutes ago, waroriole said:

You don’t trust Holt’s judgment?

Think it was Holt?   Might have been Sig about not enough players with options in the pen.

One thing we know for sure.  Elias had the final word.