How many RBI's has batting leadoff cost Gunnar?

Natty

Its all a little bit interim since Holliday wobbled.

Time's running out fast if Holliday is going to earn the honor of going 1st when Gunnar gets to the optimal 2nd spot.

Even Westburg-Cowser-Kjerstad may in time have a tough time pushing Holliday-Gunnar-Mayo-Basallo-Adley out of the top half unless one of them falls far short of expectations.     This fall is reasonably likely the last one Hyde doesn't have all of it at his disposal, clear of taxes.

4 hours ago, Natty said:

6 leadoff homer's of course no one is on base. But the bottom of the lineup, everyone is struggling to bat above the Mendoza line except Mateo.

Why not Westburg,  Adley, then Gunnar?

There's no guarantee he gets pitched to the same way with Westburg or Adley on base ahead of him. We saw him get the Barry Bonds treatment in the late innings last night with runners on and a close game. And for good reason.

20 minutes ago, Natty said:

Does anyone else remember the year Brady Anderson hit 50 HR, Davey Johnson started batting him 4th instead of leadoff.

I still occassionally make this mistake, so I try to look it up before posting it.

12 minutes ago, Natty said:

I must be getting senile because I remember Brady batting cleanup before.

He started 10 games, his entire career, at cleanup.  So, it happened.

2 hours ago, Natty said:

Does anyone else remember the year Brady Anderson hit 50 HR, Davey Johnson started batting him 4th instead of leadoff.

He definitely changed his batting order slot, but it was from batting 1st to 2nd for a period of time and then back to leadoff again. 

6 hours ago, Natty said:

6 leadoff homer's of course no one is on base. But the bottom of the lineup, everyone is struggling to bat above the Mendoza line except Mateo.

Why not Westburg,  Adley, then Gunnar?

Do you want Gunnar with a 5th PA or Westburg?  Team runs is the right question and that's a bit TBD in a scheme perspective. 

He was showing some frustration this weekend with getting pitched around. Fortunately the team has Adley right behind him to keep this somewhat in check. Starting pitchers are not likely to walk the games leadoff hitter.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

He was showing some frustration this weekend with getting pitched around. Fortunately the team has Adley right behind him to keep this somewhat in check. Starting pitchers are not likely to walk the games leadoff hitter.

Fortunately he has the patience to take those pitches instead of getting himself out.

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Gunnar also has 13 PA in the 9th, some of which he wouldn't get if he batted lower in the order.

2nd is probably optimal for him - he misses out on only around 15 PAs a season but he gets a runner on when he comes up in the first 35-40% of the time.  If he bats 3rd he'd miss out on 30, 4th 45.  By that time there's diminishing returns on the value of baserunners and the missed PAs become more and more meaningful.  I'm fine with him first, but I think Westburg/Cowser 1 (depending on lefty/righty) and Henderson 2 is probably optimal.  With Westburg staying hot you could make the argument that he should be 1 all the time.

Edited by Hallas