Norby and Vespi coming up?

Bird Lady

6 hours ago, gtman55 said:

I just wanna know why we bring up guys who play every day at AAA only to ride thd bench up here. Give these guys a chance like they the did with Holliday and if they suck send them down. At this point they're wasting the careers of guys like Stowers and Kjerstad. If you dot believe in them, trade them for pitching.

The Orioles objective is to win games. They have depth. Holiday didn’t have the competition the others did. 

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

A few posters are going to roll their eyes when they read that.  LOL

That's funny, I was going to post "you're a good egg, I don't care what they say about you." Which wouldn't have really been a dig on you, because I say it to my friends and even my wife. It's meant to be an absurd combo of a compliment and an insult. 

12 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

That's funny, I was going to post "you're a good egg, I don't care what they say about you." Which wouldn't have really been a dig on you, because I say it to my friends and even my wife. It's meant to be an absurd combo of a compliment and an insult. 

I’ll take it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Cowser is likely the starting CF next season and I don't want to trade him or Kjerstad for that matter.
    • Where do you rank Blake Snell  ?
    • I didn’t say you’d like it. You’re living in delusional world if you think that’s not close to the cost. 
    • 4.2 WAR …1.16 WHIP 6.9 H/9 …. The K/9 is not what the K guys want but not every guy needs to be a strike out pitcher.
    • That would be two mistakes.
    • I think that you are attempting to convince this board of something that we all know. I don't believe that any reasonable poster has suggested that JH isn't going to hit or be fine at the ML. You should distance yourself from anyone who believes that 34 Major League ABs (as a 20 year old) is who he is as a player. But you should also be willing to see the forest through the trees. Any consideration of trading JH goes beyond what I mention above and what you listed. I posted some of the following the other day to another member of the board but I'll go a little bit further with it. Gunnar is the SS for the Orioles for the next however many years that he decides. He's two years older than Holliday. Their defensive profiles are very different. Jackson Holliday is not pushing Gunnar to third. I've been saying this for almost two years now. What all of this comes down to is between JH and Mayo, which player's defense at their current MiLB position is more stomachable. I say that it's Mayo. Looking at both players and how they project (not just looking at them as current players) Mayo looks to me like he's more likely to stick at third than Holliday looks like he'll stick in the infield and it isn't solely because of the two of them alone. The entire makeup of the organization factors into this. Basallo still projects as a catcher but where does he play when he isn't catching or DHing? First Base. Where does Adley play if he isn't catching or DHing? First Base. Where does Kjerstad end up if he isn't moved? First Base. And so on and so on. In three years, they are going to have three guys who probably end up at 1B either because they are not good defensive players elsewhere (Kjerstad is in fact a hack in the outfield) or to save their legs (Adley and Basallo). If Mayo is on the roster, he simply cannot occupy innings at First unless one of the three guys above are moved or unless he is moved. And where does JW fit into all of this? His defense is better than JH's right now and will always be better. If JW and Mayo are on the roster, where does JH fit in the infield? His defense at 2B is not better than Mayo's defense at 3B. Do they move him to the OF like I have speculated for almost two years? If I am ME and Co. and I fully intended to keep Holliday in the organization I would have him log innings in centerfield instead of showcasing him in the infield where he doesn't offer better defense than any of Gunnar, JW, Mateo, Urias or even Mayo (in my opinion). JW and Gunnar graduated through the minors together and are close and have good rapport up the middle. I see JW's defense at 2B on par with what Gunnar does at SS if JW stops bouncing between Third and Second.  So, where does JH fit into the team going forward? To me, he doesn't. This has nothing to do with his 34 ABs this year. This doesn't even have anything to do with the defensive limitations that I have been very outspoken about for nearly two years. This has to do with the overall health and makeup of the entire organization and what is best for them to pursue a Championship at the highest level while maintaining a strong enough pipeline to sustain the winning culture that ME and Co. have worked so hard to rebuild. If JH is the headliner of a deal to acquire a top flight starter (and to be clear, this is the ONLY way that I would trade him) it allows the O's to preserve more of the strength of the organization, which is their prospect pipeline. Whether it is Skubel or another bonafide starter, JH as the headliner means not having to include other (or more) top prospects. I still have JH as the top prospect in the O's system but Mayo and Basallo have closed that gap for me. Not because of the dozen or so games for Holliday in the bigs but because the other two guys are developing and both look like they're going to be extremely productive major leaguers. Yes, they are all still prospects and until they prove themselves at the big league level, that is all that they are to the O's. But if a deal to acquire a controllable (this year + 2 more years), legitimate TOR pitcher meant having to choose between dealing the #3, #5, #8, #13 and #20 Prospects or the #1, #5 and #11 Prospects, I'm trading Holliday, Norby and Fabian before I trade Mayo, Norby, Povich, Max Wagner and Joshua Liranzo. At the end of the day it may be just as much a numbers game as anything else. Would it sting to give up Jackson Holliday? Of course it would and I am not openly advocating to move him or suggesting that I don't like the player. I've made Robinson Cano comps to him. But for the next three years, the O's would be better with a TOR starter, Mayo at 3B and JW at 2B than they would be with JW at 3B, Holliday at 2B, Mayo not getting ABs.. and not acquiring a TOR starter. Like it or not that is the reality and why I think that Holliday makes more sense to move for that bonafide TOR, controllable starter. 
    • This gets totally overlooked constantly. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now