Connor Norby 2024

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Assuming he doesn't look terrible, the amount of games played in Norfolk does make you wonder if sending him back down is something they want to avoid. Perhaps he's here to stay, or at least here until he's traded. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hate to break it to J Cal Meyer, but this ain't gonna be a long call-up.

Also looking forward to seeing Frobby complain that this thread is still active after he's been sent back to the minors 🤣🤣

image.gif.04060523267ce8eb2afdcaeffde64317.gif

(you’re probably right) 

• Haha 3

One sliver of hope for Norby sticking around longer is that Urias basically plays the same positions as Westburg, but isn't as good.  I've thought for a while that this redundancy is what'll ultimately make Urias the odd man out. If Norby hits while he's here, his ability to play the outfield at least a little bit does help him offer something Urias doesn't. 

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

One sliver of hope for Norby sticking around longer is that Urias basically plays the same positions as Westburg, but isn't as good.  I've thought for a while that this redundancy is what'll ultimately make Urias the odd man out. If Norby hits while he's here, his ability to play the outfield at least a little bit does help him offer something Urias doesn't. 

The problem is norby can’t cover 3b, and Mateo doesn’t play 3rd either. So Gunnar becomes the backup 3b if westburg needs a day or gets dinged up. I’d rather not move Gunnar if we don’t have to. It’s not a deal breaker, but it’s not ideal. 

8 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm not going to get my hopes up too much, but it's not like Norby has to be a star to supplant Urias or Mateo for that matter. 

I wouldn't rule out Norby plays well and then gets traded as part of a package to land a hard throwing reliever.

2 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

The problem is norby can’t cover 3b, and Mateo doesn’t play 3rd either. So Gunnar becomes the backup 3b if westburg needs a day or gets dinged up. I’d rather not move Gunnar if we don’t have to. It’s not a deal breaker, but it’s not ideal. 

That's true, and I could see them citing that if they do keep rolling with Urias.

I wonder how Mateo would do at 3b. He had 27 MLB innings there in 2021 (no starts though).

9 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm not going to get my hopes up too much, but it's not like Norby has to be a star to supplant Urias or Mateo for that matter. 

Mateo's posting a .9 fWAR over 42 games and 128 PAs.  Pretty close to star level until/unless the proverbial other shoe drops.  Just saying...

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

Norby better hit from day one or he wont play.  Orioles are horrible about breaking in rookies.  We treat them terrible in my opinion.

Ah the absolutes...  Not really an O's thing IMO.  It's a "teams competing for the playoffs" thing.  Every team has a plan until Mike Tyson...  For every anecdote of Strider there's a Gunnar.  For every Holliday, there's a Busch.  The leash varies in team context.

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Mateo's posting a .9 fWAR over 42 games and 128 PAs.  Pretty close to star level until/unless the proverbial other shoe drops.  Just saying...

I really didn't want to lump Mateo in with Urias. One is a guy that can be DFA'ed right now and the other does have value. That was an error on my part . I do agree that Mateo has played above expectations, but I still don't believe in his bat as an everyday option. His defense at 2nd has been excellent.

7 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Norby better hit from day one or he wont play.  Orioles are horrible about breaking in rookies.  We treat them terrible in my opinion.

Really screwed up with Rutschman, Henderson and Westburg.  Such a shame.

• Haha 1