Jorge Lopez Clears Waivers: Any interest?

Radagast

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He's been terrible since he was traded two years ago. He refused a minor league assignment with us last year. He can find somewhere else to pitch terribly.

When did Lopez refuse a milb assignment with us last year?  We acquired him right before the September 1 postseason eligibility deadline last year.  We just left him off the post season roster.  The Mets offered him $2 million guaranteed on a mlb deal over the offseason.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

When did Lopez refuse a milb assignment with us last year?  We acquired him right before the September 1 postseason eligibility deadline last year.  We just left him off the post season roster.  The Mets offered him $2 million guaranteed on a mlb deal over the offseason.  

image.thumb.png.d9f0528416d90b7f365f6088a83261fe.png

36 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Anything to support this? As bad as Baker was last season, he was still much better than Lopez.

Baker's numbers last season were a bit deceiving. He pitched very well in April (1.88 ERA in 14 games) only to completely fall apart in May and June putting up a near 6.00 ERA between the two months across 22 games. That's not to say Lopez was good last year, he really wasn't. But look at Baker this year. 

Prior to his 5 scoreless appearances at AAA, he had an 8.47 ERA, 875 OPS against, walked 12 in only 17 IP and allowed 4 dingers. A 1.70 WHIP. And that was at AAA.

Say what you will about Lopez. His ERA is a bit deceiving this year - 3.76 ERA, but a 4.66 FIP. Is he an answer to the O's bullpen woes? Absolutely not. Is he better than Bryan Baker? I'd say so.

But then again, I'm on record saying Baumann should have never been traded while keeping Akin on the roster who has options and a history of inconsistency and injuries with an inability to pitch well with runners on base. 

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Baker's numbers last season were a bit deceiving. He pitched very well in April (1.88 ERA in 14 games) only to completely fall apart in May and June putting up a near 6.00 ERA between the two months across 22 games. That's not to say Lopez was good last year, he really wasn't. But look at Baker this year. 

Prior to his 5 scoreless appearances at AAA, he had an 8.47 ERA, 875 OPS against, walked 12 in only 17 IP and allowed 4 dingers. A 1.70 WHIP. And that was at AAA.

Say what you will about Lopez. His ERA is a bit deceiving this year - 3.76 ERA, but a 4.66 FIP. Is he an answer to the O's bullpen woes? Absolutely not. Is he better than Bryan Baker? I'd say so.

But then again, I'm on record saying Baumann should have never been traded while keeping Akin on the roster who has options and a history of inconsistency and injuries with an inability to pitch well with runners on base. 

Well said. 

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

And Lopez allowed a .333/.429/.583 slash line since May 1st

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

And Lopez allowed a .333/.429/.583 slash line since May 1st

Right. I don't think Lopez is our answer, but I don't think Bryan Baker is the answer to anything for this club. I want to be wrong. I want him to do well. I really do enjoy his reverse walk back to the dugout after innings. But man, he's a right handed version of Keegan Akin. Really bad with runners on, serviceable in clean innings. The problem is we've seen Hyde throw caution to the wind with the runners on stat for whatever reason, and it's routinely burnt the O's when it comes to guys like Akin or Baker. And maybe that's a function of them having to be used at some point and having selective situations really hamstrings the bullpen...but that proves my point about Baker not being the answer. Hell, Akin isn't the answer.

Edited by LookitsPuck