There is only one reason Wieters should be sent down

BirdMan

So I have no problem leaving him down to get that extra year of service time, but anything else that could hurt his ROY status will seem like a slight to Boras, and you can bet anything negative that happens to Boras will be relayed to Wieters.

Boras isn't going to let a slight get in the way of a monster FA contract for Matthew. When he is a FA we'll have an equal opportunity to resign him whether we start him in the majors now or send him down for a few weeks.

The big question is regardless of how well he's performed will it make sense to give a 29 year old catcher 8-10 years and a couple hundred million bucks. In that regard his position might make it a better play to start him in the minors this year, use him for 7 years and then let him walk.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. Reimold will be 26 yo and will have put a lot of time in the minors. It's a case by case basis. In Reimold's case, I wouldn't delay his arrival next year.

Plus, he wouldn't be expected to be a superstar and the O's will hopefully have a more realistic chance of competing next year. Actually, in BTerps scenario, I would think(and support) Reimold would get called up at some point during this year.

Again, this is what we are HOPING to see.

There is always the slimmest of possiblities that he fires Boras and signs an extension or says those damn Orioles slighted me, so Matty, take this lessor contract from XYZ or whatever. But it's like a 16 seed vs 1 seed matchup... It'd be foolish to put money on a 16 beating a 1, it'd be foolish to make any decision that didn't assume that scenario is the likely one.

Boras isn't going to let a slight get in the way of a monster FA contract for Matthew. When he is a FA we'll have an equal opportunity to resign him whether we start him in the majors now or send him down for a few weeks.

The big question is regardless of how well he's performed will it make sense to give a 29 year old catcher 8-10 years and a couple hundred million bucks. In that regard his position might make it a better play to start him in the minors this year, use him for 7 years and then let him walk.

Don't forget Teixeira never forgot how the Red Sox treated him in the draft process, and it caused them to lose out on him in an embarassing way. Wieters will remember any slight made to him by the Orioles and if he doesn't you can bet Boras will remind him so he can keep Wieters from signing a LT extension IMO...

As long as the Orioles only catch him 110-120 games and let him DH the rest, I think he'd hold up fine. They can always move his bat to 1B or DH if need be...

And you don't let him walk, you'd trade him for a Texas-Teixeira like ransom.

I doubt a catcher would be able to get the type of contract you describe, but you have a good point. Don't think it would be wise to be paying him huge money in his mid 30's. Best case is he's extended until he's about 31-32, otherwise, I'd likely rather have him for 7 years than have him in a similar situation to what you lay out.

Don't forget Teixeira never forgot how the Red Sox treated him in the draft process, and it caused them to lose out on him in an embarassing way. Wieters will remember any slight made to him by the Orioles and if he doesn't you can bet Boras will remind him so he can keep Wieters from signing a LT extension IMO...

In explaining his decision to go to the Yankees, did Tex say anything about preferring them to the Red Sox because of the way the Sox had treated him during the draft? I seriously doubt that he did, since the Sox have a different owner, team president, general manager and field manager than they have when Tex was drafted.

In any event, Wieters and Tex are two different people. Just because they both are swithch hitters who played at Georgia Tech and have Boras as an agent doesn't mean they think alike on every issue.

Whether Wieters feels slighted or not, Boras will advise him in the strongest possible terms to not sign a long-term deal and to become eligible for free agency. The only way he signs long term well before free agency is if the dollars are so high that it makes no sense from the team's standpoint.

Teixiera was a fan of the Yankees wasn't he?

Didn't the Yankees offer the most money?

Didn't Teixiera's wife state she didn't want to live in Boston no matter what or am I thinking about another player?

Plus, he wouldn't be expected to be a superstar and the O's will hopefully have a more realistic chance of competing next year.

The hope when we bring any player up is that they become a superstar. It's not likely, but that's what we want to see happen.

Look, if we think that keeping Wieters down is good business sense no matter who is agent is, despite his agent being basically the only one in the sport where the chances of an extension are believed to be so low, then we should be treating every player the same way whenever possible.

Now, if we do it like you think (and I hope) we would, as a mid-season replacement, that's a different story. However, we could easily see Reimold in AAA all season.

The hope when we bring any player up is that they become a superstar. It's not likely, but that's what we want to see happen.

Look, if we think that keeping Wieters down is good business sense no matter who is agent is, despite his agent being basically the only one in the sport where the chances of an extension are believed to be so low, then we should be treating every player the same way whenever possible.

Now, if we do it like you think (and I hope) we would, as a mid-season replacement, that's a different story. However, we could easily see Reimold in AAA all season.

Yes, you hope everyone becomes a star, but some guys have a much better chance than others, and those guys should be treated differently. Adding Boras to the equation only makes it more logical to keep him in the minors.

Your also ignoring age and team situation in your comments. If the team is expecting to win next year, that changes this decision quite a bit.

Yes, you hope everyone becomes a star, but some guys have a much better chance than others, and those guys should be treated differently. Adding Boras to the equation only makes it more logical to keep him in the minors.

Your also ignoring age and team situation in your comments. If the team is expecting to win next year, that changes this decision quite a bit.

So if we were possibly a contender this season, you would want to see Wieters up here on Opening Day?

Everyone who thinks we need to bring Matt up right away and sign him right away to an extension needs to read the quotes in this article from Boras himself....

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?&articleid=1158662&format=&page=1&listingType=sox#articleFull

Boras, who has only had a couple of clients (Jeff Weaver, Carlos Baerga) sign such deals in recent years, believes players who don’t wait for the free agency status that comes after six years in the major leagues deprive themselves of the opportunity to maximize their earning potential, as well as the earning potential of other elite talents, by deferring that long-range freedom for an early cash grab.
“All teams are instructed to take their premium players and do their best to remove them from the arbitration market,” Boras said. “It’s good business for them to receive premium talent for a grossly devalued cost.”

These are just a few of the quotes from Scotty but if you read this article like I did, well I think the odds of Matt, if he becomes a superstar, signing an extension are slim to none.

Leave him in AAA for a few weeks and get the extra year of control!!

Archived