Bergesen threw 6 scoreless today

Frobby

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this is good news. I like it. However, I presume he wasn't facing ML batters? So lets be careful not to fall in love to quickly. That train could derail very fast. I don't think it will, but it could.

He should be have been facing a predominantly AAA latent line-up, which shows that he could go to Norfolk and do well as of right now.

Really though, who cares if we have him for a 7th year. He sholdn't be a long term option and we should be able to have a replacement for him in three to four years.

This isn't a scenario with a Wieters/Matusz like prospect. Bergesen will be more easily replaceable.

I would rather have Bergesen up to start the year so we have some stability.

I agree here. I mean, I'd love to be surprised and find out that BB turns out to be a very good starter for 6 years and now we wish we had him tied up for a 7th. But that's not that probable, compared to the odds that we're going to want to hold on to Wieters or Matusz for that extra year. And besides, BB has three options, so if he has a significant hiccup we can send him to the minors for a few weeks at any time and voila, the service issue is moot. (True of the others, too, but the chances of a hiccup with Bergesen are higher.)

I agree that he's earning a spot in the rotation. I'd much rather see him than Eaton or Baez. However, the question is what will the O's do? I'll believe it when I see it. Right now I don't see it.

Why wouldn't they? I mean he has pitched better than anyone right now.

I don't think it is safe to assume anyone with options remaining has a "spot to lose". I think they would love to have Bergesen in AAA for a month and not prematurely start his clock. I am of the opinion that no player should start in the majors that can be stuck in the minors for a month and give you an extra year. Crazier things have happened than someone like Bergesen becoming a solid starter that would be nice to have under control for a seventh season.

The really sad thing here is that I was about to post the exact same thing. Completely as a joke, emoticons and all.

Why wouldn't they? I mean he has pitched better than anyone right now.

McPhail was on XM today and said that he has an idea of what the rotation will be. He also said that he is interested in "maintaining the inventory" of pitching to get through the summer. He didn't go into any further detail, but the message seemed to be that he didn't want to lose anyone if he didn't have to. So, to the extent keeping Bergesen might mean exposing someone to waivers or just outright releasing someone, there is this little tidbit from earlier today.

Might not mean much, granted.

Arbitration is absolutely based on service time, it has nothing to do with the date you were added to the 40-man.

There are no money or service time issues to consider with Bergesen though. If you think he's both capable of handling the major league experience and that he's one of the 5 best starters we have, then he starts with the MLB club on Opening Day.

Thanks for the clarification, guys. And yes, I agree with those who say that we shouldn't worry about that issue in this case with Bergesen (as opposed to something like the Mickolio addition to the 40-man last year).

McPhail was on XM today and said that he has an idea of what the rotation will be. He also said that he is interested in "maintaining the inventory" of pitching to get through the summer. He didn't go into any further detail, but the message seemed to be that he didn't want to lose anyone if he didn't have to. So, to the extent keeping Bergesen might mean exposing someone to waivers or just outright releasing someone, there is this little tidbit from earlier today.

Might not mean much, granted.

That tells me that Bergessen won't start on the major league roster unless Eaton, Baez, or Hendrickson are so bad that a change has to be made.

I agree that he's earning a spot in the rotation. I'd much rather see him than Eaton or Baez. However, the question is what will the O's do? I'll believe it when I see it. Right now I don't see it.
Why are you so skeptical about this? I'm not suggesting it's a done deal. But do you think they are irrationally inclined to deny him a spot if he looks ready for it?

Oops ... looks like you kinda answered this question in your previous post, RZ. But couldn't the club clear space by putting a few of the guys on the DL? Seems like there's some flexibility from MLB in terms of how injured a player must be in order to qualify.

(I also don't understand the vehement opposition to considering options status -- it's important.)

Because they can stash Bergesen at AAA and see what they've got before they call him up later. If the O's cut Eaton, Baez, Bass, Penn, Simon, etc., those guys are history. The O's invested a lot of money in Baez. Unfortunately finances and options are a big part of their thinking. Do you think if Felix Pie had options remaining, that he'd be such a lock for the LF job? Nolan Reimold might still be in camp. Decisions are made on this basis all of the time. Now, the O's did the right thing last year and released Gibbons but that was an easy one, IMO. A couple of questions for you and everyone else. Why is that Eaton & Baez are getting regular starts against ML teams while guys like Bergesen, Bass, & whoever get bumped or moved to a minor league game? Eaton and/or Baez will have to be cut for Bergesen to get a shot. JMO Do you really see the O's cutting Eaton at this point? I'd be shocked. Not so shocked on Baez but certainly surprised. Baez could be relegated to the pen but that would knock someone like Penn, Bass, Simon, or Albers off the team. Speaking of Albers, he has options, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the raw end of the deal to keep one of the other guys around for ahwile.

That is easy, They were put in the minor league camp because they wanted everyone to get work because they lost a day due to the rain-out.

AM and Trembley have proven last year that they don't play those politics too much when people deserve it.

Albers wouldn;t be getting a "raw deal" he hasn't pitched well and probably should have gotten surgery, he probably WILL need surgery. Simon and Bass were most likely minor-leaguers anyway. Penn is out of options, he hasn't shocked the world but he hasn't pitched badly either why would they expose him to waivers for Eaton?

I think you are chasing windmills here.

That is easy, They were put in the minor league camp because they wanted everyone to get work because they lost a day due to the rain-out.

AM and Trembley have proven last year that they don't play those politics too much when people deserve it.

Albers wouldn;t be getting a "raw deal" he hasn't pitched well and probably should have gotten surgery, he probably WILL need surgery. Simon and Bass were most likely minor-leaguers anyway. Penn is out of options, he hasn't shocked the world but he hasn't pitched badly either why would they expose him to waivers for Eaton?

I think you are chasing windmills here.

Then why not send Baez and Eaton to MiL camp?

Archived