Bergesen threw 6 scoreless today

Frobby

That is easy, They were put in the minor league camp because they wanted everyone to get work because they lost a day due to the rain-out.

AM and Trembley have proven last year that they don't play those politics too much when people deserve it.

Albers wouldn;t be getting a "raw deal" he hasn't pitched well and probably should have gotten surgery, he probably WILL need surgery. Simon and Bass were most likely minor-leaguers anyway. Penn is out of options, he hasn't shocked the world but he hasn't pitched badly either why would they expose him to waivers for Eaton?

I think you are chasing windmills here.

Wait, when did Trembley not play those politics last year? :laughlol:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha. When Eaton makes the OD roster, don't let the windmill hit you in your *ss. You think the O's are giving Eaton regular starts & innings just so they can cut him?

Eaton has 7 IP, Bergesen almost 12, and I don't know if that counts the MiL game from today.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=bal

So they are both getting plenty of work, and Bergy is getting more.

Haha. When Eaton makes the OD roster, don't let the windmill hit you in your *ss. You think the O's are giving Eaton regular starts & innings just so they can cut him?

You have a funny way of putting things. Penn, who has a 6.23 ERA and give up 13 hits in 8.2 IP hasn't pitched badly but Albers who has give up 6 hits in 8 IP and has a 2.25 ERA hasn't pitched well. Miriam Webster just turned over in her grave.

When the O's decided Pauley wasn't going to make the rotation he stopped getting starts. Anyone notice Baez or Eaton not continuing to get their starts?

I didn't say Albers hadn't pitched well, I said he has been hurt and was probably destined for the pen.

What happens to you if he doesn't make the OD roster?

There is only one starter on this team that probably has a chance to pitch 200 innings. That's Guthrie. The rest will get injured, a tired arms, be unproductive or hit a point in the season where the O's don't want them to pitch more innings because it might hurt them in the future. That being true there will be plenty of starting innings to go around during the year.

Therefore, I think MacPhail has it right. He wants to keep as many of the productive pitchers around as possible. That should not stop him from DFAing Pauley and maybe even Penn if he does not step up, but there are nine or 10 starting candidates that he will want to keep around just to get through the season.

I have read where posters think Tillman, Hernandez and Berken might pitch quite a bit in the majors in the second half. I don't think they can be counted on to be in the majors until late Sept. Norfolk should be loaded with talent. If they get in a pennant race the O's management will want to keep them at AAA in order for them to learn about the pressures of competing when games matter. I don't really see anything wrong with that.

Because Arrieta and maybe Matusz may spend some of the 2nd half at Norfolk, I do think the O's will allow Bergesen to be promoted to the majors a some point during the year if he gets sent down because those two will be around to take his place.

Hello! Anyone out there? Eaton wasn't signed until camp was already in progress so he was behind the other pitchers. As soon as the O's could get him ready, he started getting starts and innings. I agree that Bergesen is being auditioned as if he's got a real shot. I'm not counting him out completely. As I said though, I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah I know that, cut the condescension for a second and try to understand. Eaton isn't being favored over anyone. The fact he WAS signed late is all the more reason for us to take a longer look at him.

They were shipped out to the MiL game to make up for the rainout so the other guys can stay on their regular rotation.

Are you sure Eaton isn't being favored over anyone? How many starts has Hayden Penn gotten? Have you noticed that guys like Penn & Bass have gotten some innings but then get a relief appearance for one inning. Why don't we see Eaton or Baez getting those one innings appearances?

Maybe it is because the coaches have a better idea of what those guys can do? Because, you know, they are in this organization and Eaton has not been in this organization and they need to see what he can do?

Albers wouldn;t be getting a "raw deal" he hasn't pitched well and probably should have gotten surgery,

Hey, my short term memory ain't so hot sometimes too.

What happens to me if Albers doesn't make the OD roster? Is that a trick question? Nothing happens to me. I haven't seen Albers pitch or read any reports on him. If his velocity and stuff are where it was last year then I think he deserves a spot based on last year. As for you questioning whether Albers should have gotten surgery, aren't you jumping the gun a little bit? Maybe he made a very good decision. Time will tell.

Alright fine fine you got me.

I was making a reference to the windmill hitting me in the bum when Eaton makes the team - because you have magic future-vision and all.

Instead of arguing over preferential treatment of one pitcher or another, remember what Krantz told Roch two weeks ago--Starters need 25 innings as a base, relievers 10-15. Krantz remarks were specific to Koji and R Hill, but still it is about 8 or 9 guys getting as close to 25 innings as possible. In fact it is Gutherie that may not have this base for opening day.

Could you imagine our fourth best pitcher on the 6th?

I'm late to this discussion, but I think anyone who doesn't think Eaton is all but a lock to make the OD rotation is kidding him or herself. I personally believe he was all but guaranteed a spot the day they signed him.

As for MacPhail not wanting to lose any of his "inventory" (or whatever it was he said), my reply to him were he to ask me would be that "losing" Baez wouldn't be a loss (other than to the purse strings - except that he's already a sunk cost either way). Now if only he would ask me. :scratchchinhmm:

You're losing me here, 1970.

I don't understand the basis for the personal belief about Eaton being all but guaranteed a spot. In the event that the Eaton pursuit was competitive, I'm sure there must have been discussions between the team and Eaton's agent (and perhaps Eaton as well) regarding what his chances of making the rotation and/or roster might be. Are you suggesting that such a discussion would have been slanted to deceive Eaton, or that they changed the standard by which they would make a judgment on him come OD as part of the deal when they signed him? Neither one sounds plausible. It certainly is very plausible, and not at all disturbing if it did occur, that based on their best judgment at that time, the team informed Eaton and his agent that they felt there was a very good chance he would make the OD rotation.

I also don't understand the lack of appreciation for dollars in the event that a significant chunk can be recovered for Baez, nor the insistence that he is ALREADY a sunk cost. That would be true if he fails to show enough for another team to have interest in him. Based on what I know, such a judgment appears premature at this time. The braintrust has a lot more basis that I do to assess this situation. If they determine at a certain point that his physical recovery and/or projected pitching performance are weak enough to make signficant dollar recovery unlikely, they may well conclude at a certain point that the cost is indeed fully or mostly sunk. There's nothing definitive for me or other outsiders to know that yet.

You're losing me here, 1970.

I don't understand the basis for the personal belief about Eaton being all but guaranteed a spot. In the event that the Eaton pursuit was competitive, I'm sure there must have been discussions between the team and Eaton's agent (and perhaps Eaton as well) regarding what his chances of making the rotation and/or roster might be. Are you suggesting that such a discussion would have been slanted to deceive Eaton, or that they changed the standard by which they would make a judgment on him come OD as part of the deal when they signed him? Neither one sounds plausible. It certainly is very plausible, and not at all disturbing if it did occur, that based on their best judgment at that time, the team informed Eaton and his agent that they felt there was a very good chance he would make the OD rotation.

I also don't understand the lack of appreciation for dollars in the event that a significant chunk can be recovered for Baez, nor the insistence that he is ALREADY a sunk cost. That would be true if he fails to show enough for another team to have interest in him. Based on what I know, such a judgment appears premature at this time. The braintrust has a lot more basis that I do to assess this situation. If they determine at a certain point that his physical recovery and/or projected pitching performance are weak enough to make signficant dollar recovery unlikely, they may well conclude at a certain point that the cost is indeed fully or mostly sunk. There's nothing definitive for me or other outsiders to know that yet.

Because it is so unlikely to happen, that keeping him on the roster for some kind of false hope is absurd.

Because it is so unlikely to happen, that keeping him on the roster for some kind of false hope is absurd.
You may well be right, SG. I have no basis to agree or disagree with your statement (other than the aburdity part, but it would be beyond realistic for me to expect you to have phrased that more gently). But I have no confidence in either you or I making that call.

Then why not send Baez and Eaton to MiL camp?

I agree with you overall about BB but I wouldn't read much into sending him to Mil camp over Baez and Eaton. Though they've been awful/hurt the last couple of years, they are still established major leaguers (insert joke here). Sending a vet to the minor league game is a slap in the face. Yes, it is done but in this case, there's not much difference and there was no reason to go there, IMO

We're not going anywhere in 2009, and based on your thread "does it matter who starts OD", does it matter who starts OD?

Archived