Bergesen threw 6 scoreless today

Frobby

I think that Bergeson will be the first up of the "Big 4". He will be a control pitcher with acceptable stuff. He will not dominate with his fastball, but I think Kranitz can help him potentially add a breaking pitch that goes over the plate.

His fastball has some good sink to it, he will get a decent amount of groundball outs, and his changeup should help him get a few Ks. He also has a slider, but I don't know how effective it will be at the Major League level.

Bergesen also works quickly, and throws strikes. This will keep his BB level down.

Bergesen will end up being man number 5 in a future rotation of Matusz Tillman Guthrie Arietta and Bergesen.

I am a fan!

I'm of the opinion Bergesen will be nothing special and perhaps more of a middle innings relief guy if he has infact a long major league career. Looking for the fourth Big Four?? Try Aaron Crow. Just my two cents:)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But do you think MacPhail will waive Simon or Baez or Bass or release Easton to start the year with Bergesen in the rotation? That the decision the O's really have to make. We know they will wait until the last minute to make it but I am not sure they are ready to let any of those guys go.

I don't see it much of a risk. I suppose they will hang on to the ones they think are of some immediate use and the ones they dont use immediately will probably be available later on anyway. Those or other pitchers let go by other teams.

If the only risk is losing one of those listed above I dont see a real downside to giving Bergesen his ML chance this year. Looking forward to seeing what he can do against major leaguers in ST. That should be the next step, right?

SG, I think that's a veteran thing more than anything else. You don't ask a vet to travel several hours to go face minor league hitters. Just look at who goes to the ST road games. So I would read very little into the fact that BB was the one who made the trip.
If this is true, it is total bs.

Baez hasn't earned anything to get any kind of special treatment and if you want BB in the rotation, you need to see how he will do against real competition.

Baez is still essentially rehabbing...When you rehab, you face MiL talent.

Well, you might think it is BS... but I find it hard to believe that you are actually surprised by the idea.

When it comes to ST bus rides, this kind of thing happens all the time: The vet stays home while the not-even-rookie rides the bus. Within certain limits, it's completely normal.

Baez hasn't earned anything to get any kind of special treatment and if you want BB in the rotation, you need to see how he will do against real competition.

Or maybe they wanted Bergesen to go and have a great outing against the kids and Baez to travel to face a good lineup so he could fall flat on his face and further damaging his chances. ;)

Well, you might think it is BS... but I find it hard to believe that you are actually surprised by the idea.

When it comes to ST bus rides, this kind of thing happens all the time: The vet stays home while the not-even-rookie rides the bus. Within certain limits, it's completely normal.

Baez has earned nothing, doesn't belong on the team and is rehabbing.

So yes, in this particular instance, it would be surprising...and poor.

Or maybe they wanted Bergesen to go and have a great outing against the kids and Baez to travel to face a good lineup so he could fall flat on his face and further damaging his chances. ;)

Here's hoping this is the correct theory.

The quicker we cut him, the better.

Here's hoping this is the correct theory.

The quicker we cut him, the better.

I am surprised at how many relievers they have kept in camp.

I wonder if they are looking at Baez solely as a starter and will cut him if he doesn't cut it. I would prefer tht way and give his spot to another reliever.

I am surprised at how many relievers they have kept in camp.

I wonder if they are looking at Baez solely as a starter and will cut him if he doesn't cut it. I would prefer tht way and give his spot to another reliever.

It just amazes me that this organization actually believes Baez could have value as a starter.

It just amazes me that this organization actually believes Baez could have value as a starter.

Does he really have value as a reliever though?

The 7th-9th innings are going to be left to Johnson-Ray-Sherrill. Sarfate might be in the mix a little as well.

That means Baez is the one coming in in the 5th inning or in blow out losses, so his value as a reliever isn't much. He might just have more value if he can be turned into a starter, of course it isn't going well.

Does he really have value as a reliever though?

The 7th-9th innings are going to be left to Johnson-Ray-Sherrill. Sarfate might be in the mix a little as well.

That means Baez is the one coming in in the 5th inning or in blow out losses, so his value as a reliever isn't much. He might just have more value if he can be turned into a starter, of course it isn't going well.

Thus the reason he has no business being on the team.

He has no value to us whatsoever.

Anonymous is right in what he has been saying...The value to keeping Baez is the hope that you can trade him and save some money...The problem is that the scenario in which that is possible just isn't that realistic....Doesn't mean it can't happen, its just not very likely.

Arbitration is absolutely based on service time, it has nothing to do with the date you were added to the 40-man.

There are no money or service time issues to consider with Bergesen though. If you think he's both capable of handling the major league experience and that he's one of the 5 best starters we have, then he starts with the MLB club on Opening Day.

Your first sentence is exactly right - which is part of the reason your second paragraph is wrong.

It also tells you which way the Orioles are likely leaning in terms of the rotation.
I don't know how it tells you this. It sounds like Bergesen did what was asked of him...he went out threw strikes and worked fast.

I still think Bergesen may HAVE to be in the rotation to open the season. You can't rely on Baez to give you any more than 3 or 4 innings in any outing at the beginning of the season. Heck, he hasn't even shown he can go 2.

I see the rotation shaping up as:

Guthrie

Uehara

Eaton

Bergesen

Simon

I think they will skip the 5th guy and let Simon work in long relief to start the season, and bring him into the rotation when he's needed.

This could change if Uehara isn't ready, obviously. If he's not, I think you'll see everyone move up one spot, with Waters being the 5th guy.

SG, I think that's a veteran thing more than anything else. You don't ask a vet to travel several hours to go face minor league hitters. Just look at who goes to the ST road games. So I would read very little into the fact that BB was the one who made the trip.

Right now, I think BB makes the rotation over Baez.

And just to add to this...

They may need to see Baez more than Bergesen at this point in time facing major league hitters. They've seen what BB can do, and maybe they feel confident that he's going to be ready to step in right now.

Baez is probably more of an unknown to the organization in a starting role at this point than Bergesen is.

I am just saying. :D

I am a fan of Bergesen as many others are on OH and I'm disappointed though not surprised he was sent down today. He should be on the staff to start the season. He still could be on the roster by opening day or sometime in April. They want to give work to some others and I think they may still add another starter from another team in the near future. We are over loaded with relievers and potential starters and it's time to put a deal together with us giving up three players for one decent starter. Wieters will get sent down and will work with Bergesen for a few weeks to start the season and then they will both probably come up at the same time.

I still don't see a spot for Walker or Baez on this roster and they are too expensive to keep on the team. We need to move both of them even if we have to eat a lot of their salaries. They are not going to help us. If anything they will hurt us. Get rid of them ASAP. I hope we can get an A or AA player for each of them. If not just release them. They don't fit.

I think Simon has got a lot of potential and has shown enough to give him a #4 or #5 role along with Bass. Eaton will probably get a shot unless he totally fades in his remaining appearances.

The starters on Opening Day will be Guthrie, Uehara, Eaton, Simon and Bass unless we get a veteran starter in a deal in the next two weeks.

I mentioned on another post that Niemann or Hammel from Tampa or Bannister from the Royals might be available. AM should be trying to work a deal for one of them.

Archived