Suarez, Povich, and Irvin for Atlanta

accinfo

10 minutes ago, btownoriole said:

I’d be tempted to start Suarez on Sunday on 4 days rest and hold Burnes for Tuesday in NY.  While the Philly series is big a win against NY is more valuable in the standings than against the Phils.

That could work, but I don’t know if Burnes likes that much extra rest. I think the way they’d shoehorn Burnes into the Bronx if they want to would be, start him on 4 days rest both Saturday vs Philly and Thursday vs the Yankees.

41 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

This. You only get so many shots at your division rivals with the new schedule. Malpractice not to have your ace go in New York.

It’s June. Too early to worry about that. 

Edited by DirtyBird
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

It’s June. Too early to worry about that. 

I could see Kremer, Irvin, Bradish as a possibility in NY though.

Exactly right. It's crazy talk to act like there is some great grievance to be had if Burnes doesn't pitch against the Yankees in a game in June.

4 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

With the off day pre-NY, I think Povich may be optioned after his start no matter the result. I'm guessing: 

ATL: Suarez, Povich, Irvin

PHI: Bradish, Rodriguez, Burnes

off-day

@NYY: Suarez, Irvin, Bradish?

They could potentially skip Suarez in NY and go with Irvin-Bradish-Rodriguez on 4 days rest each. But I think they'll do the above. 

Push Grayson and Burnes up to pitch on normal rest vs Philly, then Bradish on extra rest with Suarez and Irvin vs NYY. 

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They don't have a single hitter with an OPS over .800 other than Ozuna.

That is genuinely surprising.  Wow

Their second highest OPS is by Travis d'Arnaud (.765) - good hitter for a catcher but still...

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

That is genuinely surprising.  Wow

Their second highest OPS is by Travis d'Arnaud (.765) - good hitter for a catcher but still...

It is.  You figure that some of those guys are gonna get it together.  Hopefully that starts after we play them this week.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It is.  You figure that some of those guys are gonna get it together.  Hopefully that starts after we play them this week.

Losing Acuna appears to have had a ripple effect.  Sean Murphy's also banged up.

6 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

@NYY: Suarez, Irvin, Bradish?

They could potentially skip Suarez in NY and go with Irvin-Bradish-Rodriguez on 4 days rest each. But I think they'll do the above. 

I think I am rooting for the Suarez skip.    We may get a clue if the Bradish-Grayson hooks against Philadelphia are quick Friday-Saturday.

With the off day, they could kind of angle the Yankee Stadium series as if it was a 4-man rotation and a 9-man bullpen.

Kind of the same as Heston Kjerstad was I feel rostered to be the most dangerous pinch hitter in the first Yankees series, I wonder if Cade Povich even if his presence in 6-man rotation is just the 2 turns hangs on as one of the top 13 pitchers to compete in that series.

Coming off an off day next Tuesday, if Suarez is the scheduled starter, it might play out as a little bit more of a choreographed bullpen game than you might normally get in mid-June.

9 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

That could work, but I don’t know if Burnes likes that much extra rest. I think the way they’d shoehorn Burnes into the Bronx if they want to would be, start him on 4 days rest both Saturday vs Philly and Thursday vs the Yankees.

Yeah, good point.  If he doesn’t I wouldn’t force it.  But would love to get both Burnes and Bradish on the hill in that series.  When you only play 4 series against the team you’ll be battling for the division and playoff positioning all year, you want to have your ace(s) pitch in each of those if at all possible.

10 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Then how does Bradish get in that series? Right now he’s in line for Thursday. They’d have to pitch him Wednesday. 

I never thought I’d see the obsession with a 6 man rotation by fans. For years, it was maybe a 4 man rotation because we can’t find a 5th SP. Especially in the Mile Wright/Tyler Wilson era in 2015. 

I understand that we’re doing this to stay healthy and to keep our starters fresh for the postseason. I guess fans like it because we get to take a little look at Povich. One more “bad” start and that will quickly change though. 

This could be a thing through the rest of the season. Which I’m fine with. 162 is about basically having a 30-32 man roster anyways.