Will Juan Nunez, Moises Chace and Edgar Portes be added to the 40 man his off season?

wildcard

It looks like all three will be eligible for Rule 5 draft this coming off season.   There is the possibility that all three move to Bowie sometime during this season. They are all on Tony's Top 30 Prospect list.   If they do well at AA what is your take on whether Elias will add them to the O's 40 man roster this fall?

Seth Johnson who is at AA was added to the 40 man roster when he was acquired.

Edited by wildcard

• wildcard changed the title to Will Juan Nunez, Moises Chace and Edgar Portes be added to the 40 man his off season?
56 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It looks like all three will be eligible for Rule 5 draft this coming off season.   There is the possibility that all three move to Bowie sometime during this season. They are all on Tony's Top 30 Prospect list.   If they do well at AA what is your take on whether Elias will add them to the O's 40 man roster this fall?

Seth Johnson who is at AA was added to the 40 man roster when he was acquired.

If I had to guess today I would say none of them will be added.   If I had to guess one, I’d actually guess Nunez, by far the oldest, because I think he’d have the best chance of sticking in a ML bullpen next year.   

No. I don't think a ML team will reach that far into A-ball or even AA for the Rule 5. If I'm the Orioles, I might be holding them back to hide them a little, or promoting them very late so that they have very little AA experience for other teams to go on. 

Edited by interloper

Chace: Born 6/9/03, 33.1 IP, 2.16 ERA, 1.380 WHIP, 12.7 K/9, 2.2 K/BB.  Currently no. 25 on Tony’s “power rankings.”

Portes: Born 10/2/02, 41.2 IP, 2.06 ERA, 1.122 WHIP, 11.1,K/9, 2.6 K/BB.  Currently no. 24 in the power rankings.   

Nuñez: Born 12/7/00, 29.1 IP, 2.45 ERA, 1.091 WHIP, 11.7 K/9, 3.8 K/BB.  Currently a “bubble player” in the power rankings, previously ranked as high as 26.   

It’s too early to say whether any of them will be protected.   Let’s see how their seasons go.  Do they get to Bowie, and if so, when?  How do they do once promoted?   But if I’m guessing, I rank their chances of being protected in the order I listed them above.  I think Chace has the livest arm, and as the youngest, the most potential.  Nuñez is a bit old to still be in high A and least likely to get protected.  I think there’s a good chance none of the three are protected, just because they’ll still be awfully green when this season ends.   But like I said, let’s see where they are when the season ends.  

I think they would have to get to AA and have a solid stint there to finish the year to get added. I don’t think the 40-man crunch this off-season will be too bad, but as of right now it doesn’t seem likely they’ll be able to stick on a team that takes them in the rule 5.

The cost to adding them to the 40-man is not just the 40-man spot, but it also burns an option year. While they have upside for more, the most likely outcome for any of these guys is to be a RP, and it’s very valuable to have a pipeline of viable RPs with options. 

So putting them on the 40-man decreases their value in that way, and it may be worth exposing them to the rule 5 draft to gamble on in effect being able to get an extra option year. 

• Upvote 1