06/11 Roster Moves: Mateo reinstated from Concussion List and Bryan Baker recalled. (Coulombe to 15 Day IL and Norby back to Norfolk)

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not with Atlanta, Philly and the Yankees all falling within his 15 days.  You couldn’t pick a worse time for “load management.”   What a terrible time for us to be without our best lefty reliever.   

I have no doubt there is some kind of injury, just wondering if it might be the type of thing he could pitch through if we didn't already have >90% playoff odds locked up. Maybe load management is the wrong word for that. Really hoping it's not serious. Coulombe might be our best reliever, period. He's picked up where he left off last year plus a lower walk rate and 0.615 WHIP. 

36 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

6tl.gif

JERRY: Are you kidding? I've seen 'em squint. He can squint his way down to like twenty-thirty vision. Once we were driving down from the Catskills and he lost his glasses. He squinted his way from Wortsborough down to the Tappan Zee Bridge! He was spotting raccoons, on the road!

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Probably because Vespi hasn't pitched since 6/4 and needs to pitch, which there isn't a guarantee he would do with Baltimore.

Also Vespi is getting close to his maximum of 5 send-downs for the year.

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

It really was a boneheaded move, especially when considering Akin's history of injuries, inconsistency and since the guy HAD AN OPTION.

Baumann is also inconsistent and just a generally bad pitcher (or at least has been so far). His stuff is good which is why everyone wants to believe in him, but it still only grades out as marginally better than Akin’s according to stuff+, and Baumann also doesn’t throw strikes. His career stats in relief are: 20.5 K%, 11.3 BB%, 4.20 ERA, 4.52 FIP, 4.90 xFIP. Akin’s are: 23.4 K%, 6.4 BB%, 4.13 ERA, 3.46 FIP, 3.67 xFIP. The ERA is close, nothing else is. 

Now, I would rather have Baumann then Baker, but if people are really still up in arms about Baumann, they should be ecstatic about Baker being called up. His stuff+ last year was better and his career ERA and advanced stats are much better, with it not even being close. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Obviously we don't know and any pitcher's arm could go poof anytime, but I do feel like "inflammation" on a standalone basis is code for load management.

Coulombe's a good enough pitcher to rate some attrition protection.

If rule setters want to slow the carousel a little, they could think about 20 or 30 day minimums for this kind of stuff some other CBA.

I'll guess like Grayson he will not require a minor league rehab outing when the time's up.

I don’t think you can conclude that based on “elbow inflammation.”  Tyler Wells was originally placed on the IL this year with elbow inflammation. Until we get more context from the team on expected severity there’s no way to know. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, interloper said:

We could use 3 relievers really. 

Someone to replace Danny, someone to replace Tate, and someone to replace Akin. 

Better hope Perez continues to be good. 

I would do whatever it takes to get Tanner Scott, as well as some more under-the-radar cheaper guys. I dunno man. Elias has his work cut out. Good luck, bud. 

Elias needs to make a move and not the 2024 version of Fuji.

• Thanks 1