Bergesen optioned to Triple A

birdsfan4ever

You fail at understanding my logic, because we obviously don't agree what the 4th benchman should be. We know Trembley, we know he has a love fest with defense.

Freel doesn't have to be on this roster. Our bench should be something like this:

Reimold - LF, DH, PH duties (I.e. power hitting option off the bench)

???? [How many choices do we have again?) - Utility middle infielder

Wigginton - PH, Utility infielder

Random backup C that can't hit a lick - C

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey...look everyone! We're in the presence of a message board expert! :rolleyes:

I think Old Beta makes a valid point.

There's not a doubt in my mind that a small, but relentless army of posters behaving like rabid attack poodles will hallucinate, regurgitate and just plain flatulate a whole series of reasons why Andy MacPhail destroyed the career of Brad Bergesen by sentencing him to pitch in Triple-A after the young pitcher "proved" in Double-A and the Grapefruit League to prove he was above such purgatory.

The vast majority of posters certainly won't be intoxicated by that nonsensical gobbledygook, but if you spend any time on here at all you'll see that the welcoming world of Orioles Hangout does not discriminate against deluded conspiracy theorists who see a sinister plots being hatched as we speak by infiltrators and imposters being paid by the Orioles to do jobs that said posters could do much better.

And that's OK. Sometimes the comedic value of some of the things they type is as entertaining as all the other good things about this site.

Here's what Pie said when he was traded:

Sounds like he's a little full of himself, unlike Reimold and Montanez who have been very humble. Adam Jones wasn't saying these things when he came into camp. Even Matt Wieters himself isn't talking like this when he has every reason to.

Pie isn't showing me that he can be a superstar, just that he can talk like one. And the only reason he's got a spot is because he's MacPhail's pet project. He hasn't earned it like Reimold and Montanez.

This I don't agree with. He's just showing confidence, which I like.

On the one hand, I think Bergesen deserved a spot in the rotation and I think it could be good for the morale of the young players if he was rewarded with one. But on the other hand I love AM's philosophy of developing players at a patient pace without being seduced with the needs of a mediocre at best major league team. I also love that he wants to get every drop out of every asset that he has. So, on the pitching front, I have mixed emotions.

On the outfield front, my feelings are very one sided. I love that Reimold and Montanez are trying to force their way on this team, but reality is reality. We have a recent top prospect who still has a ton of potential, but is out of options. It's clearly the right move to give him every opportunity to reach his potential, particularly since we're not in danger of losing the other two this year. Any argument to the contray (w/o inside knowledge) is nothing more than bluster for the sake of bluster.

So prospects or former prospects out of options deserve roster spots over guys that do have options despite their performance?

That's the message the Orioles are sending and it's not a good one.

Pie didn't have to jump through any hoops to be the Orioles LFer.

Actually, this is exactly how it is. You can blame economics. The CBA basically sets its up this way.

A player in Pie's position of being out of options means it is his chance to get his shot at the show, sink or swim if you will. Therefore, the tolerance level for him is much higher then for Reimold and Montanez whom can easily be stashed at AAA. This provides the organization with the best chance to optimize long term success because they can keep more talent for longer.

If there were no 'options' then most likely Pie would be AAA and Reimold or Lou in LF. Actually, most likely Pie would be AAA for the Cubs.

Actually, this is exactly how it is. You can blame economics. The CBA basically sets its up this way.

A player in Pie's position of being out of options means it is his chance to get his shot at the show, sink or swim if you will. Therefore, the tolerance level for him is much higher then for Reimold and Montanez whom can easily be stashed at AAA. This provides the organization with the best chance to optimize long term success because they can keep more talent for longer.

If there were no 'options' then most likely Pie would be AAA and Reimold or Lou in LF. Actually, most likely Pie would be AAA for the Cubs.

Thank you. This is beautiful and exactly what needs to be said. Pie performed at Iowa and earned the opportunity that Bergesen and Reimold have not auditioned for quite yet. Pie has done AAA and has done it well, and this is his shot to stick it.

Thank you. This is beautiful and exactly what needs to be said. Pie performed at Iowa and earned the opportunity that Bergesen and Reimold have not auditioned for quite yet. Pie has done AAA and has done it well, and this is his shot to stick it.

Just because those guys haven't been to AAA, doesn't mean they shouldn't be here.

I was initially really upset about Bergesen being sent down, but now I really don't think it's a big deal.

I would much rather see him in the rotation than Eaton or Baez, but I believe Bergesen will be in the rotation by the end of April.

Now, if Penn is also cut, I will be extremely upset.

What is Bergesen going to learn in 7 starts in AAA that he won't learn in Baltimore? It makes no sense to leave him down there for only a month or two. Why do we need to see Eaton fail first when we know it is going to happen? Just cut him now and give somebody else his spot.

If Bergesen does struggle in the majors, then you can send him back down. But sending him down when he's outpitched everybody in camp is not the right thing to do at this point, not when your rotation needs somebody to offer what Bergesen appears to be capable of. 2 months of AAA isn't suddenly going to have something click for Bergesen IMO. He is what he is and those innings would be much more valuable in Baltimore than in Norfolk. The Orioles need him now more than the Tides do...

It makes no sense? Surely, SURELY... you can't be serious with that point. Poster after poster have outlined the many reasons why sending him down makes sense. Whether you choose to acknolwedge that is another issue. I'm not sure what he's going to learn. But I bet you can't prove whatever he "won't" learn in AAA. Staying hungry and building on the bar he set for himself during spring training is one hell of a start. He's so close to being called up, it almost appears as though desperation has set in for you. Given how much you are fighting for him, and how soon he'll be called up anyway -- you'd think this was another player. Mcphail has proven time and time again there is a method to his madness. The only logic I'm having trouble grasping is the point of going over this topic again and again. Bergesen will be up in due time. He'll be better off for it. I'm sorry you won't be able to see him for 6 weeks, but at the end of the day all will be right in the world.

It makes no sense? Surely, SURELY... you can't be serious with that point. Poster after poster have outlined the many reasons why sending him down makes sense. Whether you choose to acknolwedge that is another issue. I'm not sure what he's going to learn. But I bet you can't prove whatever he "won't" learn in AAA. Staying hungry and building on the bar he set for himself during spring training is one hell of a start. He's so close to being called up, it almost appears as though desperation has set in for you. Given how much you are fighting for him, and how soon he'll be called up anyway -- you'd think this was another player. Mcphail has proven time and time again there is a method to his madness. The only logic I'm having trouble grasping is the point of going over this topic again and again. Bergesen will be up in due time. He'll be better off for it. I'm sorry you won't be able to see him for 6 weeks, but at the end of the day all will be right in the world.

You know our friend Trea. He won't ever change.

You know what's funny about this thread? If you had run a poll on the first day of camp asking whether Bergesen would be in our starting rotation this year, I doubt you would have found five people who would have said yes. According to OH, he was the 18th-best prospect in our system, and the 10th-best pitcher.

If you ask me, we should be happy that Bergesen has shown himself to be a viable candidate for the major league rotation, instead of complaining that he's not going to be in the rotation to start the year. Focus on the long term, this is one more guy who may be able to have some impact at the major league level.

Archived