Bergesen optioned to Triple A

birdsfan4ever

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really. Bergesen is not a particularly highly touted prospect and he has some things he needs to work on, namely, getting out lefthanded hitters. He performed well in limited time this spring, but I doubt the Orioles are going to base their decision solely on ST results against B and C lineups.

Now, I'm not saying you have to agree with the move, but to say it's "beyond comprehension" isn't accurate, IMO.

I think it's beyond comprehension based on our alternative options. I'd rather throw him out there and let him take his lumps than watch Eaton, Baez, Simon, Pauley, Hendrickson, etc be throw out there every fifth day. So yes, it is quite beyond comprehension.

Reality is, we aren't going to win this year anyway, so why are we throwing those guys out there when we could throw Bergesen or Penn OR both out there...that is what I don't know and don't comprehend!

I understand where you are coming from.

1. This is the typical OH reaction to everything.

Pretty much, especially when it comes to promoting unproven MiL guys to the big club.

2. Did anyone think he realistically had a shot?

From my point of view, he came out of nowhere and earned himself a semi-shot, but the odds weren't great.

I expect he impressed the people who matter, and has stepped towards the head of the line.

He did himself a whole lot of good, which is a non-trivial accomplishment.

I bet he's heard exactly that from people who matter.

I also bet he's not all worked up about this like some posters here are.

3. He won't be down for long anyway.

That's what I think, especially if he makes progress on whatever they put on his To-Do list.

I understand to a degree not "rushing" guys up but how many guys are we going to baby? We need to give some of the young guys a chance or we'll never know one way or the other. And if we do continue to baby all of them they'll be 28 or injured in the minors before we know it. Let some of these kids play. Just annoyed with the same old same old. Lame, worthless, over-the-hill AAAA veterans.

Or maybe they are just too obsessed over the idea of "having been there before".

Maybe. What the hell do I know?

Whatever the reason, If he's good in AAA while Eaton is putting up a 6+ ERA, he'll be up soon enough anyway.

They said they weren't going to rush guys and now everybody's upset because they're not rushing guys? I don't believe Bergesen has pitched one inning in triple A. Let him come down here and do just what he has done this spring and he'll be back before long. I just don't understand why so many of you get so upset about something as insignificant as this will be in the long run.

I believe AM’s strategy for the first three months of this season is to identify who he wants to be on the 2010 roster. That means using player options to fill out the minor league rosters and keeping those without options on the major league roster. This maximizes the competition for the 2010 roster. The first half of the 2009 season may very well be difficult for die-hard fans to watch after a dozen losing seasons. There could well be much turnover of both starting and relief pitching by June. Outfield and infield turnover can be expected in July and August. This is all about preparing for 2010.

I'm quite relieved by this move. It means the O's are staying on target philosophically. If as AM and Kranitz have said, young pitchers will need to establish themselves at each level before making the move to the bigs, then they should not make an exception for Bergesen no matter how good he looked this spring.

I think I like Bergesen's chances to become a solid part of our ML rotation for a long time to come as much or more than most people, but sending him to AAA to start the season just makes too much sense. He has options. This will preserve an extra year of team control down the road. It sends the correct message to other pitchers on what to expect as they progress through the minors. It reinforces that the current O's front office is building for the future and will do it the right way, instead of making knee jerk decisions for the short term that might prove to have negative long term repercussions.

Bergesen will be up with the O's very soon I think. Almost nothing to be gained from having him on the roster to start the season and quite a bit to be lost.

Archived