What’s the preferable way to win a 2-1 series?

Frobby

What’s the preferable way to win a 2-1 series   

50 members have voted

1. 1. What’s the preferable way to win a 2-1 series?

• Win the first two, lose the third
    • Win one, lose one, win one
    • Lose the first, win the last two

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/15/24 at 19:51

At the end of the day, winning just about any series 2 games to 1 is a good outcome.  But do you have a preference as to which of the three games the O’s win?

On the one hand, it’s nerve wracking to lose the first game because then the team is behind the 8-ball.  One the other hand, when you win the first two, you’re kind of playing with house money but it’s deflating not to complete a sweep.  Win, lose, win begins and ends on a good note, but you never have that shot at a sweep.  

Which do you prefer?  I didn’t include a don’t care option.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

But in the hypothetical you are guaranteed to lose game 3.

Correct but you don't know that at the time. If you win the first two you had a shot at a sweep, it just didn't happen. 

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

Correct but you don't know that at the time. If you win the first two you had a shot at a sweep, it just didn't happen. 

OK, so after the fact after losing the third game you prefer having had a shot at the sweep even though you failed to get it. Lol, it really makes no difference to me. Feels like a trick question.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

OK, so after the fact after losing the third game you prefer having had a shot at the sweep even though you failed to get it. Lol, it really makes no difference to me. Feels like a trick question.

It's really not. Going into any series if you lose the first game, you have no shot at a sweep, so if you win the last two that's cool. If you win the first and lose the 2nd there is pressure of a rubber match game, if you win the first two, you always had a chance at a sweep, it's better to have that chance than not to, in my opinion. 

My initial thought was win the first two and that’s how I voted, but thinking on it some more, that might be the *worst* way, especially if there’s an off-day after. Now the loss lingers as opposed to winning the last two and going into the next series feeling good. 

Winning the series after losing the first game is definitely the most satisfying of the three ways. Quickly goes from a series you think you’re going to lose to one that you win, and the beginning of a win streak.

9 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

How could this possibly matter?  If you're winning 2 of every 3, don't get picky!

The issue is you don't know how the series is going to play out until it's over. I was happy with the ATL series winning the first two, we lost the last one but I didn't feel like it was a crushing loss and nobody knew we were going to lose that game, I don't think the point is to look at this in hindsight, I want to win the first two games of every series if I have the choice.