Surprise! Eaton getting rocked

Three Run Homer

Eaton got through his last 2 innings relatively unscathed. So, when it comes down to it, he had one bad inning. His outing was about the same as Guthrie's.

Look, nobody is kidding themselves. We'd be extremely fortunate if Eaton's ERA was in the vicinity of 5.00. Unfortunately, the same can be said for every single candidate for the 4th/5th slots in the rotation.

I really don't care much who we trot out there in April and May, so long as we're willing to change horses in late May or June if they are just ridiculously bad.

Eaton got through 2 innings unscathed after the Twins took all of their major leaguers out of the lineup. Not saying much.

I can't bring myself to say that it doesn't matter who pitches for the first two months. The only games I don't care about losing are Spring Training games. Once the bell rings and the games count, then losing sucks, period.

Even if there were some good reason for Brad Bergesen to learn about the local byways and customs of the Tidewater region, we could still find better placeholders than Adam Eaton or Danys Baez.

Like Shawn Hill, for instance.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do some actually become joyful when players on the team they root for do poorly?? :)I find this especially distressing for a pitcher when the rotation is in such a shamble. :confused:

When it means there's a chance that Penn, Pauley, etc., might be exposed to waivers, I do.

Randy Wolf, Braden Looper and Jamie Moyer were all available after Lowe and Burnett.

We didn't offer enough to Looper and didn't pursue Moyer or Wolf and Moyer expressed an interest in coming here.

And it would have been nice to have at least offered 5/75 or 4/60 with a vesting option for Burnett. Considering the guy wanted to play here he might have taken a discount, but we never pursued him seriously.

None of those guys were reasonable options. We would have had to beaten the contracts they all signed, and beating any of their contracts would have been a miserable decision.

Going 2-years for any of those guys would have been a poor move, IMO. I didn't even want to go two years for Uehara.

I'll cede that a decent case can be made for preferring Wolf to Uehara, although I'll take my chances with Koji without even adding in the benefits of finally getting into Japan. I wouldn't want both of those guys on 2-year deals.

So unless you are making the argument that any of the guys you pointed out would be willing to take 1-year deals from us, your point has little merit. Two-year deals for these guys would be a very bad decision from MacPhail. He knows it, almost everybody on here knows it. You seem to be the only one who doesn't.

Next year we're gonna have Guthrie, Uehara, Penn, Bergesen, Patton, Hernandez, Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta, and Berken all with a decent chance of making the rotation out of Spring Training. Blocking one or two of them with Braden Looper or Randy Wolf would be a travesty.

Randy Wolf, Braden Looper and Jamie Moyer were all available after Lowe and Burnett.

We didn't offer enough to Looper and didn't pursue Moyer or Wolf and Moyer expressed an interest in coming here.

And it would have been nice to have at least offered 5/75 or 4/60 with a vesting option for Burnett. Considering the guy wanted to play here he might have taken a discount, but we never pursued him seriously.

You give me the urge to make a video on almost a daily basis.

heh, looks like in this case JTrea was kind of prophetic. :laughlol:

I probably shouldn't find it so amusing, because it doesn't bode well for my beloved O's...........but from Roch here are Trembley's comments on Eaton's performance today:

Here's what Trembley said about Adam Eaton:

"He throws strikes. He got a couple balls that were wind-aided and a couple more of them that were hit real good. But he throws strikes, he works fast. A couple pitches up he probably wants back.

"He's better when he's down. I don't think he can afford to pitch up a lot unless he really gets it up out of the strike zone."

I hope this knocks him out of the competition, but I know it won't...

Anybody else want to bet Trembley says "well he threw strikes" in his postgame?

LOL!

"He throws strikes. He got a couple balls that were wind-aided and a couple more of them that were hit real good. But he throws strikes, he works fast. A couple pitches up he probably wants back.

"He's better when he's down. I don't think he can afford to pitch up a lot unless he really gets it up out of the strike zone."

http://masnsports.com/2009/03/recapping-todays-loss.html

Next year we're gonna have Guthrie, Uehara, Penn, Bergesen, Patton, Hernandez, Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta, and Berken all with a decent chance of making the rotation out of Spring Training. Blocking one or two of them with Braden Looper or Randy Wolf would be a travesty.

Not to mention Rich Hill.

Not to mention Rich Hill.

If all those guys are successful and or healthy. Remember what we started out with this ST? Moyer and Wolf or Looper on this team as failsafes wouldn't be a bad thing. And as long as they performed league average like they should we could have dealt them at the deadline or in August or even in the offseason as every team is looking for pitching. It would also allow us to possibly deal Guthrie for positional talent.

Archived