Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

21 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Thanks.  I almost said his swing looks long, but the camera angles were tough to really say.  Sounds like he's got some Billy Cook/Hudson Haskin in him too.  

Cook and Haskin seem like odd comps.

45 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Thanks.  I almost said his swing looks long, but the camera angles were tough to really say.  Sounds like he's got some Billy Cook/Hudson Haskin in him too.  

Both of those players are risks to be straight up released from the system. They don't come close to Zavala's prospect status. 

52 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Here's Keith Law's take.

6. Samuel Zavala, OF

Bats: L | Throws: L | Height: 6-1 | Weight: 175 | Seasonal age in 2024: 19

Zavala made the end of my top 100 last year but would have been 50 or so spots lower after a slew of less-flattering reports from scouts in 2023. He did have a very solid year by the numbers, with a .267/.420/.451 line as an 18-year-old in Low A, ranking in the top 20 in the minors in walks drawn with 96 but with a 26 percent strikeout rate. He does have bat speed, but his swing is long and busy and it’s hard for him to repeat. His defense took a step back last year and he is all but certain to end up in a corner. Scouts commented on a lack of focus on defense and even sometimes in the box as well. He does still have the bat speed and makes hard enough contact to expect 20+ homer power, but the swing and miss is a real concern and the on-field makeup is even more so.

Sounds a little harsh for an 18 year old.  Zavala must've done a bat flip in front of some grumppy scouts or something.  If he looked like this as an 18 year old high school senior he'd be in the mix to go top 5 of the draft.  I'm not some big Zavala fan, but this just goes to show how these prospect lists have a lot of factors that go into them other than just talent, and are strongly biased towards draft position.  

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Both of those players are risks to be straight up released from the system. They don't come close to Zavala's prospect status. 

That was the point.  Highest ceiling with a K% risk.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sounds a little harsh for an 18 year old.  Zavala must've done a bat flip in front of some grumppy scouts or something.  If he looked like this as an 18 year old high school senior he'd be in the mix to go top 5 of the draft.  I'm not some big Zavala fan, but this just goes to show how these prospect lists have a lot of factors that go into them other than just talent, and are strongly biased towards draft position.  

I don't think loss of focus is synonymous with bat flipping or showboating.   Maybe forgetting how many outs there are and that sort of thing.   It would have to be a pattern to really be a concern.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Zavala is a stud.  The current non top 100 ranking shouldn't throw anyone off. 18 yo CF that had a .420 OBP in his first full season in A ball.  He's a dude that could be top 25-50 on midseason lists.  As O's fans would we rather have EBJ or Zavala?    

It's funny to laugh at the CWS after an offseason of talking to them, but I think they eventually got what they wanted.  Zavala does have big time upside and would should be a pretty safe floor if he sticks in CF.  The owner said they wanted pitching since they were trading pitching so they got back three arms. 

Oddly, the Padres might've given up the next Juan Soto, and the main prospect they got back for the actual Juan Soto.  

If Zavala is going to be the next Juan Soto, he better be on the ML team this year and put up a 142 OPS+.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

this just goes to show how these prospect lists have a lot of factors that go into them other than just talent

He's got an ugly girlfriend.  An ugly girlfriend means no confidence.

@Sports Guy or anyone else, Would you trade you make these trades for Steven Wilson that reliever that the CWS just got back from SD…

Stowers for Steven Wilson?

Norby for Steven Wilson?

There was obviously no Cease with Baltimore, but the two teams should no each other pretty well at this point. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There were many who wanted the Orioles trade for Dylan Cease over the winter.  He is not exactly pitching like an ace.  I personally thought he was not an ace.  2022 season looks like an outlier season for him.  Even with just 1 year remaining control versus 2, Corbin Burnes was much better deal.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1