David Price to start the year in the minors

Frobby

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=4011780

For those who think that starting Wieters or even Matusz in the minors is a bad idea, how do you like them apples?

By the way, the article doesn't mention this, but since Price accumulated about 19 days of service time last year, the Rays will have to keep him in the minors until May 7 or so to avoid having him become a free agent after the 2014 season. Dollars to donuts he won't be brought up until then.

This right here should end any similar arguments regarding Wieters or Matusz. A lot of people may not understand the economics of it all, but this is simply a smart business decision.

However, I will be curious to see if the Rays will be able to save Price in the minors for an entire month of a season. What happens if someone in the starting rotation goes down? What if they're scuffling along around or below .500 throughout that first month? I'll be anxious to see how they would handle that sort of pressure.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=4011780

For those who think that starting Wieters or even Matusz in the minors is a bad idea, how do you like them apples?

By the way, the article doesn't mention this, but since Price accumulated about 19 days of service time last year, the Rays will have to keep him in the minors until May 7 or so to avoid having him become a free agent after the 2014 season. Dollars to donuts he won't be brought up until then.

In a division that is likely going to be decided by a few games and with a wildcard spot that will also likely be decided by just a few games, this is just flat out stupid by the Rays.

This is why I quickly dropped him off my radar for fantasy drafts. He'll be great no doubt about it, but people were drafting him like he was going to pull a Tim Lincecum and lead the league in strike outs. He's not there quite yet.

In a division that is likely going to be decided by a few games and with a wildcard spot that will also likely be decided by just a few games, this is just flat out stupid by the Rays.

Did you read the article? I think Friedman's logic makes sense...

A: If he's not going to pitch a full season this year (the TB target is 155 innings for him) then would you rather have those innings in April or October? Price can still work on getting better on command issues and he can be brought up as soon as things get rocky in the AL East.

B: It's not like the Rays NEED a 5th starter badly because Hammel and Niemann are doing more than decent this spring. The Rays are super deep in pitching (i.e. the antithesis of the O's). As dominate as Price could be, they don't really need him just yet.

Man I generally enjoy a lot of your posts but to think you know more than a group of individuals who have most likely spent the majority of their adult lives being paid to make baseball decisions, is just unreservedly narcissistic. If they feel this is the right move for their team and organization then who the hell is anyone on this board to criticize????

Would the Rays lose one of their starters because they are out of options if they went with Price over someone else? I am guessing not, but it does sound like Price still has some minor issues to work on and he would be best served doing it in AAA as opposed to doing it in the AL East. Plus, the Rays won the division largely without him last year so they've still got that ace up their sleeve when they need it. Man, to be the Rays in 2009....

Man I generally enjoy a lot of your posts but to think you know more than a group of individuals who have most likely spent the majority of their adult lives being paid to make baseball decisions, is just unreservedly narcissistic. If they feel this is the right move for their team and organization then who the hell is anyone on this board to criticize????

It's especially tough to criticize a GM who took his team to the WS last year on a shoestring budget. Obviously the guy can weigh the pros and cons of personnel decisions pretty well.

However, I have no problem if SG wants to disagree. That's what the board is for, to discuss stuff like this. The "I know better" tone is just something you have to live with if you want to read SG's stuff.

It's especially tough to criticize a GM who took his team to the WS last year on a shoestring budget. Obviously the guy can weigh the pros and cons of personnel decisions pretty well.

However, I have no problem if SG wants to disagree. That's what the board is for, to discuss stuff like this. The "I know better" tone is just something you have to live with if you want to read SG's stuff.

As usual Frobby you are the voice of reason. Yeah, I guess I got a little carried away with my criticsm of SG and I agree this format to make such points. Thanks.

LOL...Do you understand the concept of opinion and a message board?

If you do, then you would know what a waste of time your post was.

This is why I quickly dropped him off my radar for fantasy drafts. He'll be great no doubt about it, but people were drafting him like he was going to pull a Tim Lincecum and lead the league in strike outs. He's not there quite yet.

Did you read the article? I think Friedman's logic makes sense...

A: If he's not going to pitch a full season this year (the TB target is 155 innings for him) then would you rather have those innings in April or October? Price can still work on getting better on command issues and he can be brought up as soon as things get rocky in the AL East.

B: It's not like the Rays NEED a 5th starter badly because Hammel and Niemann are doing more than decent this spring. The Rays are super deep in pitching (i.e. the antithesis of the O's). As dominate as Price could be, they don't really need him just yet.

HEre is my logic...Every game matters when you are a contender in a tight division and you want your best guys out there at all times.

If the DRays miss out on the playoffs this year in a close race, you better believe this will get mentioned.

You better worry about winning games in April and may before you start worrying about games in October.

LOL...Do you understand the concept of opinion and a message board?

If you do, then you would know what a waste of time your post was.

Well thank you your majesty for setting this poor peasant poster straight. Far be it for me to question your divine opinion or unquestionable expertise in the front office workings of a MLB franchise.

HEre is my logic...Every game matters when you are a contender in a tight division and you want your best guys out there at all times.

If the DRays miss out on the playoffs this year in a close race, you better believe this will get mentioned.

You better worry about winning games in April and may before you start worrying about games in October.

Your innings logic makes sense to me. However, if TB truly thinks Price has a few things he needs to work on in the minors to be the best major league pitcher he can be, then it makes sense to polish him off there -- and the fact that it will allow them to keep Price for an extra year on the back end is a nice side-benefit.

Would the Rays lose one of their starters because they are out of options if they went with Price over someone else? I am guessing not, but it does sound like Price still has some minor issues to work on and he would be best served doing it in AAA as opposed to doing it in the AL East. Plus, the Rays won the division largely without him last year so they've still got that ace up their sleeve when they need it. Man, to be the Rays in 2009....

Jeff Niemann and Jason Hammels are both out of options. One gets the fifth spot and the other gets a stint in the BP. Niemann probably gets the starting gig since it has been said, he takes an inordinate amount of time for him to warm up, which, of course is not conducive to relieving. If both do well, the Rays have good trade chips (much better than now) when they bring up Price. IMOP, both are better than Edwin Jackson (fifth starter last year), who they traded to the Tigers for OF Matt Joyce. Interestingly, Jackson was the main piece the Dodgers traded to the Rays for Baez.

My guess is since they do have this legitimate log jam, Price does have some minor issues with his CU and of course, the Rays would love to keep him for another year (I don't think that he is a Boras client though), that is why he is going down. I do agree with SG that games in April are just as important as Sept. since the Yanks have reloaded and 3 teams are now fighting for two spots. But, these two guys aren't chopped liver either, so, I think that the Rays decision has very good justifications.

Price has no change up he can throw in games right now, and made a comment last week that he has been working so hard to develop one his slider has disappeared. The Rays told him last year that they do not want him starting until he has 3 useable pitches. Right now he has 1.

Could he be effective in the 8th inning role like he was last year relying heavily on his FB and the slider, assuming he gets it back? Of course. But the Rays believe that they would rather have him in AAA developing to become an ace starter instead of using him as a reliever right now.

SG as for the tight race thing... No question Price is the best talent among Price, Niemann and Hammels. But you just can't stay that he is the best starting pitcher of the three of them right now. For them to go with anyone other than the best starting pitcher, given how even these teams are, would be crazy.

Well thank you your majesty for setting this poor peasant poster straight. Far be it for me to question your divine opinion or unquestionable expertise in the front office workings of a MLB franchise.

Doing it in a fashion where you attempt to talk about baseball is fine.

Doing it the way you did just cries out for attention.

Archived