This team isn’t winning anything unless it trades Holliday, Bassallo or Mayo

DirtyBird

Unfortunately, here in the Dominican, a lot of the time kids just quit school at 10, 11, 12 and play baseball full-time.

https://en.wikipedia.org

Unlike in the U.S. where baseball is a seasonal sport, Dominican kids can play year-round. Baseball has been the most popular sport there for well over 100 years, and is deeply engrained in popular culture. Professional baseball is widely seen as an opportunity for Dominican boys to escape poverty.Oct 25, 2016

https://www.quora.com

Just now, RZNJ said:

The DR kids are into baseball full time at early ages and into those academies.  I’m guessing most of the “prospects” down there aren’t playing other sports competitively by the age of 12-13.

I agree they play a lot baseball.  But not even close to soccer.   But then again look how many of them have been drafted in the past 10 years and have never made MLB.  I think it was a 'hot' fad...drafting so many foreign players.....that is starting to fade out.  Lately it seems as if more and more teams are made up of white and black Americans compared to 12 years ago. 

Look at the Os for example.  Almost all white American players.

My main point was guys like Bundy and Holliday didn't just play baseball a lot, there were literally groomed to by their parents like a Tiger.    24/7 since they were a baby just about.   Which is way out of the norm.....for a player of any race or heritage. 

4 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

This site is named in honor of a man I didn't personnally know but respected. There are times I think we need to remind ourselves of that. Not sure he would appreciate the way aspects of this thread has gotten very personal. I'm not a moderator - just old. But I think the name calling and personal back and forths should cease. Besides - There Are Rules about name calling. This site is better than this.

Great post.

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I agree they play a lot baseball.  But not even close to soccer.   But then again look how many of them have been drafted in the past 10 years and have never made MLB.  I think it was a 'hot' fad...drafting so many foreign players.....that is starting to fade out.  Lately it seems as if more and more teams are made up of white and black Americans compared to 12 years ago. 

My main point was guys like Bundy and Holliday didn't just play baseball a lot, there were literally groomed to by their parents like a Tiger.    24/7 since they were a baby just about.   Which is way out of the norm.....for a player of any race or heritage. 

Almost all?

Cano

Perez

Rodriguez

Suarez

Tate

Mateo

Urias

Mullins

Santander

• Haha 1

Buddy, you’re way off on this one.  The Latin market is hotter than ever.  You’re using the Orioles, who virtually had no Latin American system in place until Elias as an example?   Bad example.  I just posted that baseball has been the #1 sport in the DR for over 100 years.  Prove otherwise.  They aren’t drafted they’re signed and I could easily field an all-star team of under 25 yo, Latin American players and top prospects.  

Just now, RZNJ said:

Buddy, you’re way off on this one.  The Latin market is hotter than ever.  You’re using the Orioles, who virtually had no Latin American system in place until Elias as an example?   Bad example.  I just posted that baseball has been the #1 sport in the DR for over 100 years.  Prove otherwise.  They aren’t drafted they’re signed and I could easily field an all-star team of under 25 yo, Latin American players and top prospects.  

Also more players from Asia than ever before.

Acuna, Albies, Eury Pérez, Sandy Alcantara, Chourio, Caminero, Jasson Domínguez, etc. etc. etc.

Juan Soto, Julio Rodríguez, José Ramírez, Fernando Tatis

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Almost all?

Cano

Perez

Rodriguez

Suarez

Tate

Mateo

Urias

Mullins

Santander

Yes.   BTW I said white and black American players in my initial statement concerning the state of overall baseball.

Which takes away 2 of the players on your list. 

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think baseball is a hot sport there.  Especially in the DR.  I completely agree.   But not sure how that relates to what I was talking about when it comes to Jackson and Bundy and being "Tigerized" by their parents.  

2 different subjects. 

Yes a lot of C and S American and DR kids play baseball.  More play soccer though.   And the reason they play those sports is because it is cheap to do in countries that are impoverished.  It doesn't cost a lot for their parents to have their kids do it.  That doesn't mean they have parents like a JH or a DB who literally spend lots of $$$ and time to groom their kids to specifically play one sport.....like a robot. 

It also doesn't doesn't mean any meaningful % of those kids the will ever make the major leagues.   Minors yes?  Majors?   That remains to be seen. 

8 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Yes.   BTW I said white and black American players in my initial statement concerning the state of overall baseball.

Which takes away 2 of the players on your list. 

In what world is 17 (or 19)/26 almost all?

I think baseball is a hot sport there.  Especially in the DR.  I completely agree.   But not sure how that relates to what I was talking about when it comes to Jackson and Bundy and being "Tigerized" by their parents.  

2 different subjects. 

Yes a lot of C and S American and DR kids play baseball.  More play soccer though.   And the reason they play those sports is because it is cheap to do in countries that are impoverished.  It doesn't cost a lot for their parents to have their kids do it.  That doesn't mean they have parents like a JH or a DB who literally spend lots of $$$ and time to groom their kids to specifically play one sport.....like a robot. 

It also doesn't doesn't mean any meaningful % of those kids the will ever make the major leagues.   Minors yes?  Majors?   That remains to be seen. 

You talked about burnout and kids playing one sport and how it’s bad for you.  You keep talking about soccer.  Sure, the great majority of these DR players never make it, just like 99% of the white kids with there personal hitting and pitching coaches and travel ball from the time they’re 9 years old never make it.

Kids in the DR with any ability quit school, enter these baseball academies and play baseball 12 months a year.  It’s a cheap gold mine for ML teams if you’ve got the connections and an eye for talent.  It’s no fad.  It’s as strong as ever.  5 of the top 20 prospects in BA are Latin born.  I listed a bunch of young superstars.  

Two separate arguments.  One, the DR kids don’t seem to have burnout.   Two, the Latin American baseball market is as hot as ever.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In what world is 17 (or 19)/26 almost all?

White Americans?  Playing a major sport?  Besides hockey, which btw is mainly Canadian and Euro whites, name another major sport that is anywhere close to %'s like that?

Pro tip.

There isn't.