This team isn’t winning anything unless it trades Holliday, Bassallo or Mayo

DirtyBird

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The 2024 O's would likely not have Burnes, so they would be in worse position in the standings and definitely starting pitcing wise. 

My fault re. the above post. Thought you were addressing another comment I made. Sure, the Orioles would probably be worse if they hadn't acquired Burnes. I'm glad they acquired Burnes. My point is not that they shouldn't have made that trade. It's that manufacturing a sense of urgency and acting like we're a piece away at all times is bad process.

22 hours ago, Too Tall said:

This site is named in honor of a man I didn't personnally know but respected. There are times I think we need to remind ourselves of that. Not sure he would appreciate the way aspects of this thread has gotten very personal. I'm not a moderator - just old. But I think the name calling and personal back and forths should cease. Besides - There Are Rules about name calling. This site is better than this.

Thanks, and you are right. We don't see everything so the more offending posts are reported the easier and faster we can take care of things. 

I had to give a repeat offended a long suspension because I was tired of him obviously going against the rules. 

Thank you to all the people that stay civil and help keep this place the best place on the internet to discuss the Orioles.

DirtyBird may or may not be right, but with Bradish, Means and Wells gone -- and Burnes likely gone after the season -- I agree highly unlikely this team will reach the next step without a major influx of quality arms.  It will take a combination of trades -- which may or may not one of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo -- and free agent signings.

I'd rather not see something similar to the 90s where the team let Kevin Brown go and then later Mussina go without ever even coming close to replacing them -- much less improve upon the pitching.  Elias has had good luck trading for the likes of Bradish and Povich, but the O's had more to sell then as a losing team.  Now things are different.

I don't yet agree the O's have to trade one of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo -- or someone else of that caliber.  But it can't be written off either.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I posted this in the McDermott thread as well.  The overall WHIP this year doesn't tell the whole story.

McDermott has pitched parts of 6 months in AAA.  Here is the monthly WHIP breakdown,

August 23' 25.2 IP 1.05 WHIP

September 23' 12 IP 0.75 WHIP

March 24' 4.1 IP 1.38 WHIP

April 24' 17 IP 2.06 WHIP

May 24' 25.2 IP 1.25 WHIP

June 24' 23.1 IP 1.29 IP

That April 2024 WHIP really skews the numbers.  

That's good to know, but it's not just WHIP. Kremer was a little better at most things.

10 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

That's good to know, but it's not just WHIP. Kremer was a little better at most things.

Why is McDermott being lumped in with Kremer?  Whatever the pros/cons of Dean Kremer shouldn’t be lumped in with McDermott overall. 

The scary thing is that we might have to go a 6 man rotation again. So add McDermott and Kremer. Subtract Suarez. 

Also, the sky is not falling. We’ve lost 4 in a row. The sun will come up. Is the hysteria because people bet us?

Edited by sportsfan8703