Would the Orioles consider Trevor Bauer ?

It's pretty funny that we have people on here that are 100% willing to look past the 3+ assault allegations. You know, I'm not a fan of looking past these types of things, because there are enough of these jerks in MLB (see: Chapman, Ozuna, etc.). Lord knows these types of people have even held certain very high positions and people still look up to those folks like they're Christ. But I digress.

Why on Earth are these same people willing to look past:

• Harassing people on social media
  • Throwing teammates under the bus in print and interviews
  • Completely losing cool during games and having various theatrics (happened in Japan, w/ Cleveland, in Cincy, in Arizona)
  • Having his previous catcher routinely saying negative things about Bauer
  • His past manager, one of the classiest in the sports (Tito Francona), having pretty negative things to say about him (behind the scenes and in nuanced interviews)
  • Yelling at HOF players because he's not happy with their defense

And that's not even including all of the drama that will follow him *every single game* and having Rubenstein, the O's, and the team have to deal with it and potentially defend him.

Why? These same people complain about the downfall of society. Well, the downfall of society happens when we keep looking past things like this just because "yeehaw, he can throw a baseball gooder than others". Get over yourselves.

This is a young team with an amazing culture riding high. Tearing it down by bringing in that clown would be a beyond asinine move.

Edited by LookitsPuck
  • Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

In watching that video I just posted a lot of the players seemed pretty young.

I just looked him up on BBREF, he's 33 and they have him being 2.6 years older than the weighted average age.

Cano is listed as 10 years older at 41.

Pitchers and hitters are listed separately.

So looks like the average age is around 30 as BBRef measures it.

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

It's pretty funny that we have people on here that are 100% willing to look past the 3+ assault allegations. You know, I'm not a fan of looking past these types of things, because there are enough of these jerks in MLB (see: Chapman, Ozuna, etc.). Lord knows these types of people have even held certain very high positions and people still look up to those folks like they're Christ. But I digress.

• Completely losing cool during games and having various theatrics (happened in Japan, w/ Cleveland, in Cincy, in Arizona)
  • His past manager, one of the classiest in the sports (Tito Francona), having pretty negative things to say about him (behind the scenes and in nuanced interviews)

And that's not even including all of the drama that will follow him *every single game* and having Rubenstein, the O's, and the team have to deal with it and potentially defend him.

Why? These same people complain about the downfall of society. Well, the downfall of society happens when we keep looking past things like this just because "yeehaw, he can throw a baseball gooder than others". Get over yourselves.

You literally said it......"Allegations".

ALLEGATIONS.   What does that word mean to you?

Plus a lot of those things you mention above were when he was pretty young and immature.  Watch the video I just posted.  In no way does he seem any different than any other player.   In fact he seems pretty nice to his teammates who are mainly all Mexican players.

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You literally said it......"Allegations".

ALLEGATIONS.   What does that word mean to you?

Plus a lot of those things you mention above were when he was pretty young and immature.  Watch the video I just posted.  In no way does he seem any different than any other player.   In fact he seems pretty nice to his teammates who are mainly all Mexican players.

I'm not touching the allegations part of it. I explicitly spoke about other things for a reason.

The guy is putting on a show because he wants to be in the majors. He's a manipulative jackass, and has always been. There's a reason why all 30 teams don't want him. Players talk. Coaches talk. Executives talk. 

And let's stop playing the young/immature angle. This isn't an 18 year old. He's 33. Most of this drama has happened yearly. 

If any of us pulled this crap at our jobs, we'd rightfully be fired. 

Edited by LookitsPuck

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just looked him up on BBREF, he's 33 and have him being 2.6 years older than the weighted average age.

Can is listed as 10 years older at 41.

Pitchers and hitters are listed separately.

So looks like the average age is around 30 as BBRef measures it.

He is actually kinda funny.  He actually reminds me of Bryson DeChambeau in how scientific he is about pitching.  He analyzes everything haha.  Bryson is the exact same way. 

I am not saying he is going to be Andrew Miller, but imo he can help the O's a ton this year and next. 

9 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Here is a video he just released 2 days ago.  He goes into his pitching during a recent Mexican games and what he was having problems with and what was working and what wasn't.

Pretty interesting.    He can still sling it.    He has been up around 96 or 97 but was down to the low 90s this game.

Also.....he seems like a completely normal person and not this monster that some here think. 

I never said he was a monster.  I said he was a creepy self-promoter.   This video is just more of that.  To each his own.  I have no proof that he’s a monster or a guy who likes to beat up women.  These videos, to me, are proof that he’s creepy.  It’s all in the eye of the beholder.

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

The guy is putting on a show because he wants to be in the majors. He's a manipulative jackass, and has always been. There's a reason why all 30 teams don't want him. Players talk. Coaches talk. Executives talk. 

And let's stop playing the young/immature angle. This isn't an 18 year old. He's 33. Most of this drama has happened yearly. 

If any of his pulled this crap at our jobs, we'd rightfully be fired. 

For sure he is cocky.   But you know what?  In the thoughts of Donald J Trump haha.....I like my players to be cocky.   IMO it helps players perform better. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I never said he was a monster.  I said he was a creepy self-promoter.   This video is just more of that.  To each his own.  I have no proof that he’s a monster or a guy who likes to beat up women.  These videos, to me, are proof that he’s creepy.  It’s all in the eye of the beholder.

How old are you?  I don't ask that to be nosey or critical.  But as the above poster said, I think different generations think differently.

I really see nothing strange in how he acts.  In today's world of social media?   EVERYTHING is about self promotion.  My grandfather would have hated it haha.

9 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

This is a young team with an amazing culture riding high. Tearing it down by bringing in that clown would be a beyond asinine move.

If one guy can come in and ruin a culture, then our culture wasn’t good to begin with. 

People that want Bauer need to ask themselves the following:

• Aroldis Chapman is back in the league after a domestic violence incident
  • Marcell Ozuna back after domestic violence incident
  • Roberto Osuna was back in baseball after domestic violence incident

The list can go on: Odubel Herrera, Jeurys Familia, etc.

Why were they welcomed back over Bauer? I'll tell you. It's because there is a ton more under the covers and in the past w/ Trevor Bauer. Otherwise, some executive would have brought him back. There are quite a few owners/GMs that don't care about media perception. 

We don't need to be the one to bring back this cancer into the sport.

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

For sure he is cocky.   But you know what?  In the thoughts of Donald J Trump haha.....I like my players to be cocky.   IMO it helps players perform better. 

Do you consider, Gunnar, Witt Jr,  Yordany Alvarez, cocky?   Sure, some guys are more emotional and flamboyant than others no problem.  Most players don’t need the theatrics to be great.   There’s a difference between self-confidence and cocky.   You only need the first one to be great.  The second is for “look at me. I think I’m great.”

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

How old are you?  I don't ask that to be nosey or critical.  But as the above poster said, I think different generations think differently.

I really see nothing strange in how he acts.  In today's world of social media?   EVERYTHING is about self promotion.  My grandfather would have hated it haha.

64.  But I think I’m pretty progressive and open minded compared to my “older guy” peers.