In regards to guys like Pie and Penn....

Sports Guy

I don't care about ST performance.

These guys have shown a ton of ability in the minors. Both have been top prospects....

I don't see the situations as analogous.

1. Penn has been poor for 2+ years in the minors.

2. Penn had surgery in early 2007 and really has never looked the same as he did when he was a hot prospect.

3. As a pitcher, a poor start from Penn has huge impact on the outcome of the game. Very tough to win when your pitcher has a day like Penn had today. An 0 for 4 from one of 9 guys in your lineup has far less effect on the game.

4. Even on an 0 for 4 day, Pie can still have a positive impact with his defense (once he settles into LF).

5. Getting shelled, for a pitcher, hurts him psychologically and may prevent him from working on things he needs to work on, moreso than a failure at the plate affects a hitter. (My opinion here.)

Thus, the call on Pie is much easier than Penn. For Penn, I think you build his confidence by getting him some relief innings before sending him out and trying to get him to pitch well for 5-6 innings.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're willing to guarantee that?

Well if they aren't going to be replaced, we are going to be in a heck of a lot of trouble. Neither Penn nor Eaton should last past June in the rotation.

Otherwise our bullpen arms are going to be in sad shape...

Both will stink, but Eaton can at least log some innings. I don't think Trembley would have the patience to stick with Penn in a rough outing and would force the bullpen to log more innings. I can see him sticking out Eaton, just because of the way he's pitched this spring, getting shelled at first and settling down. He'd have a much quicker hook with Penn IMO.

If we want somebody Trembley is going to send out to get shelled and have some patience with, it's Eaton that should get the spot if it's a choice between the two.

I don't see the situations as analogous.

1. Penn has been poor for 2+ years in the minors.

2. Penn had surgery in early 2007 and really has never looked the same as he did when he was a hot prospect.

3. As a pitcher, a poor start from Penn has huge impact on the outcome of the game. Very tough to win when your pitcher has a day like Penn had today. An 0 for 4 from one of 9 guys in your lineup has far less effect on the game.

4. Even on an 0 for 4 day, Pie can still have a positive impact with his defense (once he settles into LF).

5. Getting shelled, for a pitcher, hurts him psychologically and may prevent him from working on things he needs to work on, moreso than a failure at the plate affects a hitter. (My opinion here.)

Thus, the call on Pie is much easier than Penn. For Penn, I think you build his confidence by getting him some relief innings before sending him out and trying to get him to pitch well for 5-6 innings.

I agree that they are different situations but the principles are still the same.

Young player with good upside who has struggled in their brief ML time...Poor team that is in a good position to give these types of players a chance.

I guess I'm an optimist at heart. I look at these two "issues" of Penn and Pie making the team over others as a good thing. Imagine how far we've come when we're not praying that both pan out. If Pie is a failure, Reimold is the next man up. If Penn is an utter disaster, the big 3 are waiting in the wings. But if they both pan out, well that's just great.

Are you just ignoring facts altogether now? He does NOT do that.

As I said, he'd log more innings under Trembley than Penn will.

DT will stick with his veterans, not so with guys like Penn. Eaton is the lesser of two evils when it comes to saving the bullpen. Trembley is more apt to go let him pitch batting practice for 6 innings, rather than Penn IMO...

Well if they aren't going to be replaced, we are going to be in a heck of a lot of trouble. Neither Penn nor Eaton should last past June in the rotation.

Otherwise our bullpen arms are going to be in sad shape...

Both will stink, but Eaton can at least log some innings. I don't think Trembley would have the patience to stick with Penn in a rough outing and would force the bullpen to log more innings. I can see him sticking out Eaton, just because of the way he's pitched this spring, getting shelled at first and settling down. He'd have a much quicker hook with Penn IMO.

If we want somebody Trembley is going to send out to get shelled and have some patience with, it's Eaton that should get the spot if it's a choice between the two.

We don't Penn to "eat innings" if he is in the bullpen.

As I said, he'd log more innings under Trembley than Penn will.

DT will stick with his veterans, not so with guys like Penn. Eaton is the lesser of two evils when it comes to saving the bullpen. Trembley is more apt to go let him pitch batting practice for 6 innings, rather than Penn IMO...

Penn has the chance to get better. On a team that needs as much talent as possible, why is it such a terrible idea to have the "problem" of a pitching-well Hayden Penn as we're trying to develop younger pitchers?

And why are you so scared of the young guys that you are willing to bend forward over the table to pay for old guys who could easily decline or weren't much good in the first place?

This is the exact kind of team that can afford to take that chance.

We don't Penn to "eat innings" if he is in the bullpen.

And how do we know he'll be good in the bullpen?

Penn is only valuable to this team as a starter. We've got better bullpen arms that should make the team over him.

If Penn can't start, he's of no use to us and his roster spot is too valuable to see if he can become a reliever. I'd rather have the extra bench player than Penn.

And how do we know he'll be good in the bullpen?

Penn is only valuable to this team as a starter. We've got better bullpen arms that should make the team over him.

If Penn can't start, he's of no use to us and his roster spot is too valuable to see if he can become a reliever. I'd rather have the extra bench player than Penn.

LOL...This is just amazingly poor but whatever...it is becoming the norm for you I guess.

Good to see you have adopted the Syd Thrift way of doing things.

BTW, you put him in the pen and give him a chance to see if he is good out there...That is how that works...Its called oppurtunity.

Archived