Why Pie now?

wildcard

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your argument is just getting foolish.

Go to his player page...Then look at his game logs...After that, with a straight face, you tell me that his ML appearances should carry a lot of weight.

I'm not going to be drawn into an argument. You, and many others have your opinion. I have mine. We'll see who's right at the end of the year.

I'm not going to be drawn into an argument. You, and many others have your opinion. I have mine. We'll see who's right at the end of the year.

You're demonstrating further that you don't get it. If its the case at the end of the year that he is "bad" it will still be the case that it was the right move to give him the starting job.

Well, regardless of who's right, the only way we'll know by the end of the year is because they're gonna let him play alot. If we jerked him around like the Cubs, instead of just putting him out there to see, then we likely wouldn't know anything more than we know right now. By doing what they're gonna do, plus having him work with Crow, that's what will enable us to find out. Personally, I don't expect him to set the world on fire, but I do think the combination of playing a lot plus working with Crowley will permit us to see. Right now, nobody knows... and that includes both you and me. Maybe you think you know, but you don't. Nobody does.

You're demonstrating further that you don't get it. If its the case at the end of the year that he is "bad" it will still be the case that it was the right move to give him the starting job.

Like I said above, I'm not here to argue. You have a different opinion and that's fine.

But I am a geezer, and in my old age I've seen things before that determine my judgement today. It doesn't matter to me if it's Pie or anyone else. If a ML hitter can't judge the strike zone, they probably won't make it.

But look at the good side. The pitching staff is awesome.............................................in a year or so.

See who's right?

Right about what?

We are saying Pie should be given a real chance...Steady playing time.

No one has said he is going to be a stud....No one has talked about numbers.

We are saying he should be given a real chance.

Well, if you've waited this long you can hang on for another year.

I wanted to compete 5 years ago but pounding sand got old.

The worst has to be behind us.

Like The Brooklyn Dodgers, "wait till next year".

I think the worst is behind us and I expect the next 3 to 5 years to be great. Hopefully by that time this thread will be a long lost memory as the Big 3 hold up the WS Trophy.

Sorry folks, but I'm really starting to get irked at our writing off this season before it starts. I WANT TO COMPETE.

Starting Pie over Scott, Wiggington, Montanez, Reimold and maybe even Freel is bothersome. I know all about his potential and needing a chance, but why not put him on the bench (or minimal duty) until we are eliminated/July and then let him get his experimental at bats? And please stop comparing this situation to Adam Jones - we had nobody else to play his position.

If I'm a veteran, giving this kid a shot he hasn't earned would really tick me off. I'll bet Trembley is grinding his teeth.

I'll bet Felix is a great kid, but sadly I find myself already rooting against him.

Well, I understand the sentiment. I really, really do. The current run of non-winning seasons got old years ago, but I absolutely understand the decision.

If we give Pie a shot, we have another solid piece on our way back to respectability. If he doesn't produce, it was worth giving him the opportunity until our pitching staff grows up.

The rest of the line-up is strong enough to carry Pie if he scuffles early. In or to contend, the O's need some pitchers that aren't quite ready.

I would also contend, that if our staff performs beyond our wildest expectations and the team starts strong, Pie will have less time to learn on the job. I think the Birds will be patient, but I don't think he has a free pass.

-Don

Let's go with this scenario:

The Orioles decide they want to compete in 2010.

Pie has struggled all year and has a .700-.710 OPS.

Nolan Reimold was called up in September and had a .850+ OPS in his Sept ABs. Luis Montanez also has a .825+ OPS when he's called up in Sept.

Do you keep Pie in LF or do you release Pie before 2010? I would hope the answer would be obvious and nobody would have a problem kicking Pie to the curb in that situation.

Let's go with this scenario.

Nolan Reimold was called up in September and had a .850+ OPS in his Sept ABs. Luis Montanez also has a .825+ OPS when he's called up in Sept.

Do you keep Pie in LF or do you release Pie before 2010? I would hope the answer would be obvious.

Ok, I'll bite, what in the world does this have to do with April 2009?

Let's go with this scenario.

Do you keep Pie in LF or do you release Pie before 2010? I would hope the answer would be obvious and nobody would have a problem kicking Pie to the curb in that situation.

700-710 OPS...With very good defense?

If so, that's fine.

I give Reimold the DH spot and occasional OF start....Montanez is your 4th or 5th OFer...Pie starts.

700-710 OPS...With very good defense?

If so, that's fine.

I give Reimold the DH spot and occasional OF start....Montanez is your 4th or 5th OFer...Pie starts.

And can the team afford 2 defensive players, Itzuris and Pie, while they lose Mora and Huff? I know. It's hypothetical.

And can the team afford 2 defensive players, Itzuris and Pie, while they lose Mora and Huff? I know. It's hypothetical.

Sure...Preventing runs is more important than scoring them.

Mora and Huff are replaceable...easily IMO...In fact, Reimold will replace Huff.

I haven't read the entire thread, but the conversation appears to be centered a lot around Pie. Competing now has nothing to do with who is on this team now. Especially Pie. If you wanted to compete now, you needed to have done the job this offseason to allow for that. Signing Burnett, perhaps trading for Vazquez, or Scott Olsen. I was complaining about 2009 and perhaps 2010 being written off 3 months ago. I've gotten over it. This season will be about individuals. Hopefully we'll see the Big 3 plus later this year or 2010 may start to fade as well.

Archived