Why Pie now?

wildcard

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:laughlol: That cracks me up. Reimold can replace Huff but not Pie. Too much.

You just don't get it.

Reimold should be on the team right now...we should have dealt Scott but that didn't happen.

You do realize that Pie and Reimold can be on the same team at the same time, right?

Jtrea doesn't seem to understand this...Tell me you do.

You just don't get it.

Reimold should be on the team right now...we should have dealt Scott but that didn't happen.

You do realize that Pie and Reimold can be on the same team at the same time, right?

Jtrea doesn't seem to understand this...Tell me you do.

I agree Reimold should be on this team. I also agree Scott or Montanez should have been dealt for a starter. Or maybe Reimold. Actually any of the four, Pie, Reimold, Montanez, or Scott, in a package deal if neccesary. Right now there's a logjam in left, and the guy who has "tools", has the inside track.

Pie and Reimold can be on the same Roster if the surplus is cleared somewhat, or, Reimold can learn the footwork to play First.

In 1989 the O's called up a toolsy 24 year old (please note the age) outfielder who hit a whopping .249/.298/.318 in 217 ABs. The next year he hit .256/.304/.328 in 464 ABs. Figuring we had enough talented OF'ers, the O's included this soon to be 26 year old who had hit a combined 5 HRs in his previous 2 years in one of the most lopsided trades in ML history.

Now, Felix Pie may never jack 40 homers while stealing 20 bases in a season like Steve Finley... but the way this place explodes whenever Jason Wyerth hits a homerun makes me believe that there will be a lot of people on this board that will be PO'd if the O's let him go and he has a respectable career elsewhere - including those who want him sitting on the bench or released after a few AB's in his first spring training with the club.

Give the kid a chance to show he can develop here - not in another ML town... please!

I agree Reimold should be on this team. I also agree Scott or Montanez should have been dealt for a starter. Or maybe Reimold. Actually any of the four, Pie, Reimold, Montanez, or Scott, in a package deal if neccesary. Right now there's a logjam in left, and the guy who has "tools", has the inside track.

Pie and Reimold can be on the same Roster if the surplus is cleared somewhat, or, Reimold can learn the footwork to play First.

Montanez has ZERO trade value...You are vastly overrating him.

Again, it doesn't matter who is playing left field for us...Ted Williams could be out there, and we wouldn't all of a sudden "compete now"...our rotation is god awful, one of the worst in baseball...and that is what is going to lose us games...scoring runs will NOT be an issue for this club, but as the Rangers proved last year, it doesn't matter how good your offense is if you can't pitch. SO STOP WITH THESE THREADS...IT'S USELESS!

Until our pitching staff improves, we are destined to fail.

Regarding my original post and wanting to compete now, I get what you guys are all saying (predictable I might add), but my point is this: It's okay to give Pie 300 at bats this season, just do it in July through September! He can pinch run and defensively replace for the first couple months. Who knows, maybe we're hovering around .500 in late June and we bring up the pitching cavalry.

You're demonstrating further that you don't get it. If its the case at the end of the year that he is "bad" it will still be the case that it was the right move to give him the starting job.

This is not inherently correct. It's only correct if you think he's going to be good. That's the situation with every prospect, obviously. The only reason to give Pie time to learn is if you believe that he will be able to learn, adjust and succeed. It's not good enough to have little idea about his ability. Ignorance cannot be sufficient justification to put a guy on the roster everyday. Now, I agree with you that he should be on the team playing everyday, but that's only because I think he's going to be good.

I'll give Satyr this, he's got his own assessment, based on his own eyes. I respect that. What he's doing is no different than what talent evaluators do all the time. His position that you don't play him because he isn't good is perfectly valid.

If at the end of the year, Pie is not doing well, then yes, it will have been a mistake. It'll be a mistake because the talent evaluators didn't know what Pie was capable of. If the coaching staff and scouts knew, definitively knew that Pie was not going to succeed, then he wouldn't have been traded for. This process, though, of evaluating stats and watching live to determine who has a good shot of success is no different than what happens with every single player trying to make the bigs. There are many reasons to think Pie will be a success, and completely fine for fans to advocate giving him a shot. The people who get paid to run teams need more than just "let's see what he can do, because we're not really sure." At the least, they need to be confident that a player will succeed.

Pie has had 1,241 PAs at the AAA level over 3 years starting at age 21, and he hit a combined .300/.350/.478 during that time. Sending him back to the minors is just an awful idea at this point - he has clearly mastered that level and he needs to be challenged in MLB if we want him to improve at all.

Pie has had 1,241 PAs at the AAA level over 3 years starting at age 21, and he hit a combined .300/.350/.478 during that time. Sending him back to the minors is just an awful idea at this point - he has clearly mastered that level and he needs to be challenged in MLB if we want him to improve at all.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Pie should be sent to the minors in this thread. He is out of options anyway. The question was should he start everyday or spend sometime working on his defensive transition to left field and work with Crowley on this hitting.

In 1989 the O's called up a toolsy 24 year old (please note the age) outfielder who hit a whopping .249/.298/.318 in 217 ABs. The next year he hit .256/.304/.328 in 464 ABs. Figuring we had enough talented OF'ers, the O's included this soon to be 26 year old who had hit a combined 5 HRs in his previous 2 years in one of the most lopsided trades in ML history.

Now, Felix Pie may never jack 40 homers while stealing 20 bases in a season like Steve Finley... but the way this place explodes whenever Jason Wyerth hits a homerun makes me believe that there will be a lot of people on this board that will be PO'd if the O's let him go and he has a respectable career elsewhere - including those who want him sitting on the bench or released after a few AB's in his first spring training with the club.

Give the kid a chance to show he can develop here - not in another ML town... please!

I sort of agree with you but the same can be said of Montanez or even Reimold. The Orioles seem to be a notorious bad judge of what talent to trade or retain. Examples of this are easily found such as Jack Cust, John Maine, Willie Harris, and Jason Wyerth.

I sort of agree with you but the same can be said of Montanez or even Reimold. The Orioles seem to be a notorious bad judge of what talent to trade or retain. Examples of this are easily found such as Jack Cust, John Maine, Willie Harris, and Jason Wyerth.

The OLD regime has been notorious about this. AM & friends weren't responsible for those moves and shouldn't be held accountable for them.

The fact is that AM is handling the Pie, Reimold & Montanez situation in a manner designed to insure the O's don't have to make a judgment about their talent without enough information. All three will be playing at a level this season that they haven't mastered. All three will be playing full time. All three will have the chance to prove they belong with the O's.

Archived