Why Pie now?

wildcard

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To whoever said something about the weather in Camden Yards being a factor, you do realize that Pie played a bit at Wrigley Field which features strange wind patterns, 30,000 obnoxious fans, cold, and everything else that could happen in Baltimore...it's not like he was playing in San Diego or playing in a dome before coming here.

Pie played CF in Wrigley. He was not learning a new position. If he would have been playing LF poorly he would have been treated worse then he was by the Cubs fans.

Pie played CF in Wrigley. He was not learning a new position. If he would have been playing LF poorly he would have been treated worse then he was by the Cubs fans.
Every good CF can play LF.

Every. Single. One.

There may be a very slight adjustment period, but every single MLB CF could easily slide to LF. LF is much easier than CF. Pie will not only be fine defensively, but he'll most likely be excellent out there.

Weren't people doing this same thing with Jones last year?

He had a few errors out in CF down in Ft. Lauderdale, and boom, let's release him.

Relax, it's Spring Training.

You are the first person to bring up releasing anyone. So who is over reacting now?

Weren't people doing this same thing with Jones last year?

He had a few errors out in CF down in Ft. Lauderdale, and boom, let's release him.

Relax, it's Spring Training.

Jones was hitting better than Pie in ST. It's the combination of his struggling at the plate and in the field that has people questioning him.

You are the first person to bring up releasing anyone. So who is over reacting now?
Obviously that's hyperbole.

But benching Pie as an idea is closer in merit to releasing him is as an idea than it is to being a good idea.

Jones was hitting better than Pie in ST though. It's the combination of his struggling at the plate and in the field that has people questioning him.
Anybody questioning his fielding is just piling on. Struggling with the wind and sun in Ft. Lauderdale does not, in any possible interpretation, mean that a player is struggling defensively. He's going to be fine in the field. Let's see if he can hit and judge him based on that.

An excerpt from a MLB.com story on the Mets Nick Evans having to play RF, a position he hasn't played and having to play it in Ft Lauderdale, "where the winds terrorize experienced outfielders".

Ya think the weather is having something to do with Pie's poor showing defensively this spring?

Probably something to do with it. Look if he goes to Camden and plays even adequately then he should play. But if not, give the guy some time to learn the position before he is through into the deep end of the pool.

Probably something to do with it. Look if he goes to Camden and plays even adequately then he should play. But if not, give the guy some time to learn the position before he is through into the deep end of the pool.
Putting him in Lf isn't "throwing him into the deep end of the pool".

It's like splashing him with some water from the kiddie pool.

Worrying about his defense is pointless. I'm as worried about Markakis' defense as I am about Pie's.

Anybody questioning his fielding is just piling on. Struggling with the wind and sun in Ft. Lauderdale does not, in any possible interpretation, mean that a player is struggling defensively. He's going to be fine in the field. Let's see if he can hit and judge him based on that.

Well right now he can't seem to do either...

Jones hit .324 last ST with a .529 SLG and Pie is hitting .184 with a .263 SLG.

Big difference. I'd be willing to overlook the defense if he was hitting, but then again, Reimold and Montanez have both out-performed him defensively. How come they haven't struggled with the wind and sun as much as he has?

Every good CF can play LF.

Every. Single. One.

There may be a very slight adjustment period, but every single MLB CF could easily slide to LF. LF is much easier than CF. Pie will not only be fine defensively, but he'll most likely be excellent out there.

Actually, some center fielders have a problem playinf the corners. I didn't say Pie will never learn to play left. I said give him a chance to learn it before he digs himself into a hole.

Well right now he can't seem to do either...

Jones hit .324 last ST with a .529 SLG and Pie is hitting .184 with a .263 SLG.

Big difference. I'd be willing to overlook the defense if he was hitting, but then again, Reimold and Montanez have both out-performed him defensively. How come they haven't struggled with the wind and sun as much as he has?

Overlook what defense?

He's orders of magnitude better at LF than Reimold and Montanez.

Be skeptical about his bat, that's fine. He's never hit well in the majors and he's struggled this spring.

But stop talking about his defense - he's gonna be fine out there without question.

I think some of you guys really need to come down here for a few games. The wind is just awful. It blows hard, then soft, then hard. It blows straight in from center then directly across from right to left then directly across from left to right. It will do all these changes in a matter of minutes sometimes. There are bleachers down the left field line that stop about twenty feet from the outfield fence so the air currents get even more screwed up. There is no second deck in the outfield area to block the wind, but it does funnel a bit around the deck around the infield. We're less than a quarter mile from where corporate jets are taking off and landing which I'm sure can do some funny things with the airflow too. You just can't understand how nasty it is to play LF for the first time down here. This is truly trial by fire defensively. I see at least a couple outfield goofs in every game while I'm here.

Yesterday, Pie cut off three hard shots right down the third base line before they hit the fence. He held two guys to singles and would have thrown out the other guy at 2nd if he throw wasn't off line by about 8 feet (nice arm though). All three of those balls would have been easy doubles with Luke in left (and I'm a Luke fan). This guy is going to seriously help the outfield defense. Just relax.

Regarding his hitting, Pie is in the middle of a transition. You can just see it when you watch him. He is trying to let the ball get deeper. He is trying to identify the pitch. It is a work in progress. I haven't seen him flail once since I've been here which is what the book was on him. He has had a lot of good at bats IMO. The results just aren't there yet.

I think we should be patient with this guy. He truly is working on new things down here. His attitude looks great to me. He just keeps plugging away and his hustles like crazy everywhere. I'll post more in my impressions thread.

In the meantime, patience is a virtue.

Best news I have heard on Pie. Thanks for the report. You are doing some great reporting down there. Hope you are have a great time.

Yes, Pie deserves an extended look in the OF. But why now? He is not adjusted to LF and he is not hitting. Whether he will hit or not is a question but with practice he should be able to play a good if not great leftfield.

So put Scott in LF, Wiggy at DH/1B and Pie on the bench for two months. Hit him a million balls over that period and work on his fielding. Then when he is ready put Pie in LF. Then the O's have a great fielding LFer who is trying to prove he can hit. Right now Pie is struggle at the plate and in the field.

Put him on the bench for two months. Wow that will really help. I don't understand all the anti Pie posts. He can't get better unless he plays. He didn't get enough chances with the Cubs. You really can't get a good read on a player in ST. IMO

Archived