Why Pie now?

wildcard

I think we already know the answer to this question, but I have no problem wasting a year to find out for sure.

I knew this had to be you Dipper. Even before i read who posted it. That is okay Dipper, you have a right to your opinion. Even if I disagree.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put him on the bench for two months. Wow that will really help. I don't understand all the anti Pie posts. He can't get better unless he plays. He didn't get enough chances with the Cubs. You really can't get a good read on a player in ST. IMO

I am not anti Pie. Besides Vatech just gave a great report on Pie. He is there at the games. There is not arguing with what he said.

Put him on the bench for two months. Wow that will really help. I don't understand all the anti Pie posts. He can't get better unless he plays. He didn't get enough chances with the Cubs. You really can't get a good read on a player in ST. IMO

Exactly. We have the luxury of running him out there more or less full time for the first 3-4 months of the season because we know we're not going to compete this year. Putting him on our bench and giving him 4th outfield duties and putting Luke out in left is a move that the pre-AM Orioles would have made, to try to win maybe 1-2 more games.

The reason we have our best starter in Jeremy Guthrie was because we had room on the roster (and starts, eventually) for him when other teams didn't.

Best news I have heard on Pie. Thanks for the report. You are doing some great reporting down there. Hope you are have a great time.

What he said. I wish I could convince my family that a week of attending spring training games would be a great vacation. Actually, this year my kids don't have spring break until the week of Opening Day, so it's a moot point.

By this logic Hill should be in the starting rotation right now. He has more talent then an of the other 3-5 candidates. With your logic, who cares if he is not ready, the major league mound is the best place to play.

Hill and Pie are alike in the fact that neither is ready to be full time major league players at this point. Hill needs to work on his control and stretch out. Pie will benefit from practice time in the field and extra hitting instruction from Crowley. Crowley will help Pie in time if he has the talent.

Just throwing either of these players out there when they are not ready to succeed is not a very good solution. Work with them, get them ready mentally and physical to perform at their peak, then give them extended chances to succeed.

Right now all either player will do is dig a deep hole that they have to overcome to succeed. I say give them the time they need to improve before you throw them out there.

Come on now. Hill is injured. He will start the season on the DL. You are just reaching for any excuse to say or thnk Pie is not worth a spot on the etam. Sorry, but some of the excuses you have some up with of jsut silly.

To all of you who quoted me and killed me for not giving Pie a chance, please go back and read the second half of the sentence where I said I have no problem giving him a chance this year. Just because I don't think he's the second coming that a lot of you do doesn't mean I won't give him a chance. I stand by my OPINION that Reimold should be the one getting this chance and that Olson should be in our rotation to give HIM a chance, but that trade is water under the bridge, so we gotta see what Pie can do....which I am of the OPINION won't be much.

You didn't exactly put it that way. You said you ahd no problem wasting a year on him. And to me that was kind of an under handed insult of Pie.

Come on now. Hill is injured. He will start the season on the DL. You are just reaching for any excuse to say or thnk Pie is not worth a spot on the etam. Sorry, but some of the excuses you have some up with of jsut silly.
Why are you making stuff up, Tx? That's a complete mischaracterization of wc's position.

You didn't exactly put it that way. You said you ahd no problem wasting a year on him. And to me that was kind of an under handed insult of Pie.

Two things...

1) It most certainly WAS an underhanded insult, as he has shown NOTHING to give him kudos for...yet.

2) I have said I don't like the trade but am willing to give him a chance and hope to hell I am proven wrong.

I'm just stating my opinion, just like everyone else. And my opinion is just because someone was touted as a great prospect doesn't make said person a great major leaguer. But, the trade has been made, so give the guy a chance. But unlike some of you, I am not willing to watch him bat .190 for a whole season when we have THREE other guys who can play left in Scott, Montanez, and Reimold. If Pie shows no improvement by the AS Break, I think the experiment should be over.

People saying he hasn't earned a chance to play here are being ridiculous.

His MiL numbers are enough to have proven he deserves that chance.

The amount of credibility people are putting into 40 at bats in ST, where he is making adjustments across the board, is absurd.

Let's go over a slightly important point again:

THE ORIOLES SUCK!

We are the PERFECT team to give him a chance.

People saying he hasn't earned a chance to play here are being ridiculous.

His MiL numbers are enough to have proven he deserves that chance.

The amount of credibility people are putting into 40 at bats in ST, where he is making adjustments across the board, is absurd.

THE ORIOLES SUCK!

Brett Meyers said it best on XM yesterday, he said when he came up, he had the perfect opportunity because the team was bad, so he could come up and learn, with no pressure.

Like SG said we are the perfect team for him to get a real shot with, and for the record, when we acquired him, we got him to go out for an extended shot in real games, not spring training. We aren't a competing team, so this isn't a situation where if he doesn't do well in ST he's done, he is going to get a nice LONG look in the regular season, and if he can't cut it in 300+ AB, then we can reevaluate. Everyone needs to temper these expectations that if someone hits .100 in ST they are going to be awful in the reg. season, and if they hit 10 HR in ST they are going to be the best hitter. If I need to explain anymore look up Scott Hairston's numbers the last 2 ST and tell me how his regular season went.

The controversy about Pie may only grow, because more people are soon going to see this guy play. He’ll be on TV most everyday in about two weeks. If he doesn’t come out of the gate, showing some reason why he is a top rated prospect, oh my. Pie’s competition, Montanez and Riemold are headed for Harbor Park, so far a real tough place for hitter’s to put up big AAA numbers. Ask Scott Moore, Jon Knott or Jason Dubose. So, Pie should have several months to let us see what he can do with no competition to slow him down.

THE ORIOLES SUCK!

I'm in favor of giving Pie his shot, but just for fun, here's the counterargument. We DON'T suck offensively. We DON'T suck in left field now. We DON'T suck in having a lack of other prospects for left field. So in fact, if Pie doesn't perform, we will SUCK worse, and we will have denied playing time to players who might have been more help to us in the future than Pie.

In that sense, the argument for putting Penn in the rotation is better than the argument for putting Pie in LF. (Even though, for reasons I gave in other threads, I think the case for Pie getting the LF spot is better than the case for giving Penn a rotation spot right now.)

Embrassing yourself in front of 30,000 booing fans is not the way to build confidence. Going into full houses in the new Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park and having them laugh and jeer at your poor play is not the way to learn. That is what Pie is in for if he does not improve his fielding before he is sent out there.

Just curious, but how is benching him and hitting him a lot of balls in the outfield going to get him mentally prepared to handle this situation. If you've ever played high level competitive baseball, you would know that there is a world's difference from practice and game situations. Not to mention the negative impact that benching Pie would have on the development of his bat.

Fact is, Pie is highly regarded as a fielder by most scouts, and he needs a little time to adjust to a new position. Unfortunately for him, he can't adjust at the minor league level. Fortunately for us, we aren't competing and are the perfect team to give him a year of full time play to see if he turns it around.

Benching Pie at this point is not the best thing for him or for the organization.

I'm in favor of giving Pie his shot, but just for fun, here's the counterargument. We DON'T suck offensively. We DON'T suck in left field now. We DON'T suck in having a lack of other prospects for left field. So in fact, if Pie doesn't perform, we will SUCK worse, and we will have denied playing time to players who might have been more help to us in the future than Pie.

In that sense, the argument for putting Penn in the rotation is better than the argument for putting Pie in LF. (Even though, for reasons I gave in other threads, I think the case for Pie getting the LF spot is better than the case for giving Penn a rotation spot right now.)

Just in that sense. The scales are heavily weighted in Pie's favor as far as likelihood of performing at an acceptable level in the majors. Pie's weighted mean PECOTA forecast is two wins over replacement, or around league average in nearly full-time play. You have to get in the 90% range of Penn's forecast to get average production in 90 innings. The track record of guys who pitched well, then got hurt in their early 20s, then returned to pitch poorly is not good.

Pie's best PECOTA comp is Carlos Beltran, at #3. Penn's is Jerry Udjur, at #9. Or maybe Marty Clary at #10.

Oh, actually Taylor Buchholz is also on his comps... so he'd probably be the most optimistic case.

Archived