Cabrera as the Anit-Maddux (Kurkjian)

tvz1997

Hey. There is a pretty good article by Timmy Kurkjian on ESPN.com about this being our first Madduxless season in the MLB and how Daniel Cabrera is the anti-Maddux: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=3994136

Highlights:

"Last season," said Padres general manager Kevin Towers, who hired Maddux as a special instructor this spring, "Greg did something special in every ballpark, knowing it might be the last time he ever pitched there. At Wrigley Field, he was throwing in the bullpen on an off day. He said he was going to throw a ball off a chair in the bullpen, ricochet it off the brick wall and make it go over the plate. The second time he tried it, he hit the leg of a metal chair, the ball bounced off the wall and ricocheted right over the plate."

"Let's hope [Cabrera] can [find himself]. But pitchers who can't hit, can't field their position, can't throw strikes, can't hold runners and can't concentrate at the age of 27 usually don't find it at 30. That "feel" for pitching is innate; it's something Maddux had in high school and had the day he threw his final pitch in the major leagues. We're going to miss him. In the meantime, young pitchers, including Cabrera, will struggle to develop even a little of what Maddux had."

I'm not a big fan of ESPN, but Kurkjian is the man.

Daniel Cabrera is really an interesting guy, I think. At times, other teams have raved about his stuff. But that's all he has, and he can't control it worth a damn. Maybe his fastball, but everything else he can't repeat.

I respect Tim's opinion, but I wonder about the "pitching is innate" stuff. If someone will just Cabrera to the pen, he could be dominant. It really is that time for him.

I respect Tim's opinion, but I wonder about the "pitching is innate" stuff. If someone will just Cabrera to the pen, he could be dominant. It really is that time for him.

It's absolutely true.

CaBBrera just doesn't have it. You can't just stick him in the pen and hope his control improves overnight....his problems are much more deeper than that.

It's absolutely true.

CaBBrera just doesn't have it. You can't just stick him in the pen and hope his control improves overnight....his problems are much more deeper than that.

Very true.

It still amazes me that people think putting him in the bullpen 'is the answer'. He's continued to regress year after year despite having arguably three of the best pitching coaches in the game, he's creeping ever-closer to 30 and now, his blazing fastball isn't so blazing.

Putting him in an even more high pressure roll that requires him to pitch 3 to 4 times a week like being a setup man or a closer isn't going to help him any.

Very true.

It still amazes me that people think putting him in the bullpen 'is the answer'. He's continued to regress year after year despite having arguably three of the best pitching coaches in the game, he's creeping ever-closer to 30 and now, his blazing fastball isn't so blazing.

Putting him in an even more high pressure roll that requires him to pitch 3 to 4 times a week like being a setup man or a closer isn't going to help him any.

Exactly.

Like you want to put a guy with his control issues in a high pressure situation with men on base.

Exactly.

Like you want to put a guy with his control issues in a high pressure situation with men on base.

I agree with your opinion that making a RP out of him is an iffy idea.

However, the guy was actually very good at getting out of jams. Really, he was. He probably got out of more jams than all the other O's pitchers put together. He was just in them all the time. But being in a jam didn't phase him. I don't know why people think it did. It didn't. Now, if the ump started not giving him calls, or if somebody screwed up behind him, then he'd get tight and start messing up. But guys on base, not at all. He was very used to that.

He got out of jams the other day in the ST game. I forget the details, but he had guys all over the bases, but just gave up 1 measly run, maybe 2. Less than he should have, which is pretty normal for him.

Archived