Renamed Wow Simon

wildcard

Be careful. This could be Jeremy Guthrie part II. Guy with great arm has terrible numbers in the minors, has great spring with O's, and winds up in the rotation. Guthrie posted decent numbers in AAA the year before the O's aquired him. This guy apparently posted decent numbers in Mexico and the Dominican Winter League. All logic says to discount this guy but I watched him tonight and he looked pretty good. The O's have nothing to lose by putting Simon in the rotation. Worst thing he can do is stink. Big deal. We already have a couple of those guys.

Guthrie had a much better pedigree.

And yes, I know it won't matter if he sucks...I would still rather give his starts to Penn but whatever....I do agree it doesn't matter but people are still putting too much weight in this start.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, 6 good ST innings trumps a career 5.06 pro ERA with poor peripherals?

I have no issue with Simon making the team and as has been said in this thread, it really doesn't matter who makes the rotation.

But I find it hilarious that people are putting so much weight on such a small sample size.

He has never been good and is about to be 28..not that he is old but he is pretty much too old to think he can turn around his whole career(not that it cant happen..just not likely).

I think he may have a chance at being good out of the pen but still, this Simon love affair is a bit much.

It is really not a love affair, but every time, with the exception of Bass, some one has been given an invitation to the rotation they have almost with out fail thrown in right back. I still believe BB will be up in mid April when the 5th spot is a regular need so why not give Simon and Bass shots until Hill get's healthy (if). Stranger things have happened. However you are right, his minor league numbers are ugly.

First of all, I think most people were taking into account Simon's performance throughout ST, not just that last game. Second of all - yes, Simon has poor peripherals, and the projections don't help him (CHONE has him at 4.74 K/9 and 3.43 BB/9). My response to that, though, is that he isn't that much worse than our other options, and in addition has more upside than some of our other candidates (all CHONE projections):

Eaton = 5.40 K/9, 3.68 BB/9

Penn = 5.46 K/9, 3.54 BB/9

Bass and Hendrickson are projected as full time relievers, but I doubt they would be much better than this.

And I think you are kidding yourself if you think people would be supporting him in the rotation if he went 3 IP and gave up 6 runs tonight.

And I totally disagree that he has more upside than Penn.

Guthrie had a much better pedigree.

And yes, I know it won't matter if he sucks...I would still rather give his starts to Penn but whatever....I do agree it doesn't matter but people are still putting too much weight in this start.

It's likely that the two people putting too much weight in this start are the only ones that matter--AM & DT--this is why many here think tonight sealed up a spot for him in the rotation to start the year. I haven't seen anyone say they expect him to be any "good" for us based on this start.

Did you watch the game?

I'm guessing not, so you really aren't qualified to speak on what has people excited. It isn't the "6 ST innings"; it's the 95 mph fastball; the good change; the "splitter"; and a good curve. It was the performance, not the statistics.

IT WAS STILL ONE GAME!!!

I don't care if he threw 25 pitches at 100 MPH...It still doesn;t trump a career of garbage stats.

If you want to talk about unqualified, it is someone who rates ST over a career.

It is really not a love affair, but every time, with the exception of Bass, some one has been given an invitation to the rotation they have almost with out fail thrown in right back. I still believe BB will be up in mid April when the 5th spot is a regular need so why not give Simon and Bass shots until Hill get's healthy (if). Stranger things have happened. However you are right, his minor league numbers are ugly.

Yea...Hopefully by mid to late April, BB and Hill are in the rotation with Uehera and Guthrie....A revolving door at the 5th spot for a while will likely happen.

That's exactly what the Orioles are doing. Maybe they know something we don't.
I think the Orioles are saying the same thing the rest of us are...Who really cares right now?

Frobby said it best earlier...He said he was more concerned with who makes the team vs who is in the rotation..he is right.

The latest from Roch:

Orioles manager Dave Trembley isn't ready to place Alfredo Simon in the rotation. I tried to get a firm commitment from him. So did Peter Schmuck. But Trembley wasn't biting.

I think he appreciated the effort, though.

"I'm not going to tell you that," Trembley said. "He pitched good. He got our attention.

"He used all his pitches, challenged people, went right at them."

So we know just as much as we did before this note from Roch. Obviously DT isn't going to make a commitment with Penn yet to pitch tomorrow. That wouldn't make any sense.

Maybe the Orioles can get lucky and Simon gives them what Willis Roberts did in 2001.

If the Orioles can get 5.2 IP and a 5-5.5 ERA out of Simon for a few months, that will be fine.

That's the idea, I think.

There's no denying that Simon - when he's mechanically sound - has some of the best stuff among the candidates. He was solidly at 93-96 tonight (on the Mets gun, which might have been slow, as it had Perez at 86-88) and his splitter was dynamite.

Particularly that pitch he pulled a string on against Reyes.

There's nothing to really make you think he's going to deviate from his norm (poor numbers/poor peripherals) but the O's obviously see something there.

And he looked very good tonight. So, hey, what's wrong with a little irrational hope?

Yea...Hopefully by mid to late April, BB and Hill are in the rotation with Uehera and Guthrie....A revolving door at the 5th spot for a while will likely happen.

I really do not have a problem, with the revolving door, as long as it is not BB or Hill they are fooling with. Put them in there and let them have a serious run at it. I for one, would stick Penn in there and make him prove that he is not a MLB pitcher. Unless he steps up tomorrow, I do not think that will happen.

That's the idea, I think.

There's no denying that Simon - when he's mechanically sound - has some of the best stuff among the candidates. He was solidly at 93-96 tonight (on the Mets gun, which might have been slow, as it had Perez at 86-88) and his splitter was dynamite.

Particularly that pitch he pulled a string on against Reyes.

There's nothing to really make you think he's going to deviate from his norm (poor numbers/poor peripherals) but the O's obviously see something there.

And he looked very good tonight. So, hey, what's wrong with a little irrational hope?

As long as you know its irrational, its all good. :D

End of the day, really who cares?

Ultimately, none of this is really going to matter.

At the end of the day, the only thing I really care about at this point is that Penn stays in the organization and gets his shot in the majors...a real shot.

He may be nothing but its time we find out.

One thing this season should be good for is weeding out the pretenders from the contenders.

I really do not have a problem, with the revolving door, as long as it is not BB or Hill they are fooling with. Put them in there and let them have a serious run at it. I for one, would stick Penn in there and make him prove that he is not a MLB pitcher. Unless he steps up tomorrow, I do not think that will happen.

YEa..I agree with all of that.

Really, I don't have anything against giving Simon a chance...Afterall, he should get the chance over Hendrickson and Eaton and probably Bass.

I personally don't feel he should get the chance over Penn though and that is really my issue.

I agree with everyone else. Release Eaton.

Guthrie and Uehara are locks.

Simon and Bass look like they can carry the load for at least some of April.

Penn could as well. If Penn doesn't pitch well tomorrow, let Hendrickson take the 5 spot.

Our pen should look like this to start the season.

Hendrickson/Penn (Pick one)

Albers

Safarte

Baez

Walker

Sherrill

JJ

Ray

If we need to go to 12 pitchers, send Albers down for a week or two.

Archived