Renamed Wow Simon

wildcard

Would he be the most unlikely success story in Orioles history? Who else is in the running? Dave Johnson, being on of the go-to starters in the '89 pennant race as a 29-year-old rookie with an 83 mph fastball who'd been living in a trailer park? Kevin Hickey, rescued from some kind of softball league? Dan Boone, 5' 7" left-handed knuckleballer from the senior league? Anybody else?

Melvin Mora has had one of the crazier career paths, I guess

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like we have a serious darkhorse here on our hands. Alfredo Simon has had the best spring of any of the starting pitching candidates and some bloggers and posters have him penciled in at the 3 spot in the rotation.

I don't know a whole lot about the guy except he's big, about 6'4", throws hard, reaching 94 in his last start. I read where DT said that if he can maintain the release point on his breaking pitch(es), then they think that will make him into a much better pitcher than his prior record may show. I know he had some sort of nice breaking pitch going yesterday to strike out Wright and Delgado late.

Has anyone seen him pitch and can they give us an idea on what his pitches are?

Secondly, what kind of ceiling does this guy have?

Lastly, I remember AM saying he was an international signing from Mexico. I know he pitched in Mexico, but he was born in D.R. What did MacPhail mean by that? Even Mexican ballplayers are pretty common in MLB.

It looks like we have a serious darkhorse here on our hands. Alfredo Simon has had the best spring of any of the starting pitching candidates and some bloggers and posters have him penciled in at the 3 spot in the rotation.

I don't know a whole lot about the guy except he's big, about 6'4", throws hard, reaching 94 in his last start. I read where DT said that if he can maintain the release point on his breaking pitch(es), then they think that will make him into a much better pitcher than his prior record may show. I know he had some sort of nice breaking pitch going yesterday to strike out Wright and Delgado late.

Has anyone seen him pitch and can they give us an idea on what his pitches are?

Secondly, what kind of ceiling does this guy have?

Lastly, I remember AM saying he was an international signing from Mexico. I know he pitched in Mexico, but he was born in D.R. What did MacPhail mean by that? Even Mexican ballplayers are pretty common in MLB.

Fastball, change/splitter, and a pretty bad curve is what I saw last night.

He came out of the Mexican League last year around the same time we got Bass if I remember correctly. I remember seeing him pitch a gem last year in his debut. I said on here earlier he reminds me of Liz when Liz's stuff is working. I think his ceiling is pretty high, he has a hard electric fastball with good side to side movement (from what i remember) and I do not remember the secondaries.

That doesn't sound like a recipe for success necessarily, though there is a little variety. Is the curve just not under any control? Not sharp?

That is what I saw. Big loopping pitch that mostly sailed outside and high. Most major league hitters will not offer at it if that is the best he can do.

What he did very well last night was consistently locate his 94 MPH fastball. He seemed to be able to go inside or on the outside corner for strikes. Later in the game he threw some really good change/spitters that good batters like Wright and Delgado couldn't hit or didn't offer at. I think Wright is in a slump though.

The Mets didn't seem to be working the count like we are used to seeing the Red Sox and Yankees do. Could have been that it was ST and it could be that the Mets just don't do that. I don't know the Mets well.

I saw his one start last year (7.2 IP, 3 ER, 2 of which were n the final inning) and he looked very good. Very live fastball, good breaking stuff.

BTW, he shouldn't be lumped in with Liz, other than the superficial fact that they are both black and Dominican. Simon's minor league BB/9 is a hair under 3.00. Walks have not been a big issue for him. Allowing a lot of hits was his issue in the minors - unlike Liz who allowed far fewer hits and many more walks.

I saw his one start last year (7.2 IP, 3 ER, 2 of which were n the final inning) and he looked very good. Very live fastball, good breaking stuff.

BTW, he shouldn't be lumped in with Liz, other than the superficial fact that they are both black and Dominican. Simon's minor league BB/9 is a hair under 3.00. Walks have not been a big issue for him. Allowing a lot of hits was his issue in the minors - unlike Liz who allowed far fewer hits and many more walks.

I compare him to Liz aside from the fact that they're both from the Dominican. Read what everyone has said about Simon and tell me that doesn't sound like someone describing Liz....when he's on. Live hard fastball 1 good offspeed pitch, trouble repeating his motion leading to no success in the majors...I'm not lumping him with Liz, but his upside IMO rivals Liz and his flaws are similar(minus the extreme walk rate)

what they mean by splitter/change is that they do not know which one it is. They are completely different. A splitter has funny spin on it, almost like a screwed up knuckle ball. The thing is is that changes and splitters can have similar movement and can evoke a similar reaction out of a hitter. A classic change though will make you swing and miss the pitch because you are expecting a fastball and it throws your timing off. A classic split is thrown harder than a change and makes u swing and miss it because it had so much movement. But like I said they can move identically, it depends on the spin and the grip...and a change is typically safer on the elbow

Archived