Your All Time Favorite O's Catcher

sfosfan

Chris Hoiles by FAR

...and to be honest, it's going to take a LOT of solid seasons from Wieters before he replaces him. I'm not dethroning Hoiles after one nice rookie year.

Hoiles perhaps only for this moment

full count, 2 outs, bases loaded, O's down by 3 in the bottom of the ninth. A-Rod had hit a home run earlier to make it 13-10 Seattle. I want to say this happened in 1996.

Ahhh you mean this blessed event

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL199605170.shtml

I was there for this one as well and I can tell you it was phenomenal. I thought Cal was going to be the hero because he had men on 2nd and 3rd with two out... but he took the walk. When Hoiles hit the homer (just a few feet away from me jumping around like a maniac) it started to rain as if on cue.

I'll never forget that game.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No Fruit Loops?

Another vote for "Hoiles. So far."

Mickey Tettleton ....Dont know why ...I guess I liked the name or the Fruit Loop thing..Or the Batting stance ???

My non-joke answer is Tettleton. Amazing how many of my favorite somethings in Orioles history were on that '89 team.

Chris Hoiles by FAR

...and to be honest, it's going to take a LOT of solid seasons from Wieters before he replaces him. I'm not dethroning Hoiles after one nice rookie year.

Ahhh you mean this blessed event

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL199605170.shtml

I was there for this one as well and I can tell you it was phenomenal. I thought Cal was going to be the hero because he had men on 2nd and 3rd with two out... but he took the walk. When Hoiles hit the homer (just a few feet away from me jumping around like a maniac) it started to rain as if on cue.

I'll never forget that game.

The one and only :). I wasn't there for it. Was watching it at home on TV. I guess I was wrong. A-Rod got his grand slam in the 8th not the 9th that game. Either way. It's the kind of finish every kid daydreams about. Hoiles also had one game against the Indians in 98 or 99 where he had two grand slams in one game. His defense as mentioned was nothing special but I liked the guy's pop.

My all time favorite catcher is my user name. When I first started rooting for the O's, big Gus was the most recognizable player for me. My cousin was a Senators fan and I loved the O's. We used to have Jim Lemon versus Gus Triandos home run hitting contests in the backyard.

My affection would later turn to Brooks, Frank, Boog and others, but Gus was my first hero.

The Dominican trio of Cesar Devarez, Melvin Rosario & Alberto Castillo has to get props.

But I really want to mention Dave Criscione (for his walkoff homer in 1977)and John Stefero (for consecutive game-winning, walkoff hits as a rookie in September, 1983). All three of those hits beat the Brewers.

Lenny Webster always seemed to come through whenever I was watching, too.

The Dominican trio of Cesar Devarez, Melvin Rosario & Alberto Castillo has to get props.

But I really want to mention Dave Criscione (for his walkoff homer in 1977)and John Stefero (for consecutive game-winning, walkoff hits as a rookie in September, 1983). All three of those hits beat the Brewers.

Lenny Webster always seemed to come through whenever I was watching, too.

Ahhh, Criscione. Weighed in at about 300 pounds, right? Was up when Dempsey got hurt and Skaggs was the starter?

How about a little lefthanded power....remember Dan Graham? Joe Nolan? Earl Weaver was always looking for a catcher with some pop in his bat.

Elrod is one of my all time favorite people in baseball and life.

Fruit Loops was always my favorite player. Mickey and the '89 team were the spark that ignited O's fever in me.

I also enjoy watching Dempsey highlights and his work with masn. Plus he looks like he could be my dad's twin brother. I have a picture of the two of them from photo day a few years ago. I like to call them the mustache twins.

Archived