AL playoff picture

eddie83

Also, since we play the Twins, if we somehow lock up the #4 seed vs. the Yankees we could potentially tank vs. the Twins. We would still be mathematically alive for the division though is the only problem. But do we really think the Yankees are going to drop 6 straight like that? It's possible I guess, but I think I would rather force my opponents to burn their studs.

Yeah I mean, if we are locked into #4 (just say Tigers lose and we lose today) then the final 3 games literally mean nothing to us from a seeding perspective. Would we pitch Suarez and Kremer? I doubt it. So, may not be purposely tanking but if we are trotting Povich and Rogers out instead of Kremer then our odds of winning are down. Plus Twins would really be playing for their lives where we wouldn't be. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Matty2D said:

Are we sure we are going to face Skubal? He is is slated to pitch the last game of the year and if the Royals/Twins keep winning then they are going to have to pitch him. He would likely miss the entire series.

KC also has Lugo and Ragans scheduled the last two games so we would miss Ragans and face Lugo in a potential game 3. The best we can hope for is that KC/DET HAVE to win to secure a spot on the last day.

If I’m the Tigers I care less about who I play than having my Ace ready to go in Game 1. 

51 minutes ago, Matty2D said:

Yeah I mean, if we are locked into #4 (just say Tigers lose and we lose today) then the final 3 games literally mean nothing to us from a seeding perspective. Would we pitch Suarez and Kremer? I doubt it. So, may not be purposely tanking but if we are trotting Povich and Rogers out instead of Kremer then our odds of winning are down. Plus Twins would really be playing for their lives where we wouldn't be. Just a thought.

Suarez should pitch. 

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

If I’m the Tigers I care less about who I play than having my Ace ready to go in Game 1. 

For sure, IF they have a spot clinched. But what if they lose today and the Twins win? There magic number is 3 so that is 2 days worth of games. If the Twins win the next 3 games, and the Tigers lose 1 of them, the Tigers will need to win to get in on the last day (or they back door in if we beat the Twins).

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

Dont imagine you would see us tank. Too many guy thier trying to back up to speed, and the rotation is set. A little rest maybe but a tank no

That’s not in Hyde’s DNA.   If the game is meaningful to the other team, you can’t tank it, that’s unprofessional.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s not in Hyde’s DNA.   If the game is meaningful to the other team, you can’t tank it, that’s unprofessional.  

That's right. You must burn up your best pitchers and be professional rather than being wise and planning for the playoffs :)

2 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

That's right. You must burn up your best pitchers and be professional rather than being wise and planning for the playoffs :)

No, there’s a happy medium.  Sitting Kremer is fine.  Resting 1-2 vets a day is fine.  But we’re not going to play the entire JV squad.   

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Some of these guys haven't had a day off in weeks, if not months. Gunnar better not play every game this weekend, for example.

Just now, Moshagge3 said:

Some of these guys haven't had a day off in weeks, if not months. Gunnar better not play every game this weekend, for example.

That’s fine.  Gunnar’s only missed two games, one of which was the second game of a doubleheader.   He certainly should get a blow.  Dating back to the all star break:

Gunnar started 61/62

Cowser started 60/62, and played in the other 2

Santander started 61/62

Everyone else is reasonably well rested.  Needless to say, Westburg, Urias and Mountcastle probably benefit from playing every day before the playoffs.   

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, there’s a happy medium.  Sitting Kremer is fine.  Resting 1-2 vets a day is fine.  But we’re not going to play the entire JV squad.   

Well they can’t. 

But Henderson and Adley need to sit at least 2 games this weekend and the game they play, it should be at DH.

As fans we can't really know.    I somewhat think letting Albert Suarez pitch to the heart of the order third time in a 3-3 game with meaning for many AL Central teams and an off day on deck may have been an unprofessional tank job.

SIGBOT just might not be that worried about the Tigers.

With good fortune an ALWC Game 3 scenario doesn't occur, but pitching strategy will be under the microscope.     The microscope is almost as intense if you are down 0-1 and Zach Eflin happens to walk a couple guys in the 1st inning.

1 hour ago, Matty2D said:

One of them should pitch. The Wild Card round is just 3 games (tops). So at least one of Suarez or Kremer is not starting in the wildcard round. I don't want my #4 starter having not started a game in so long going into a Game 4 in the ALDS (hoping and praying we get there). Having him fresh for the wildcard round as a potential reliever in a all-hands on deck scenario makes sense, but it I think I'm holding one back (the one I want to start Game 3) and starting the other in the series against the Twins. 

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not really much of a JV squad left.   It's not like the old expanded roster days when you had an entire 2nd team you could put in.

We have a 5 man bench.   And McCann would undoubtedly catch one of the games over the weekend anyway.

It appears the Twins have an all RHP rotation, starting Slater or Rivera in a game wou ld constitute "playing a JV guy".   I don't think starting Holliday in one game would, despite his #s.   I guess Soto too.