What do you expect from Norby?

wildcard

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Showcased over the next few days?

If he doesn't have a long-term spot here, then this make sense.   I get the feeling that they like his bat, but don't think there's a place for him on the MLB roster as they value defense so much.

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

If he doesn't have a long-term spot here, then this make sense.   I get the feeling that they like his bat, but don't think there's a place for him on the MLB roster as they value defense so much.

They may have to give up some defense to get some offense.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Showcased over the next few days?

I don’t think there is any showcasing going on. Teams know who he is and what he can do at this point. I think they added him because they want Holliday to play in the field more and they are still trying to get Mayo’s fit right. Clearly they don’t think he is ready to play third at this level.

So Norby is the most natural fit for right now and then you see. These things can happen quickly but if they felt a trade for Norby was happening sometime in the next day or 2, he doesn’t get the call. So, he probably gets to play 3-5 games.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Teams know who he is and what he can do at this point.

WE don't even know what he can do at this point.  The kid has 14 career at-bats at the ML level.

3 minutes ago, yark14 said:

WE don't even know what he can do at this point.  The kid has 14 career at-bats at the ML level.

I agree, but a week's worth of games isn't going to change anyone's mind one way or another.  I tend to think the whole "showcasing for trades" angle is always overblown.  GMs are smarter than that.

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I agree, but a week's worth of games isn't going to change anyone's mind one way or another.  I tend to think the whole "showcasing for trades" angle is always overblown.  GMs are smarter than that.

I’d go as far to say it has zero value, especially in a small sample size unless it’s someone coming back from injury or the person has dramatically changed something about their game.

In other words, I think the showcasing stuff has more value for pitchers. 

He won't get everyday PAs.  But if he hits in his limited time, he'll get more time.  Like we've seen with HK (whose defense isn't renowned as well).

How much psy-ops gamesmanship from GMs to the fan-base are "showcase games"?