The State of the Orioles Address

BillySmith

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Highlights: (1) AM says the ST facilities are safe, but inadequate; (2) Reimold opened some FO eyes at ST and could very well play here this year; (3) DT may have to go with our starters longer than desired to protect the pen and it could get "pretty ugly".

http://masnsports.com/2009/04/the-state-of-the-orioles-addre.html

1 - Inadequate is still not good

2 - Must be looking at moving some outfileders. Pie, Scott, Riemold, Freel = Logjam

3 - Ughhh

Highlights: (1) AM says the ST facilities are safe, but inadequate; (2) Reimold opened some FO eyes at ST and could very well play here this year; (3) DT may have to go with our starters longer than desired to protect the pen and it could get "pretty ugly".

http://masnsports.com/2009/04/the-state-of-the-orioles-addre.html

Thank you - good news about Reimold. Wish I could be at Fan Fest today.

A fan asked why the O's didn't pursue Pedro Martinez.

Andy MacPhail said - I read he may be looking for between five and eight million. The money is not the issue so much. To me, it's what are you trying to accomplish and can he add something to your foundation and your long-term future. He's developed a little bit of a reputation for having his own game plan and being on his own program. I don't know if we need something like that here. I'm a little surprised he is still out there.

A fan asked about the starting pitching.

Andy MacPhail said - Sometimes Dave will have to go with starters a little longer, because we can't bury the bullpen. And it may not be pretty. There are questions about our starters and rightfully so. I read what some media say about us. Baseball Prospectus has us scoring the second most runs in baseball, God I hope that's true.

The starting pitching is not where I want it to be. You will probably not get any meaningful starting pitching through free agency. I've said this 100 times, we are going to grow the arms and buy the bats.

One of my favorite people right now is John Stockstill, our Director of International Scouting. On opening day, 40 percent of our rotation will come from our international Scouting (with Simon from Mexican Lg and Koji from Japan).

We have pitching in our farm system beyond the three people you always read about. I'm pretty happy with that.

Of the several things about AM I like, one of them is that, when he gets asked a question, he often provides actual answers.

IMO, some folks don't notice because he seems like a CPA, not a bombastic headline-seeker. But he actually tells the truth a lot more than I expect a GM to do.

When people ask how many years he should get, and then I read quotes like this, it makes me think "Well, whatever your answer is, add a year or three".

Face it, he's not only a GM, he's also a fan who grew up around here. Remember the baseball things that made an impression on you when you were a kid? Well, when those things happened to AM, he was living in BAL, watching his dad run the O's, and he named his dog "Brooks". IMO, people should remember this.

If we felt they were unsafe we would not put our players out there.

It doesn't matter what we think, other clubs think they are unsafe and that is unacceptable. MacPhail is just repeating the company line here. Besides we put our ML players in a tent outside in the heat to workout. "Unsafe" seems to mean something different to the Orioles than it does to the better-run organizations apparently.

He moved up in the eyes of some, including myself, with the way he handled himself and the spring he had. He's a better defender than I thought and that carries a lot of weight with me.

Makes you wonder if Pie would have ever been acquired if MacPhail knew that about Reimold before this spring. Hopefully come June if Pie is struggling and Reimold is crushing the ball, the switch will be made.

He's developed a little bit of a reputation for having his own game plan and being on his own program. I don't know if we need something like that here.

Glad to see MacPhail finally dictate why he doesn't want Pedro, and it's because he's a prima donna. We don't want those on our team so I can live with that.

Sometimes Dave will have to go with starters a little longer, because we can't bury the bullpen. And it may not be pretty.

That's what I'd hoped to hear. We have cannon fodder and they are going to be used as such. Glad to see MacPhail has dictated this to Trembley. We've got to save that pen so it can win some games for our younger starters in the second half of the season.

You will probably not get any meaningful starting pitching through free agency

This I 100% disagree with. And is he saying that Uehara won't give us any good starts, because he was a FA? Jamie Moyer was part of the reason the Phillies made the WS last year. You've got to pick and choose the guys, but you can get a decent FA pitcher.

This should pretty much end SG's idea of going after Lackey if he's available. And our old friend Erik Bedard is probably out of the question as well...

I've said this 100 times, we are going to grow the arms and buy the bats.

Well we haven't bought a premium bat yet during his tenure and the FA bats keep getting worse, and we just passed up on a premium bat in this last draft.

You've got to grow both, not just arms, but bats as well.

Well we haven't bought a premium bat yet during his tenure and the FA bats keep getting worse, and we just passed up on a premium bat in this last draft.

You've got to grow both, not just arms, but bats as well.

What is Huff then?

We got Jones, Wieters, Markakis, and BRob.

That is 4 position players right there that are going to perform over league average for their position, and some of them well above league average.

Huff out performed league average last year, and Scott/Wigginton can hit right at league average for DH.

So right there you have 6 of the 9 bats that will be above league average. Our offense is not the problem, we don't need to worry about that side of the ball for years. It will be a lot easier to fill 1-2 holes every year than 6-7 like we had a couple years ago.

And look at the ROI when looking at position players and pitchers. Pitchers for the most part are vastly over priced and rarely live up to expectations. There is no reason to throw money out there for high priced FA pitchers. You are going to get safer money going with bats.

What is our problem?

Starting pitching. Don't get so wrapped up for not taking Smoak.

Take Matusz out of the picture and our pitching in the minors is not as solid as it is with him in the fold.

I liked what I heard from AM. I liked what he said about Pedro and that they would have been interested in him if the Orioles were a couple wins away from a playoff spot. I forgot what AM said when a kid asked him if he thought there was a pitcher capable of winning 20 games for us this season.

What is Huff then?

We got Jones, Wieters, Markakis, and BRob.

That is 4 position players right there that are going to perform over league average for their position, and some of them well above league average.

Huff out performed league average last year, and Scott/Wigginton can hit right at league average for DH.

So right there you have 6 of the 9 bats that will be above league average. Our offense is not the problem, we don't need to worry about that side of the ball for years. It will be a lot easier to fill 1-2 holes every year than 6-7 like we had a couple years ago.

And look at the ROI when looking at position players and pitchers. Pitchers for the most part are vastly over priced and rarely live up to expectations. There is no reason to throw money out there for high priced FA pitchers. You are going to get safer money going with bats.

What is our problem?

Starting pitching. Don't get so wrapped up for not taking Smoak.

Take Matusz out of the picture and our pitching in the minors is not as solid as it is with him in the fold.

Huff is gone after this year, Wigginton after 2010 and ditto for Izturis. At SS we might not be that bad off with Andino and Miclat in the minors, but 1B and 3B still have depth issues and those are important power hitting positions.

And if we didn't have Matusz, we'd still have the Big Two, Patton, Bergesen, Berken, Hernandez, Bundy, Britton, Erbe, Beato, Bascom, Zagone, Drake and Beal and we could always supplement with a #3 or #4 FA starter.

At 3B we have Scott Moore and at 1B we have Brandon Snyder. That's pretty much it for those two positions as ML ready depth, and Snyder doesn't seem to have the power for 1B nor the glove.

This organization can still draft and acquire pitching but there needs to be a better balance of positional and pitching talent in the minors.

AM told you this, did he?

Or are you yet again taking one thing and deciding it means something else?

As of now, they are gone. I don't see any of those guys as LT solutions nor would we want them to be really.

MacPhail could always extend Huff I suppose, but I don't see him doing that as the draft picks would be more to his liking IMO. And Huff will be 32 on the downside of his prime. Wigginton is not a full time player as his defense is questionable, Izturis is acceptable for his defense, but how long will that last really as he'll be 31 in 2011. And he's also injury prone.

What is Huff then?

Someone we didn't get during his tenure.

I do think that buying bats isn't going to be the option it was a few years ago, more and more teams are tying up young hitters to long term deals.

Now where I do think there will be opportunity is trading for some of these young bats if the economy continues to suffer if the ownership can afford it.

Texas ownership has defaulted on loan payments recently: http://www.finalternatives.com/node/7478

and I am sure other teams will be feeling a pinch as well. Also some young hitters might be due for arbitration awards that their teams can not afford, these should also be targeted in finances allow.

Guest rochester

As bad as it sounds and as much as it is Captain Obvious I really like the "it may get ugly" statement. Refreshing and pure honesty. Sounds like most on here....also IMO it means he knows his plan and will cringe with us this year..

Actually, I almost laughed - not a company line statement.

I like honesty - I am sure Bill Bavasi would not have said "we got %&%^&" by the Bedard trade - "Boy, was that dumb."

As bad as it sounds and as much as it is Captain Obvious I really like the "it may get ugly" statement. Refreshing and pure honesty. Sounds like most on here....also IMO it means he knows his plan and will cringe with us this year..

Actually, I almost laughed - not a company line statement.

I like honesty - I am sure Bill Bavasi would not have said "we got %&%^&" by the Bedard trade - "Boy, was that dumb."

If it is going to get ugly and the Orioles are admitting to that fact, you think they'd offer some sort of discount on admission like they did in Sept of last year. Asking people to pay a lot of money to see a losing team isn't right. It's refreshing he's conceded defeat, but also a slap in the face to season ticket holders who bought tickets when the optimism was high that the Orioles were going to have a franchise changing offseason as well as the rest of the fanbase. How can you ask anybody to buy tickets to see this team the first part of the year?

How can you ask anybody to buy tickets to see this team the first part of the year?

Remind them how fun it is to watch genuine stars like Nick Markakis and Brian Roberts and big talents like Adam Jones and Felix Pie and Matt Wieters play baseball.

Archived