Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

4 hours ago, Too Tall said:

We now have all kinds of pitchers showing up in Roger's Neighborhood. And any Burnes contract with Boras at the helm, is likely to be ridiculous. What SG said. Pass on Burnes and off to infinity with this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah … Burnes is only getting so much due to age and peripherals. 

Elias will make the bad decision to keep Rogers no matter how bad he sucks because he will look bad if they release him. 

19 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Nah … Burnes is only getting so much due to age and peripherals. 

Elias will make the bad decision to keep Rogers no matter how bad he sucks because he will look bad if they release him. 

What has he ever done that would make you think he makes decisions on this basis?  He optioned Cole Irvin three starts after trading for him and then DFA'd him twice this year...

7 hours ago, Warehouse said:

Or could you get Lucas Erceg for a package of Seth Johnson, Chace, Norby, and Stowers? He could have been a shut down reliever this year and potentially converted to a starter next year.

Erceg is cheap and not a free agent until 2030.  Seems unlikely they were looking trade him at all much less for that package.

26 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

What has he ever done that would make you think he makes decisions on this basis?  He optioned Cole Irvin three starts after trading for him and then DFA'd him twice this year...

He clearly didn’t expect him to be claimed. 

6 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Erceg is cheap and not a free agent until 2030.  Seems unlikely they were looking trade him at all much less for that package.

They traded him to the Royals (for whom he is now the closer) at the deadline for the Royals 6th best prospect.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

They traded him to the Royals (for whom he is now the closer) at the deadline for the Royals 6th best prospect.

Wow, I forgot about that trade.  Great point.  There must be something about Erceg that made all other teams hesitate.  I guess it's the fact that he was a rookie at age 28 on a bad team and didn't really stand out until this season?  We'll have to wait and see.

The Norfolk ERA only got down to 5.85 with the big blowup early, but Rogers ended up pitching to a 17.5 K-bb% in 28.2 AAA innings, a little behind Povich/McDermott and a little ahead of Young.

I have half a feeling he makes an appearance this week.    I think the club wants him to keep working on whatever he is working on, and he could even be a roster preference over Baker or Bowman depending what you want from the last 1-2 guys in the arm barn any given matchup.

Obviously Grayson gets one of those Baker/Bowman spots if he can.    I think competitive due diligence is weighing and measuring McDermott and Young against those last couple guys too.

On 9/17/2024 at 7:31 PM, EddeeEddee said:

Wow, I forgot about that trade.  Great point.  There must be something about Erceg that made all other teams hesitate.  I guess it's the fact that he was a rookie at age 28 on a bad team and didn't really stand out until this season?  We'll have to wait and see.

I think that was because he was an infielder turned pitcher is why the late start  

Ok so not to beat a dead horse, but AJ Puk got me thinking.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and I’ve got a Gator bias, but to my eyes, what the Dbacks gave up for AJ Puk is comparable to what we gave up for Soto or Rogers.

If you’re Elias, why not target someone like this on the Marlins if you’re already scouting Rogers?

It just highlights for me Elias’ failure to address the bullpen with ML acquistions (deadline or FA). It is becoming a real ding to putting us over the top thus far and is definitely the biggest concern we have going into this postseason.

I came away satisfied enough at the deadline but can’t help but wonder if we perhaps could have combo’d getting Rogers and Puk with an additional fringe top 10 throw in?

I’m still hoping that Rogers gains a few ticks back on his heater (a la Tillman in 2012) and that our bullpen will perform OK in these playoffs. But as much as I love Elias, I’m coming around to the fact that thus far, I think he’s made some head scratching decisions/non-decisions when it comes to the bullpen.

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Ok so not to beat a dead horse, but AJ Puk got me thinking.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and I’ve got a Gator bias, but to my eyes, what the Dbacks gave up for AJ Puk is comparable to what we gave up for Soto or Rogers.

If you’re Elias, why not target someone like this on the Marlins if you’re already scouting Rogers?

It just highlights for me Elias’ failure to address the bullpen with ML acquistions (deadline or FA). It is becoming a real ding to putting us over the top thus far and is definitely the biggest concern we have going into this postseason.

I came away satisfied enough at the deadline but can’t help but wonder if we perhaps could have combo’d getting Rogers and Puk with an additional fringe top 10 throw in?

I’m still hoping that Rogers gains a few ticks back on his heater (a la Tillman in 2012) and that our bullpen will perform OK in these playoffs. But as much as I love Elias, I’m coming around to the fact that thus far, I think he’s made some head scratching decisions/non-decisions when it comes to the bullpen.

I’m not sure why people continue to ignore the ages of Norby and Stowers and how that effected their value.

The Marlins received a 21 and 23 year old for Puk.

Of course the Marlins still ended up with our 2 “old guys” but that was a last minute trade. They may not have known they would deal Rogers at the time and Puk was dealt earlier and may have carried more value.

That said, it’s very possible Elias valued the long term starter over the short term reliever..and I agree that’s a mistake.

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure why people continue to ignore the ages of Norby and Stowers and how that effected their value.

The Marlins received a 21 and 23 year old for Puk.

Of course the Marlins still ended up with our 2 “old guys” but that was a last minute trade. They may not have known they would deal Rogers at the time and Puk was dealt earlier and may have carried more value.

That said, it’s very possible Elias valued the long term starter over the short term reliever..and I agree that’s a mistake.

You mean a AAAA starter.  Sometimes I think he thinks he’s smarter than everybody else, so he does things that no one else would do just to prove a point. I don’t actually think he wants to spend money on free agents. I think he likes the idea of trying to be the smartest man in the room. I think his attitude is going to change somewhat next off-season, After his many blunders at the trade deadline. 

• Haha 1

As I have said before,  someone on the O's thinks they can fix Rogers or they would not have traded for him.   He has lost a couple of miles on this fastball and that could be mechanics.

Rogers has 2 options left so they can fix his in ST and the minors.  His service clock is stopped while he is in the minors.  He has two more years of major league service time left.

It's a little premature to count Rogers as a bust.   Acquiring his is adding a lefthanded starter to the O's pitching depth.  He will turns 27 in November which is not old.  Heck, Suarez is 34 and added a lot to O's pitching staff this season.

11 minutes ago, Spakman said:

You mean a AAAA starter.  Sometimes I think he thinks he’s smarter than everybody else, so he does things that no one else would do just to prove a point. I don’t actually think he wants to spend money on free agents. I think he likes the idea of trying to be the smartest man in the room. I think his attitude is going to change somewhat next off-season, After his many blunders at the trade deadline. 

The O's made the playoffs.   The players  Elias acquired at the deadline helped make that happen.  Without those players and with all the injuries the O's probably do not make the playoffs.   Eflin has been a key starter.  Dominguez has saved 10 for 11.   Soto has an ERA under 2.00 in September.    Slater is a better version of McKenna  and has helped in the outfield.

The O's still have 2 or more years to fix Rogers.   I agree Jimenez did not help but he didn't cost much either.

• Upvote 1