Colin Cowherd bashes O's fans for Tex boo's

isestrex

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, it's not basically your point ;)

He talked out of both sides of his mouth; I have no doubt that had he chosen us over the Yankees he would have said something about how even though he loved Mattingly he loved the Orioles.

One of the two statements of his fan loyalty would still have been false.

And as for him being "sainted", fans will rationalize anything. Which really is basically your point :D, but not at all the issue.

It is entirely the issue. If you're willing to rationalize away any problems when he signs with your team, how can you seriously call his negotiating tactics a character flaw when he signs with the enemy?

All this complaining about Teixeira is just hurt pride over losing out, nothing more. It's like how people scream to high heaven over blown calls that go against them but sheepishly grin and say "well, we got lucky there" when the calls go their way. You can be a good fan and still have some empathy for what the people on the other side are feeling and how you'd feel in their situation.

It is entirely the issue.

No, it's not. It might be the issue for you, but you can't say that's the issue for everybody.

It's certainly not the issue for me. As I said earlier in this thread, way back before you decided to over-simplify the whole thing ...

I don't fault him for signing with whoever he wanted to sign with. I think it's a little bizarre for somebody who was supposedly an O's fan as a kid to do it, but I also think it's bizarre for an O's fan-kid to wear a MFY hat to O's games. So, all in all, I think the fan-dimension of Mr. Tex is bizarre. But I agree he can sign with whoever he wants.

What deserves booing is the way that he sanctioned a strategy of using his hometown team as a pawn in his megabuck signing game. Had he come out early on and simply said that his priorities did not include the O's, given their current state, then I would have no hard feelings toward the guy. I would think he was a weird kid with his MFY cap, but I wouldn't hold that against him. As it is, he intentionally attempted to play the O's as pawns. The only good news is that AM recognized it for what it was, so he didn't get played like a fiddle, unlike the dopes from BOS.

If you wanna say you think it's sour grapes, fine.

But you can't reduce everybody's point of view to the very narrow aspect of it that you want to focus on.

Doing that is not only blowing off everybody who doesn't see it your way, it's also putting words in other peoples' mouth that they don't even mean.

No, it's not. It might be the issue for you, but you can't say that's the issue for everybody.

It's certainly not the issue for me. As I said earlier in this thread...

If you wanna say you think it's sour grapes, fine.

But you can't reduce everybody's point of view to the very narrow aspect of it that you want to focus on.

Doing that is not only blowing off everybody who doesn't see it your way, it's also putting words in other peoples' mouth that they don't even mean.

If he'd acted in the exact same way during the negotiations, and then turned around and signed with the O's, nobody would be talking about any 'character flaw' that was evidenced by his negotiating tactics. They would be talking about how great it was that he did the right thing.

If he'd acted in the exact same way during the negotiations, and then turned around and signed with the O's, nobody would be talking about any 'character flaw' that was evidenced by his negotiating tactics. They would be talking about how great it was that he did the right thing.

Right, if reality was different, then it would be different. But it's not.

If pigs could fly, then we'd have flying pigs. Have you seen any flying pigs lately?

If pigs could fly, then we'd have flying pigs. Have you seen any flying pigs lately?

Wow, sorry for looking a little beyond the blindingly obvious. HOO-RAH, Tex is the devil!

Wow, sorry for looking a little beyond the blindingly obvious. HOO-RAH, Tex is the devil!

You're not looking "beyond the obvious", you're looking beyond the perfectly legitimate points of view that multiple people have tried to explain to you, and which you insist on blowing off as if they're ill-founded.

Nobody says you can't think what Tex did is fine and dandy if you want to. But I fail to understand why you're being so stubborn and insistent about rejecting everyone's point of view except your own. You seem to think that everybody should see things the way you do about a matter that is highly subjective. I can't imagine why you would think that.

No. The reaction in Baltimore on Monday is not because of the economy. It's not because of Teixeira. It's not because we're petty and just want to root our team on, even if our most vocal point is booing Teixeira (which is foolish, given that if none of these 'writers' and blabbering talking heads weren't at the game [ and I honestly don't care. Rosenthal should know better, and who the hell has ever heard of Cowherd?]) They'd know we cheered far louder when our opening lineups were introduced, that we screamed the "O" in the National anthem louder than I've heard in years, and that it was the first time in YEARS that I thought Wild Bill would be proud of a Camden Yards crowd.

If you equate the Yankees-O's game of Monday to our economic woes, you're an idiot. You clearly don't know ANYTHING about the economics of Baltimore over the past 20 years. You don't know anything about SPORTS even. Monday at Camden Yards is what sports around the world SHOULD be. A RELEASE. There's a reason (and it wasn't ESPN) that on a day forecasters said would rain all day, there was a record number of people at Camden Yards, and guess what, THEY WEREN'T YANKEE FANS.

It's the first time I ever saw Yankee fans feel out of place at Camden Yards. It's the first time I heard a Yankees chant be drown out by an O's chant. Hell, it's the first time (given a few) that I've heard O's chants that weren't prompted by the big screen.

So listen here Rosenthal and Cowherd: what you thought you saw on Monday in Camden Yards wasn't the regular bull**** you use to fill your columns, it was the die-hard O's fans who come to the ballpark and cheer on a team that finally looks like they're doing something right after nine 1/2 years.

Baseball's just lucky we've had an amazing football team since 96. There's a reason why Ravens Stadium is one of, if not the loudest of any football stadium in the world. Baltimore is a sports loving town, and it's about time that people start realizing that. The spirit of Wild Bill Hagy will live on.

I saw a couple of flying pigs on Monday after the game. I just assumed at the time that someone had been spiking my kool-aid again. But I might have been mistaken about that.

Archived