Colin Cowherd bashes O's fans for Tex boo's

isestrex

That shtick where he adds "guy" to the end of a group of people he's trying to stereotype is cute. Did he come up with that all on his own? Was he up really late one night thinking of ways to make him stand out? I can't believe people actually buy into his drivel.

Sure, let me take him in context. Am I not allowed to intensely and passionately dislike an opposing player because it's "crossing a line?" Am I wrong because he has a semantics issue with the word "hate" and making it into something it's not? Or am I wrong for intensely and passionately disliking an opposing player because I haven't earned it, because my team sucks so I don't deserve to intensely or passionately like or dislike anything?

I'd be willing to bet a strong amount of money on it being the second and third option here. My opinion wouldn't be ridiculous, goofy, or illogical if I wore a Red Sox logo on my cap.

For someone who doesn't like the guy or who doesn't care what he thinks you seem to know about him. Simply put, if you don't care or you think he is childish and his schtick is unoriginal than don't listen and don't get upset. I can't believe people actually get that worked up over what he has to say.

Is he wrong for thinking you did cross the line or having a semantics issue with the word hate? It his opinion as a non-O's fan period. That's it. He didn't say you didn't earn being passionate or that because the O's have been horrible you shouldn't be passionate. Actaully to the contrary, he said he loves passionate he is fine with passionate.

I would put a large amount of money on Cowherd taking the same side of this argument if Boston fans or Yankee fans were acting similarly.

We can agree to disagree on this I suppose. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, I was simply trying to provide some perspective as to why "Severna Park Hates You" signs may be negatively seen by those not wearing O's jerseys.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Colin leads today's show talking about Baltimore saying it's a stereotypical city whom he bashed. Reads emails from people who said "I never listen but you suck" and gloated how people proved his point by reacting.

"By sending vulgar emails, you proved my point"

Uses the argument that IF Baltimore signed Tex it would have been like A-Rod in Texas where they spent all their money on one player and had nothing left in the budget to field a decent team.

EDIT: now he bashes downtown Baltimore saying "If you're going to take your wife out on the town... once you get past the Inner Harbor there's nothing! New York has everything."

"Blame your owner... don't blame Mark Teixeira"

*shrug* Baltimore's downtown isn't the most hopping place in the world and New York has everything. Not that it has anything to do with anything, nor does it back up his point whatsoever.

He says ridiculous, offensive, and idiotic things for ratings and then laughs when it works. That's his show in a nutshell. Best thing you can do is to save yourself the headache and find good, insightful talk radio somewhere else. WNST and 105.7 are both consistently better than anything outside of Mike and Mike that ESPN wants to throw out there.

1.) It would not have made national attention.

2.) If it somehow did, Cowherd (under direction) would speak of how passionate the rivalry is and how such displays should be expected.

I was enlightened last night by listening to Ken Wyman (Play Makers) on my way home from work. Wyman worked with Cowherd in Portland and went on a ten minute dissertation of how, utterly 100% clueless Cowherd is surrounding MLB.

Actually, Cowherd is quite critical of ESPN regularly. Again, no one (including Cowherd) would claim that he is an analyst. He openly admits that his show is first and foremost entertainment.

Colin leads today's show talking about Baltimore saying it's a stereotypical city whom he bashed. Reads emails from people who said "I never listen but you suck" and gloated how people proved his point by reacting.

"By sending vulgar emails, you proved my point"

Uses the argument that IF Baltimore signed Tex it would have been like A-Rod in Texas where they spent all their money on one player and had nothing left in the budget to field a decent team.

EDIT: now he bashes downtown Baltimore saying "If you're going to take your wife out on the town... once you get past the Inner Harbor there's nothing! New York has everything."

"Blame your owner... don't blame Mark Teixeira"

Referring to Tex's wife.....she would much rather live in NY than B-More.

Maybe for everyone's frail sensibilities, we can get the word out to replace "hate" with "intensely and passionately dislike," that way no one's feathers are ruffled. Since apparently, using the word appropriately is crossing some sort of line that non Yankees and Red Sox fans don't get to cross.

No, I'm pretty sure that Boston fans had a very angry and visceral response to Johnny Damon's departure, had more vulgar and nasty signs than "we hate you," and the national media loved every minute of it because it was good television.

It's good for Colin's ratings to drive up the Red Sox and Yankees rivalry, so he's going to do it every day of the week. He doesn't have some moral issue with what Orioles fans did. He's taking that stance because he knows that he'll get a ton of Yankee fans to call in if he takes that stance. He's not morally outraged. He'll be more than happy to tell you that no one outside of New York or Boston matters to him. He routinely hangs up on callers wanting to discuss anything else.

It's not a different scenario at all. This will happen to Teixeira in Anaheim and Boston as well, and no one, including Cowherd, will have any moral issue with it. Those markets are large enough and relevant enough to have that opinion.

Or, as Colin himself would say, "I'm right, you're an idiot for thinking otherwise. Now let me repeat the same word 20 times in a single thought and make some ridiculous metaphor between this thought and strippers."

He doesn't take many calls so I doubt it matters how many calls it creates. I guess if we see similar signs from Anaheim and Boston and he doesn't take a similar stance than you will be right. My guess is you will not see similar signs in Anaheim and Boston because they do not have the inferiority complex that Baltimore seems to have. I suppose losing your football team and having your baseball team turned into the MLB joke does that to a city.

Again, for someone who doesn't listen to him or care what he has to say you do know a lot about his show.

For someone who doesn't like the guy or who doesn't care what he thinks you seem to know about him. Simply put, if you don't care or you think he is childish and his schtick is unoriginal than don't listen and don't get upset. I can't believe people actually get that worked up over what he has to say.

Is he wrong for thinking you did cross the line or having a semantics issue with the word hate? It his opinion as a non-O's fan period. That's it. He didn't say you didn't earn being passionate or that because the O's have been horrible you shouldn't be passionate. Actaully to the contrary, he said he loves passionate he is fine with passionate.

I would put a large amount of money on Cowherd taking the same side of this argument if Boston fans or Yankee fans were acting similarly.

We can agree to disagree on this I suppose. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, I was simply trying to provide some perspective as to why "Severna Park Hates You" signs may be negatively seen by those not wearing O's jerseys.

I haven't listened to him since 2006 or so. I listened to Mike and Mike and would listen to him as bleed over. He didn't bother me at first, but he became gradually more abusive and dismissive of opinions that differed from his own, and I gradually stopped listening to him as it became more and more clear that he didn't know what he was talking about but had an inflated self-importance about it. You act like you're proving some point that I listened to him at some point. Congrats. I have a gold star for you somewhere.

Obviously you care since you felt the need to come in here and stand up for him. I can't believe you got so worked up about us ridiculing his awful show that you felt the need to come in here and defend him. Most of us don't listen to him. I found out what happened because I listened to 105.7 yesterday. You couldn't get away from it if you listened to local sports talk at all yesterday. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people here found out the same way.

You still honestly think that Cowherd, a guy that freely and openly admits that nothing outside of Boston and New York matters baseball-wise, will have the same opinion when Teixeira goes to Fenway and gets WORSE treatment than what he got at Oriole Park on Opening Day? That's ridiculous. In Colin's world, right now we're haters. When it's the Red Sox, it'll be a testament to that rivalry, and it'll be great for baseball and ratings. It'll be exciting and intriguing. If you think I'm wrong, go ahead and listen to him the day following the first Yankees/Red Sox game in Fenway and get back to me.

If he's fine with passion, then he should have no problem with us hating Teixeira. Again, hate is just a passionate dislike. Textbook definition. So yes, he's wrong for having a semantics issue with it, or for thinking we crossed that line by displaying that passion. At the very least, it shows that he's ignorant of the English language.

*shrug* Baltimore's downtown isn't the most hopping place in the world and New York has everything. Not that it has anything to do with anything, nor does it back up his point whatsoever.

He says ridiculous, offensive, and idiotic things for ratings and then laughs when it works. That's his show in a nutshell. Best thing you can do is to save yourself the headache and find good, insightful talk radio somewhere else. WNST and 105.7 are both consistently better than anything outside of Mike and Mike that ESPN wants to throw out there.

Wait, so you are ok with NST which couldn't be more anti-O's or 105.7 (or the Kool-Aid as I call it) but are going to bang on Cowherd for not being objective or being overly critical? Like I said, he is open about his show being entertainment, I guess if it is not your cup of tea that is fine but then just don't listen and don't get upset with what he says. That's all.

Did anybody hear Michael Wilbon yesterday? Tony Kornheiser mentioned the O's crowd booing Teixeira out of the building.

Wilbon's response:

Good for them! The Yankees don't have to be cheered everywhere they go.

Nice to see someone in the media gets it. :clap3:

He doesn't take many calls so I doubt it matters how many calls it creates. I guess if we see similar signs from Anaheim and Boston and he doesn't take a similar stance than you will be right. My guess is you will not see similar signs in Anaheim and Boston because they do not have the inferiority complex that Baltimore seems to have. I suppose losing your football team and having your baseball team turned into the MLB joke does that to a city.

Again, for someone who doesn't listen to him or care what he has to say you do know a lot about his show.

It generates listeners and ratings, which is the only thing that he cares about. He'll say just about anything to generate it.

Those signs will appear in Boston because he jerked them around to get a higher deal out of the Yankees as well. He'll see them in Anaheim because he pulled a similar stunt there. Has nothing to do with an inferiority complex. Boston fans will do it simply because he used them to get a better deal out of the Yankees, and because he presently dons pinstripes. That's enough for them. You think our hatred is bad? Go sit in the stands in Fenway that weekend.

It really takes about 20 minutes of listening to him to figure out exactly what he's about. I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove by going with the "A-ha! You've listened to him before!" routine. It's not a big deal to me. I listened to him for a bit. His show got worse and more abrasive. I stopped listening to him. Lived in Anchorage. Not like I had alternatives.

Actually, Cowherd is quite critical of ESPN regularly.
He is?

I'll admit I don't listen to every minute of his show...but I've never heard him be as critical of his employer than he has of Baltimore the past two days.

The only way this clown will ever go away is if people stop listening...and sadly that will never happen with his obvious appeal to the larger market fans.

Wait, so you are ok with NST which couldn't be more anti-O's or 105.7 (or the Kool-Aid as I call it) but are going to bang on Cowherd for not being objective or being overly critical? Like I said, he is open about his show being entertainment, I guess if it is not your cup of tea that is fine but then just don't listen and don't get upset with what he says. That's all.

I guess if that is your cup of tea then fine, but listen and don't get upset with people criticizing him for knowing nothing about sports but spouting off like he does.

Did anybody hear Michael Wilbon yesterday? Tony Kornheiser mentioned the O's crowd booing Teixeira out of the building.

Wilbon's response:

And therein lies the problem with most of the national media. They think everyone loves the Yankees and Red Sox. When the truth is that, outside of the diehards in their respective areas, transplants here and there, and bandwagon fans, the majority of baseball fans hate the Yankees and Red Sox and what those organizations are doing to the game.

Wilbon's response:

Nobody is saying the booing is out of line. The issue is the Hate signs.

Nobody is saying the booing is out of line. The issue is the Hate signs.

Which, again, wouldn't be an issue if it was Boston doing it. They drum up that hatred any chance that they get.

This isn't an inferiority thing. ESPN does what they do for ratings. They do what they do to get people to watch them. Yankees/Red Sox games are the highest watched regular season games, so they're going to play up the rivalry and hatred as much as possible to get people to watch. I have no problem with this. Just don't play the double standard game when a team from a lesser market plays the same hatred towards one of those two teams.

I haven't listened to him since 2006 or so. I listened to Mike and Mike and would listen to him as bleed over. He didn't bother me at first, but he became gradually more abusive and dismissive of opinions that differed from his own, and I gradually stopped listening to him as it became more and more clear that he didn't know what he was talking about but had an inflated self-importance about it. You act like you're proving some point that I listened to him at some point. Congrats. I have a gold star for you somewhere.

Obviously you care since you felt the need to come in here and stand up for him. I can't believe you got so worked up about us ridiculing his awful show that you felt the need to come in here and defend him. Most of us don't listen to him. I found out what happened because I listened to 105.7 yesterday. You couldn't get away from it if you listened to local sports talk at all yesterday. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people here found out the same way.

You still honestly think that Cowherd, a guy that freely and openly admits that nothing outside of Boston and New York matters baseball-wise, will have the same opinion when Teixeira goes to Fenway and gets WORSE treatment than what he got at Oriole Park on Opening Day? That's ridiculous. In Colin's world, right now we're haters. When it's the Red Sox, it'll be a testament to that rivalry, and it'll be great for baseball and ratings. It'll be exciting and intriguing. If you think I'm wrong, go ahead and listen to him the day following the first Yankees/Red Sox game in Fenway and get back to me.

If he's fine with passion, then he should have no problem with us hating Teixeira. Again, hate is just a passionate dislike. Textbook definition. So yes, he's wrong for having a semantics issue with it, or for thinking we crossed that line by displaying that passion. At the very least, it shows that he's ignorant of the English language.

My only point is that you said you that his stuff is drivel and that you couldn't believe that people actually listened to him yet seemed to know quite a bit about his show. You also said that you dont care about the national media but yet got hopped up over it anyway. Not looking for any gold stars.

I do care what the national media thinks about Baltimore, the O's and the fans. I believe that basically O's fans are classy, well behaved, and very passionate. That is what I want the nation and the national media to think. I wasn't defending Cowherd per se, I was simply trying to discuss how his opinion wasn't exactly completely invalid.

I think his whole point is that for us to have "extremely passionate" or "hate" signs for Tex for his business decision showed poorly on us. I will listen most likely listen to his show after NY plays in Boston or Anaheim. If there are signs like those in Balt and he condones them, then I will gladly say I am wrong. I doubt that there will be signs, I seriously doubt that if there are they will make the national media, and lastly I am almost positive he will take a different stance on whether or not signs like that are appropriate.

Archived