Colin Cowherd bashes O's fans for Tex boo's

isestrex

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My only point is that you said you that his stuff is drivel and that you couldn't believe that people actually listened to him yet seemed to know quite a bit about his show. You also said that you dont care about the national media but yet got hopped up over it anyway. Not looking for any gold stars.

I do care what the national media thinks about Baltimore, the O's and the fans. I believe that basically O's fans are classy, well behaved, and very passionate. That is what I want the nation and the national media to think. I wasn't defending Cowherd per se, I was simply trying to discuss how his opinion wasn't exactly completely invalid.

I think his whole point is that for us to have "extremely passionate" or "hate" signs for Tex for his business decision showed poorly on us. I will listen most likely listen to his show after NY plays in Boston or Anaheim. If there are signs like those in Balt and he condones them, then I will gladly say I am wrong. I doubt that there will be signs, I seriously doubt that if there are they will make the national media, and lastly I am almost positive he will take a different stance on whether or not signs like that are appropriate.

Because I used to listen to him a few years ago when I lived in Alaska. I did exactly what you've suggested. I turned him off. I didn't get hopped up over the national media's viewpoint on this. I got hopped up over YOUR defense of this idiot. I don't care what the national media thinks, but I will certainly argue with another Orioles' fan who thinks that the media telling them that it's wrong to have that passion against the Yankees is fine.

Honestly, if you think it reflected poorly on us to display signs saying that we hate Mark Teixeira, then do me a favor and never go to Fenway Park. You wouldn't believe some of the things you'd see and hear. You're getting too wrapped up in what you perceive hate to mean and not what it actually means. No one's trying or threatening to harm the Teixeiras. No one's throwing batteries or other objects at him (like they would in New York, Philadelphia, or Boston). Those fan bases get a pass for their "passion," while we're getting crucified for using the word "hate" on a sign. That's not the least bit ridiculous to you?

You're probably right that the media won't make a big deal over those signs in Boston. They're used to seeing them there. That's just par for the course. Hell, that's pretty tame for what you'd find up there. They're not used to Orioles fans raising their voice about anything.

And this is without beating on your point about a "business decision."

I'm hopeful that when I turn on the game tonight, I'll see a sign that reads "Baltimore hates Cowherd!" Someone who's going has to do it!

Honestly, it makes me wish I wasn't feeling sick today. Otherwise, I'd totally rock that sign.

Did anybody hear Michael Wilbon yesterday? Tony Kornheiser mentioned the O's crowd booing Teixeira out of the building.

Wilbon's response:

Nice to see someone in the media gets it. :clap3:

Stupid ESPN who ALWAYS posts their PTI podcast and video forgot to do it yesterday and just put it up :(

It generates listeners and ratings, which is the only thing that he cares about. He'll say just about anything to generate it.

Those signs will appear in Boston because he jerked them around to get a higher deal out of the Yankees as well. He'll see them in Anaheim because he pulled a similar stunt there. Has nothing to do with an inferiority complex. Boston fans will do it simply because he used them to get a better deal out of the Yankees, and because he presently dons pinstripes. That's enough for them. You think our hatred is bad? Go sit in the stands in Fenway that weekend.

It really takes about 20 minutes of listening to him to figure out exactly what he's about. I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove by going with the "A-ha! You've listened to him before!" routine. It's not a big deal to me. I listened to him for a bit. His show got worse and more abrasive. I stopped listening to him. Lived in Anchorage. Not like I had alternatives.

Agreed he talks about NY, LA, Boston etc for ratings. He is open about that, it makes sense he is a national show. But believe me he bangs on all three of those cities when their sports teams screw up. Unfortunately, they do not screw up that often.

We will see if those signs show up and if they do we will see what his reaction to them are if they do. I may be wrong but

There is no "A ha", just trying to establish that you must care somewhat what is being said about us nationally.

Personally, I listen to him as not to get a more national view to hear his national guests, and to be entertained. I used to listen to NST all the time but the anti-O's shtick got old extremely quickly and Anita Marks knows less than Cowherd about sports.

To each their own, just interjecting that I can understand where his opinions come from, thats all.

I'm hopeful that when I turn on the game tonight, I'll see a sign that reads "Baltimore hates Cowherd!" Someone who's going has to do it!
Honestly, it makes me wish I wasn't feeling sick today. Otherwise, I'd totally rock that sign.

Hmmm I'm going to the game tonight and have seats in the 2nd row of section 82:scratchchinhmm:

I think a "Baltimore Loves Colin Cowherd" would be funnier...and likely piss him off more.

He'd have something snarky and egotistical to say about both signs. Who cares? Do it for the laughs and the attention, good or bad, that comes with it.

I'd rather us become known for being hostile and vocal than docile, as we've been known for the past decade.

Honestly, if you think it reflected poorly on us to display signs saying that we hate Mark Teixeira, then do me a favor and never go to Fenway Park. You wouldn't believe some of the things you'd see and hear. You're getting too wrapped up in what you perceive hate to mean and not what it actually means. No one's trying or threatening to harm the Teixeiras. No one's throwing batteries or other objects at him (like they would in New York, Philadelphia, or Boston). Those fan bases get a pass for their "passion," while we're getting crucified for using the word "hate" on a sign. That's not the least bit ridiculous to you?

You're probably right that the media won't make a big deal over those signs in Boston. They're used to seeing them there. That's just par for the course. Hell, that's pretty tame for what you'd find up there. They're not used to Orioles fans raising their voice about anything.

And this is without beating on your point about a "business decision."

I don't have to go to Fenway or NY to get the gist of those fans. I get my fill at Camden Yards. But really, do you want to be like them? I am actually glad that we aren't like them. I guess hate means different things to different people. I suppose I am one of those who need a better grasp on the english language but I personally think those who had those signs showed no class and did not reflect well on the rest of us. Booing is fine and completely understandable. To me, "Severna Park Hates You" just sound bitter and classless and that coming from an O's fan. I can understand how that perception could be prevalent by non-O's fans.

I guess I will have to wait to see if he there are signs from Boston and Anaheim and the media response to those signs to see if you are right.

I don't have to go to Fenway or NY to get the gist of those fans. I get my fill at Camden Yards. But really, do you want to be like them? I am actually glad that we aren't like them. I guess hate means different things to different people. I suppose I am one of those who need a better grasp on the english language but I personally think those who had those signs showed no class and did not reflect well on the rest of us. Booing is fine and completely understandable. To me, "Severna Park Hates You" just sound bitter and classless and that coming from an O's fan. I can understand how that perception could be prevalent by non-O's fans.

I guess I will have to wait to see if he there are signs from Boston and Anaheim and the media response to those signs to see if you are right.

Nah, I don't want to be violent and obnoxious and aggressive like those fans. I don't wanna toss batteries and whatnot. But I want our fans to care, to be vocal, to be passionate in both their admiration and dislike like those fans are. I want the Yard to feel like it did in 1997 again.

Which is exactly what it did on Monday.

Honestly, if putting hate on a sign makes you bitter and classless then so be it. You'd probably feel the same way about most of the other fan bases out there, too.

Why are people still talking about this. Cowherd is a shock jock talk host. Nobody knows if he even believes the things he says. He just says them to get a rise out of people; so people will think he's controversial and tune in to hear what he'll say next. He is irrelevant.

Nah, I don't want to be violent and obnoxious and aggressive like those fans. I don't wanna toss batteries and whatnot. But I want our fans to care, to be vocal, to be passionate in both their admiration and dislike like those fans are. I want the Yard to feel like it did in 1997 again.

Which is exactly what it did on Monday.

Honestly, if putting hate on a sign makes you bitter and classless then so be it. You'd probably feel the same way about most of the other fan bases out there, too.

Yeah, I want vocal and passionate as well. Ultimately, the 4 or 5 signs that I believe were over the line didn't reflect the other 48,000 fans that were simply being passionate and vocal O's fans.

On a side note...if any of you have listened to Cowherd's podcast, he takes to task "Joe Culver of Essex" who was quoted in the Sun:

He's a sellout. I grew up an Orioles fan and to sign with the Yankees," Joe Culver of Essex said, stopping to shake his head. "Really, $180million, [$140] million, are you ever going to spend all that money?"

I grew up with and played baseball with Joe. One of the nicest guys I had the pleasure of playing ball with, but I imagine Cowherd may want to keep his next trip to Charm City a secret after his tirade directed at Joe in which he called him a 'phony' among other things. :D

Archived