Colin Cowherd bashes O's fans for Tex boo's

isestrex

I guess I'm in the minority here, but if you separate Cowherd's actual point from his bias and whatever you think of him personally, I think it's very easy to cross the line between trash talk and abuse. This isn't a political correctness thing. Just that, I mean, I "hate" the Yankees but I don't actually hate them. And I "want Teixeira to fail" but I don't literally want his life to be miserable. And comments like "I bet/hope his family's really getting a hard time over this" make me uncomfortable. I don't really want his mother crying because some drunk O's fan harassed the family at a restaurant or his kid getting beat up at school by some thug bully who got a little into the whole thing. Obviously these are just examples, but it really is a fine line that is easy to miss in the heat of the moment. Mob mentality is a dangerous thing.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are 100% correct. But Tex seemed to indicate that he shared some our feelings about the Orioles. Then after signing with the Yankees, he was suddenly always a Yankees fan.

For me, it's the two-facedness that's a boo-able offense. If he had just kept his mouth shut for the last seven years or so, I don't think anyone would be too upset.

Oh, I agree. He seems change his story on a daily basis. I'll boo him forever.

I just think hardcore fans have a lot of problem accepting the fact that most pro athletes aren't hardcore fans, especially of the fan's favorite team. I'd bet that many MLB players don't even count baseball as their favorite sport. You just can't expect the same kind of to-the-death rooting interest that we have. We're the outliers.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but if you separate Cowherd's actual point from his bias and whatever you think of him personally, I think it's very easy to cross the line between trash talk and abuse. This isn't a political correctness thing. Just that, I mean, I "hate" the Yankees but I don't actually hate them. And I "want Teixeira to fail" but I don't literally want his life to be miserable. And comments like "I bet/hope his family's really getting a hard time over this" make me uncomfortable. I don't really want his mother crying because some drunk O's fan harassed the family at a restaurant or his kid getting beat up at school by some thug bully who got a little into the whole thing. Obviously these are just examples, but it really is a fine line that is easy to miss in the heat of the moment. Mob mentality is a dangerous thing.

I don't want his life to be miserable either and I don't think most of us who will or have booed him feel that way. What we do want and I think you're saying the same is that we want him to be a bust for the Yankees. And of course harassing his family would be wrong.

Guess what guys...Sports is about emotion. Always has, and always will be.

UNC fans hate Duke, Duke fans hate UNC. Ravens fans hate Steelers, Steelers fans hate Ravens. UCLA, USC. Red Sox, Yankees. It's the same thing over and over and over and over.

You have to live in the hard times. In this situation, Mr. Teixeira better have realized this was going to happen. I really don't get why so many people are up in arms about the Baltimore "welcome home" to Mr. Teixeira. Are they like this when UNC goes to Cameron Indoor? You bet your ass they're not.

Live with it. Booing is a part of sports. Hate is a characteristic of sports. I'm a diehard O's fan, and I'm more than happy to hate the Yankees and Red Sox. I feel like it's my duty.

Without the intensity and emotion, what is a sports game?

I don't want his life to be miserable either and I don't think most of us who will or have booed him feel that way. What we do want and I think you're saying the same is that we want him to be a bust for the Yankees. And of course harassing his family would be wrong.

I agree with you. However... what Tex did to us reflects poor character as a person. If his family gets harrassed, I will understand it, not necessarily support it.

I agree with you. However... what Tex did to us reflects poor character as a person. If his family gets harrassed, I will understand it, not necessarily support it.

Oh certainly. I am just saying that his parents don't deserve to be harassed over it. It was their son's decision not his. Now, giving Tex holy hell at the ballpark is something I intend on doing if I can make an O's-Yankees game and I would encourage. And yeah it really does show a lack of character on his part.

Oh certainly. I am just saying that his parents don't deserve to be harassed over it. It was their son's decision not his. Now, giving Tex holy hell at the ballpark is something I intend on doing if I can make an O's-Yankees game and I would encourage. And yeah it really does show a lack of character on his part.

Well... I could be wrong... but when a parent endorses their child's wrong doing... aren't they also guilty? Kind of puts them between a rock and a hard spot.

I disagree completely and entirely. Even the idea that he's actually a bad person for choosing the Yankees seems absurd to me.

So its ok for Yankee and Red Sox fans to boo each other. But its an issue when O's fans boo Tex?

Yea thats the thing I really don't get in all this. Its like because we've lost 11 years, we are supposed to be spineless/passionless weasels?

Thats the only reason this negativity irks me.

Sorry I'm going to cross sports here a little bit to reach my point, but why is it the baseball media believes its sport is not allowed to have negative fan reactions.

I am a Washingtonian who is a Baltimore Oriole, Georgetown basketball, and Washington Redskins season ticket holder, and I attend many Capitals and a few DC United games. All of these teams have tons of fan hate towards their rivals in the stands. At the Syracuse-Gtown game this year (Gtown won by nearly 20,) hate spued from the stands directed mostly at one player Eric Devendorf. Devendorf was fresh off his second suspension in two years for hitting a woman and the language directed at Syracuse was just as vulgar as the crime committed. I was sitting 20 feet from the away bench and there were fans yelling about beating Devendorfs mother the whole game.

Anyone that has attended hockey or football games knows what that can be like, so why the outrage in baseball? Just seems to me like some baseball media guys are way out of touch on this one and haven't been in the mindset of a fan in many years.

I travel a ton for work, so sometimes Colin is my only choice when looking for sports talk. His entire shtick is to promote big markets. He continually breaks this out when people ask him to talk hockey or Reds baseball or anything small market. He'll just laugh and point to ratings when he talks USC football or SEC football vs hockey, etc... So it doesn't shock me that he's siding with the Yankees and Tex. Oh yeah, and shocker of shockers, he's got a huge man crush on Tex. Routinely gushing over his stats and defense. So it doesn't shock me at all. He's probably got about 10 listeners on 1300, so the fact that he's hammering Baltimore shouldn't be shocking.

And no, O's fans were not out of line. And this idea that he took this huge deal we would have never offered is silly. AM routinely made it clear that if he was serious about coming to Baltimore the 7-140 was not a final offer. He simply was waiting for someone to push the Yankees to the $180mm deal. So, no, if he wanted to come "home" he could have for a similar deal. imo. He wanted to be a Yankee and that's all there is to it. Boo him at will.

Oh, I agree. He seems change his story on a daily basis. I'll boo him forever.

I just think hardcore fans have a lot of problem accepting the fact that most pro athletes aren't hardcore fans, especially of the fan's favorite team. I'd bet that many MLB players don't even count baseball as their favorite sport. You just can't expect the same kind of to-the-death rooting interest that we have. We're the outliers.

Totally true.

A related scenario: In a previous life, I covered high school sports for a local daily. I would field phone calls from parents of the losing team every day complaining some story. "Why do you hate [name of my kid's school] so much." or "What year did you graduate from [other school in the story]" These people just could not fathom that I didn't care a lick about either team involved.

So, indeed, fandom really blurs our reality.

Archived