Small sample size this year for Aaron Crow

His team's season doesn't start until May. http://www.fwcats.com/ He will have essentially taken a whole year off from baseball, and it will be very hard to judge how he is pitching now.

Disclaimer: I've never wanted the Orioles to pick Crow. His mechanics are not good and his pitch counts were frequently high in college, both of which make his an fairly large injury risk. Plus he and his agent handle the negotiations with the Nats in a manner that does not suggest he is a ''character' guy.

The pitch count issue applies to Gibson too. It seems to be a Missouri thing.

ETA: This could also be seen as a good thing, because his arm will be well rested. But it will take much longer to build up to even 160 innings.

His team's season doesn't start until May. http://www.fwcats.com/ He will have essentially taken a whole year off from baseball, and it will be very hard to judge how he is pitching now.

Disclaimer: I've never wanted the Orioles to pick Crow. His mechanics are not good and his pitch counts were frequently high in college, both of which make his an fairly large injury risk. Plus he and his agent handle the negotiations with the Nats in a manner that does not suggest he is a ''character' guy.

The pitch count issue applies to Gibson too. It seems to be a Missouri thing.

ETA: This could also be seen as a good thing, because his arm will be well rested. But it will take much longer to build up to even 160 innings.

I don't know for sure, but it seems like it was just as much the Nats fault in this case.

I remember reading the Nats wouldn't go over 3.3 million, even though Crow said he wouldn't accept that amount before he was drafted.

I don't know for sure, but it seems like it was just as much the Nats fault in this case.

I remember reading the Nats wouldn't go over 3.3 million, even though Crow said he wouldn't accept that amount before he was drafted.

I don't have a problem with him not signing; I have a problem with the way he acted during and after the process.

I don't have a problem with him not signing; I have a problem with the way he acted during and after the process.

Fair enough.

I was simply trying to think about how it was for him. Not sure how I would have acted in that situation either. I would have wanted to start my career and would have been pretty upset if the team drafting me wasn't really serious about me.

For the record I think Crow is probably the BPA for the O's at #5. I would love to see Grant Green there (if he still appears to be a top 10).

I think there should be an emphasis on hitting in this draft, but having Crow along with Arrieta, Matusz and Tillman is just too good to pass on. I think the biggest thing for me, would be the O's seeing if Crow would sign immediately if they O's gave him about what he wanted. A month of Indy league and a month plus in the minors could put him in AA/AAA next year and close to a call up. Pitching is still our greatest weakness and I would like to see a good set of SP capable of 1/2 stuff ready to roll.

Do we have any video on Crow??? Thanks:)

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/ProfessionalPitcherAnalyses/AaronCrow.html

Not exactly video, but O'Leary does a good job pointing out the real flaws in Crow's delivery. All video I've seen suggests that he has major timing and hyper abduction problems. He looks like another Mark Prior mechanically.

You must mean he will be an injury risk like Prior was...Because their deliveries look nothing alike......His biggest problem that I remember hearing was he flipped his wrist up when he is about to throw it(I do not know the technical terms) His front side mechanics are nearly flawless though arent they? I am not that worried about him-like I said before, there is no pitcher in this draft that would be around in our slot that has no red flags with their deliveries except for apparently Matzek.....

You must mean he will be an injury risk like Prior was...Because their deliveries look nothing alike......His biggest problem that I remember hearing was he flipped his wrist up when he is about to throw it(I do not know the technical terms) His front side mechanics are nearly flawless though arent they? I am not that worried about him-like I said before, there is no pitcher in this draft that would be around in our slot that has no red flags with their deliveries except for apparently Matzek.....

Not sure you're looking at the same Mark Prior that I am. They both break their hands and lift with their elbows, the both are in positions of hyperabduction at key points in their delivery, and they both have timing problems.

The whole hook in the wrist thing is more a control related issue, not an injury red flag. It certainly isn't helping him, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it will be the factor that leads Crow to TJ Surgery. If that happens, it will be more a reflection of his poor timing.

Crow and Prior are both mechanical messes, and they have a lot of the same problems. That is why I consider him another Prior mechanically. They essentially do the same thing in their delivery, besides Crow's wrist hook.

Archived